That was one of the worst broadcasts I have very seen

Worst coverage I have ever been subjected to. Now that I have read these posts, I see my opinion isn't much different than many others.
Never thought I would say this but "I miss Jeff Gordon" Letart should have stayed a CC and the Mayor should run for politics. He can talk a lot and say nothing. On the exfinity race, the idiot in the sound mixer kept listening to the engine wound right up and drowned out any commentary.
I was hoping that jerk would not be back this year.
Maybe they will do better when they are on a little cable channel no one watches. :)

Did anyone else notice their "Through The Field" consisted of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then 24th place Ryan Newman? Then cut to commercial. o_O

No talk/replays about Kurt spinning at the end? Where are all the driver interviews? They are too busy showing Brad's half assed burnouts for a good 10 minutes.

I knew NBC loved commercials, but this was ridiculous. And when they were actually showing racing, the commentary was mediocre at best.

I thought the coverage was OK. I thought Burton was a little rusty. I don't know how many commercials they had but 1/3 of all TV time is commercials (at least they had more side-by-side).

NBC has turned its NASCAR coverage into an ad-a-thon

Poor presentation of a not too interesting race.
I'm tired of all the blocking and the announcers making such a point of it.
And that race went pretty well according to what someone might expect and they still couldn't get it in, in the allotted broadcast time frame.
How hard is it to set aside enough minutes to show a 400 mile race, figuring a few cautions?
But I do agree this side by side is tons better than fox.

For those of you interested, Caws n Jaws has the stats up. Most interesting is the comparison to last year.

2016: Total race brdcst time 143 Total comm. brdcst time 47
2015: Total race brdcst time 168 Total comm. brdcst time 35

So last year's broadcast was longer but had less commercial time.

http://www.cawsnjaws.com/article/78...o-the-2016-coke-zero-400-powered-by-coca-cola

Last year's race was in overnight hours. This year's was in prime time.

Huge difference there.

The only thing I hate more than a commercial ? A side by side commercial

Did anyone else notice their "Through The Field" consisted of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and then 24th place Ryan Newman? Then cut to commercial. o_O

No talk/replays about Kurt spinning at the end? Where are all the driver interviews? They are too busy showing Brad's half assed burnouts for a good 10 minutes.

I knew NBC loved commercials, but this was ridiculous. And when they were actually showing racing, the commentary was mediocre at best.
Can't do a 'Through the Field' in the four minutes they had between ads.

Terrible coverage. Way too many commercials, bad camera work, commentators are boring, no interviews after the race. Can't wait until next year when FOX is back.

I see I'm not alone in that the broadcast had an unusually high number of commercials. That has to be the worst broadcast I've ever seen and I've been watching racing of all sorts for a very long time. Except for the last 6 or 7 laps, I never counted more than 4 consecutive laps without a commercial.

For those of you interested, Caws n Jaws has the stats up. Most interesting is the comparison to last year.

http://www.cawsnjaws.com/article/78...o-the-2016-coke-zero-400-powered-by-coca-cola
That includes caution periods as well, and most of the air time last night was during caution periods. If they only measured green flag coverage, I bet only 35% of the race would have been broadcast instead of 75%.

To everybody that says "the ratings were 100% in my house" or "TV ratings don't matter to me", this is why they matter. When there aren't as many people watching, the value of each ad goes down, and more ads must be sold to compensate.

You are 100% correct as all the ad spaces may have been sold but at what cost? How many 2 for 1's and deeply discounted rates are in place in order to get all ad slots sold?

One of the worst broadcasts? I think you're being generous.

The first time I heard Rick Allen getting excited over nothing and the 2 others act like they were being paid by the word I hit the mute button. That was after lap 3 or 4.

non stop ---no commercial opportunity is available every race .
buy a ticket...and attend. :eek:...............:D

An even better idea is to record the race and skip the commercials and other non essential crap altogether.

19295-36d579e16861d15bea69155225ef64f6.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    209.2 KB · Views: 171
All this negativity makes me want to listen to Lawrence Welk while sipping arsenic laced
Moxie in a bathtub full of Hydrocloric acid.

Have to echo the posters who thought the commercials were the worst ever. The actual NBC production might not be half bad, but it's hard to make that determination when they're on air for 3 minutes at a time.

Seriously, when they came back from commercials with 17 laps to go I thought, "Surely they'll go commercial free to the end from here. That's why they packed so many commercials in early."

3 laps later they went back to side by side.

I get the whole bit about declining TV ratings and all that, but it's becoming a vicious cycle -- there's absolutely no way they're going to be able to draw in any new fans with that kind of broadcast. If you weren't invested previously, who the hell would sit through that many KFC ads?

Have to echo the posters who thought the commercials were the worst ever. The actual NBC production might not be half bad, but it's hard to make that determination when they're on air for 3 minutes at a time.

Seriously, when they came back from commercials with 17 laps to go I thought, "Surely they'll go commercial free to the end from here. That's why they packed so many commercials in early."

I get the whole bit about declining TV ratings and all that, but it's becoming a vicious cycle -- there's absolutely no way they're going to be able to draw in any new fans with that kind of broadcast. If you weren't invested previously, who the hell would sit through that many KFC ads?

I liked NBC's coverage last year but not this year so far. For those who, like me were infuriated by the number of commercials during the Daytona race (and it sounds like there are a lot of us) , contact NBC Sports and let them know. People do read those things:

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/contact-us/

I thought the NBC broadcast was mediocre, but complaining about commercials is sort of like complaining about taxes. And as noted, last year's race was delayed into the late night, which may affect it, or maybe not. However, the NBC broadcast had less time devoted to commercials than Fox did at the 500 in February...

NBC Coke 400: Race 143; ads 47; total 190 (race = 75.3%).

Fox Daytona 500: Race 155; ads 58; total 213 (race = 72.8%).

The commericals would be better if they had a better theme song like Tnn's from 1994. That was epic. I still hear the amazing sounds of Saturday's night from my youth at Myrtle Beach! My socialization was TNN (The NASCAR Network)

I thought the NBC broadcast was mediocre, but complaining about commercials is sort of like complaining about taxes. And as noted, last year's race was delayed into the late night, which may affect it, or maybe not. However, the NBC broadcast had less time devoted to commercials than Fox did at the 500 in February...

NBC Coke 400: Race 143; ads 47; total 190 (race = 75.3%).

Fox Daytona 500: Race 155; ads 58; total 213 (race = 72.8%).

Agenda driven reporting with the way people are reporting these numbers. NBC also utilizes "NASCAR Nonstop" more than Fox uses "Side-by-Side" during commercials. And, unlike Fox's side-by-side coverage, you can still see the race on NBC. #ContextMatters

Not to mention, the Coke Zero 400 had unusually long green flag runs. This race is normally a crashfest.

You could still see the race.

Seriously, now we're complaining about being able to actually see the race during commercials. :rolleyes:

Commercial free broadcasts aren't ever gonna happen. They could implement caution clocks and the TV networks would just use their commercials during green flag racing knowing a caution is coming, like FS1 does during the Truck races.

It was an absolute disaster. They had tons of audio and video issues all throughout practice. Rick Allen was obsessed with a wreck happening.

You could still see the race.

Seriously, now we're complaining about being able to actually see the race during commercials. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's why people have 50 inch 4K TurboSteroid TVs. So they can watch something in 1/3rd of the screen while Colonel Sanders blares in their ear.

I have an idea, why don't they just use 98% of the screen for the Colonel and have the current running order on the bottom like the news scroll on CNN.

I certainly prefer side-by-side to not side-by-side, but it seems like NBC used it as an excuse to cram in way more commercials.

I certainly prefer side-by-side to not side-by-side, but it seems like NBC used it as an excuse to cram in way more commercials.
Yeah, when nearly 40% of the green flag action is interrupted by commercials in some form or another, that's pretty bad. This is what I was afraid of when Fox and NBC overpaid for the TV rights a few years ago.

All this negativity makes me want to listen to Lawrence Welk while sipping arsenic laced
Moxie in a bathtub full of Hydrocloric acid.

It didn't get any better than Bobby and Cissy on the Lawrence Welk Show except when Steve and Eydie made guest apperances.

bobbycissy1.jpg
N09132_FC_Eydie_Gorme.jpg

Back
Top Bottom