Texas RACE thread

Texas has actually put on some pretty good races over the years. Yesterday was not one of those days, but the 2010 and 2012 fall races were some of the best races of those seasons, IMO.

Why argue with people who have a closed mind. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, showing pictures of thousands that paid to watch the race, I've been to both Kansas and Ft. Worth, 1.5's and restrictor plate tracks aren't going anywhere. They draw a crowd, they are fun to go to, and the ones that are complaining the most have never been to one. I have seen trucks, indy cars and cup cars all race at Texas. The reason the first few rows are usually not filled, is because of all the debris the cup cars throw up when they come by, the air is a vortex (like D.W. says) the ground shakes, and the engines whining at 190 plus, you can hear the tires screaming and rubber is flying up all the time. Trucks and Cup do that, Indy cars don't and sound like a herd of angry bees. They don't squeal the tires or even let off so it is one constant hum. When a cup car wrecks on the front stretch, it squeals and squals for a long time, and if they hit, it makes a heck of a noise..like someone said "variety is the spice of life". Be kinda of stupid to have every track the same.

Brad K didnt seem happy about the dominance of the 48 car. Sounded to me like he thought there was some funny business going on. :unsure:

Why argue with people who have a closed mind. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, showing pictures of thousands that paid to watch the race, I've been to both Kansas and Ft. Worth, 1.5's and restrictor plate tracks aren't going anywhere. They draw a crowd, they are fun to go to, and the ones that are complaining the most have never been to one. I have seen trucks, indy cars and cup cars all race at Texas. The reason the first few rows are usually not filled, is because of all the debris the cup cars throw up when they come by, the air is a vortex (like D.W. says) the ground shakes, and the engines whining at 190 plus, you can hear the tires screaming and rubber is flying up all the time. Trucks and Cup do that, Indy cars don't and sound like a herd of angry bees. They don't squeal the tires or even let off so it is one constant hum. When a cup car wrecks on the front stretch, it squeals and squals for a long time, and if they hit, it makes a heck of a noise..like someone said "variety is the spice of life". Be kinda of stupid to have every track the same.

I never understood why so many people dwell on the size of the crowd, Its almost like they want to believe that Nascar is somehow failing.

I never understood why so many people dwell on the size of the crowd, Its almost like they want to believe that Nascar is somehow failing.

Because it goes to show what me and Fender have been saying for years - television pays the bills. If every race was selling out, there'd be no debate about cookie cutter tracks. They're not - and not even coming close even in enormous markets like Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte and Kansas. It goes to show that NASCAR has got to change the model. Why sacrifice losing MILLIONS of TV viewers with a boring product at Texas to satisfy maybe 100,000 people who went to the race at TMS. The millions watching on TV are more important. Sorry that's too difficult for StandOnIt to understand.

Be kinda of stupid to have every track the same.

That's kind of the point. Most of the tracks are 1.5 mile tracks. Half the Chase races are at mile and a half cookie cutter tracks. The only tracks that have been added to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Schedule this century are Chicago, Kansas and Kentucky which all have the exact same layout.

Texas Motor Speedway should be drawing a quarter of a million people every single race. It's not even coming close. That's either because fans are losing interest in NASCAR or because the product isn't very good. And don't give me "the economy" either - the state of Texas constantly boasts that it has the best economy in the world and the same market fills up the largest stadium in the NFL every single week.

Because it goes to show what me and Fender have been saying for years - television pays the bills. If every race was selling out, there'd be no debate about cookie cutter tracks. They're not - and not even coming close even in enormous markets like Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte and Kansas. It goes to show that NASCAR has got to change the model. Why sacrifice losing MILLIONS of TV viewers with a boring product at Texas to satisfy maybe 100,000 people who went to the race at TMS. The millions watching on TV are more important. Sorry that's too difficult for StandOnIt to understand.

I watched the race at home ...................... the size of the crowd didnt even enter my mind. I pretty much believe that if a race sucks on telivision that it probably wasnt too great live either. The first Phoenix race this year sucked live and on telivision but I still had a hell of a good time. I fail to understand how TMS was catering to the ticket buyers and somehow ripping off the viewers on tv. Mile and a halfs just seem to be kinda lame either way. IMO

Pretty sure you are right about who is paying the bills though

I watched the race at home ...................... the size of the crowd didnt even enter my mind. I pretty much believe that if a race sucks on telivision that it probably wasnt too great live either. The first Phoenix race this year sucked live and on telivision but I still had a hell of a good time. I fail to understand how TMS was catering to the ticket buyers and somehow ripping off the viewers on tv. Mile and a halfs just seem to be kinda lame either way. IMO

Pretty sure you are right about who is paying the bills though

The crowd size stood out to me because Texas has been held up as the shining example of success and is always used as "evidence" that we need more mile and a half races. Granted, I'm biased and I will always hate that track with a passion because it is the one and only reason North Wilkesboro was shut down. It's also a large part of the reason why Rockingham was shut down.

Well, Andy, please tell us...what is you you'd like to see Nascar to do?

The crowd size stood out to me because Texas has been held up as the shining example of success and is always used as "evidence" that we need more mile and a half races. Granted, I'm biased and I will always hate that track with a passion because it is the one and only reason North Wilkesboro was shut down. It's also a large part of the reason why Rockingham was shut down.

I understand yer point Andy but those tracks are done for, we gotta move on dont we ???

An apartment building replaced our local dirt track but I dont hate apartment buildings..................................... well I do kind of hate them but not for that reason:)

I understand yer point Andy but those tracks are done for, we gotta move on dont we ???

An apartment building replaced our local dirt track but I dont hate apartment buildings..................................... well I do kind of hate them but not for that reason:)

I do hate that we continue to build new houses when there are millions of empty homes out there now and I also hate that we don't do any vertical development and would rather tear down racetracks and forests to build housing developments.

I think that may have a positive impact on Nascar as some tracks may not warrant 2 races per year, such as Texas, but I'm not sure how to get them to see that :confused:

NASCAR's starting to see it - hence why they're running at Eldora. Going from IRP to IMS was the dumbest thing I've seen NASCAR do in ages.

Fox and NBC pay the bills now, not Speedway Motorsports.

When was the last time a cup track truly sold out?
I would say Watkins Glen. They actually fell only 300 short of tying their all-time Cup attendance record (94,300 in 2002) this year. Interestingly enough, it appears to be the road course events - including Trucks at Mosport, Nationwide at Mid-Ohio/Road America - that are doing really well in attendance while everyone else seems to be faltering.

I would say Watkins Glen. They actually fell only 300 short of tying their all-time Cup attendance record (94,300 in 2002) this year. Interestingly enough, it appears to be the road course events - including Trucks at Mosport, Nationwide at Mid-Ohio/Road America - that are doing really well in attendance while everyone else seems to be faltering.

The road courses are in hungry markets. The cookie cutter tracks are in markets that have had their fill - especially since half those tracks have two Cup races a year as well as Nationwide and Trucks galore. NASCAR NOT running a national touring series race at Portland is dumb beyond comprehension.

Makes me wonder IF there was a road course in the chase, it would generate a bit more interest. It would be refreshing, a race at Road America would be nice to see in the chase...

I thought Watkins Glenn seated 30K.

NASCAR owns Road Atlanta now, not sure if it could handle Cup or not but i'd think they would want to put a Nationwide or truck race there at some point. Great track.

I do hate that we continue to build new houses when there are millions of empty homes out there now and I also hate that we don't do any vertical development and would rather tear down racetracks and forests to build housing developments.

That damned almighty dollar is to blame for everything that isnt good. These poor little tracks just cant cut it without that TV money

PIR said no ------------------ you looking on craigslist ????

Several other ticket venues have tickets as well. I did see that PIR is only offering the $40 hill tickets with free rattlesnakes.

PIR is the next race on my bucket list.

Several other ticket venues have tickets as well. I did see that PIR is only offering the $40 hill tickets with free rattlesnakes.

PIR is the next race on my bucket list.

Pretty sure you will enjoy it, Its really a nice place in my book

Brad K didnt seem happy about the dominance of the 48 car. Sounded to me like he thought there was some funny business going on. :unsure:
He's always blamed some sort of conspiracy on the 48's dominance. I do believe it was after last year's chase race at Texas when he said something along the lines of "it's hard to win when you have a guy that's handed the race every week."

He's always blamed some sort of conspiracy on the 48's dominance. I do believe it was after last year's chase race at Texas when he said something along the lines of "it's hard to win when you have a guy that's handed the race every week."

And then he wins the cup ........................................ go figure huh

Back
Top Bottom