That was one of the worst broadcasts I have very seen

You could still see the race.

Seriously, now we're complaining about being able to actually see the race during commercials. :rolleyes:

Commercial free broadcasts aren't ever gonna happen. They could implement caution clocks and the TV networks would just use their commercials during green flag racing knowing a caution is coming, like FS1 does during the Truck races.

Arguing the merits of one network's coverage of Nascar over the other is like comparing the greater of steaming piles provided by a Great Dane and a Mastiff.

It was an absolute disaster. They had tons of audio and video issues all throughout practice. Rick Allen was obsessed with a wreck happening.

Rick Allen is reason enough to dislike Nascar on NBC. The guy is a complete idiot when it comes to calling a race as he gets orgasmic when he even thinks cars may go three wide or a car slows on the track. I am surprised that NBC would not look to someone more measured instead of excitable fanboi.

Yeah, when nearly 40% of the green flag action is interrupted by commercials in some form or another, that's pretty bad. This is what I was afraid of when Fox and NBC overpaid for the TV rights a few years ago.

Nascar not understanding that sometimes less is more continues to bite them in the backside. I completely understand trying to maximize profit but what have you gained when even after improving the on track product you put on a program that elicits rage? I was out on the lake watching fireworks on Saturday night and watched the race yesterday so I didn't have to sit through the broadcast and I would have been mad at myself if I did.

Rick Allen is reason enough to dislike Nascar on NBC. The guy is a complete idiot when it comes to calling a race as he gets orgasmic when he even thinks cars may go three wide or a car slows on the track. I am surprised that NBC would not look to someone more measured instead of excitable fanboi.

Rick Allen is the Gus Johnson of racing broadcasters. Annoyingly over the top. Just plain overrated in general. You never heard the Ken Squiers and Pat Summeralls of the world getting super excited about something miniscule like Rick always does.

Rick Allen is the Gus Johnson of racing broadcasters. Annoyingly over the top. Just plain overrated in general. You never heard the Ken Squiers and Pat Summeralls of the world getting super excited about something miniscule like Rick always does.
Exactly. They put Rick Allen in the booth to attract new "cool" fans

With the advent of dvr you would think the networks would try side by side but not switch Away from the commentators audio.

Do you people want Bill "Hurricane Hair" Webber back on NBC ?

With the advent of dvr you would think the networks would try side by side but not switch Away from the commentators audio.
I seem to recall seeing some soccer broadcasts a few years ago that had the game coverage in a box occupying 75% of the upper left corner of the screen, with the right and bottom sides were used for commercial content. This was the way the entire game was broadcast, excluding halftime. All audio was from the commentators. This was back in the day of the 19" set with a 4:3 ratio; I'd gladly accept that in today's larger 16:9 screens.

Well said and I feel Rick Allen's description of what I am seeing does not line up with what I am watching. If a car is barrel rolling or in the fence or on fire I can see getting animated but not because cars are going 3 wide or are marginally loose.

I seem to recall seeing some soccer broadcasts a few years ago that had the game coverage in a box occupying 75% of the upper left corner of the screen, with the right and bottom sides were used for commercial content. This was the way the entire game was broadcast, excluding halftime. All audio was from the commentators. This was back in the day of the 19" set with a 4:3 ratio; I'd gladly accept that in today's larger 16:9 screens.
Most soccer games these days are broadcast commercial-free until halftime. No idea how they make money but seems to work for them.

You never heard the Ken Squiers and Pat Summeralls of the world getting super excited about something miniscule like Rick always does.

Ken Squier thought Ernie Irvan was in the 28 car during an entire race broadcast when he was sitting in a hospital bed.

I watched an old CBS broadcast from the 90s the other day and all Ken Squier could talk about is Big E.

Ken Squier thought Ernie Irvan was in the 28 car during an entire race broadcast when he was sitting in a hospital bed.

I watched an old CBS broadcast from the 90s the other day and all Ken Squier could talk about is Big E.

Ken did have early onset Alzheimer's and his gaffs are legendary. The best races from the 90's watch are ESPN broadcasts.

Most soccer games these days are broadcast commercial-free until halftime. No idea how they make money but seems to work for them.
Their viewing audience is large enough to where they only need commercials at halftime. I would venture that if soccer had commercials during the game like NASCAR does, their viewership ratings (and fan happiness) would drastically decrease. NASCAR seems to have tunnel vision when it comes to money - they focus on the NOW instead of focusing on the future. Commercials have done nothing but draw fans away, and in the process it will end up costing them more money long term.

I think I actually would gladly take the good view of the nbc side by sides over listening to Jeff (i just can't shut up) burton.

Makes me long for motor mouth dw.

Well said and I feel Rick Allen's description of what I am seeing does not line up with what I am watching. If a car is barrel rolling or in the fence or on fire I can see getting animated but not because cars are going 3 wide or are marginally loose.

Back when he was doing the Truck series they had a race at Dover I believe it was. Kyle had done his usual stunt of being 12 miles ahead of second and two tracks were racing for 8th. 8th......

The way he called it you'd think it was the 98 500 and Earnhardt had just won.

Back when he was doing the Truck series they had a race at Dover I believe it was. Kyle had done his usual stunt of being 12 miles ahead of second and two tracks were racing for 8th. 8th......

The way he called it you'd think it was the 98 500 and Earnhardt had just won.

I know it is popular to rag on FOX for its coverage but I prefer it to NBC's. If NBC replaced Allen and then either got rid of Burton or Letarte it would be an immediate improvement.

Back
Top Bottom