The 2024 Summer in Olympics

Greg

2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

The mountain climbing in yoga pants at about the 1:15 minute mark is a spectacular start.

10 meter platform diving seems to have gotten more interesting in recent years.

NBC Sports execs looking at this headline and crying:
You could make good arguments either way, and it’s still possible she makes it as a current reserve, but ultimately I think it’s best for her to chill out and take a month off. She’s been going nonstop since pretty much last October and deserves a break from the grind and the spotlight.

You could make good arguments either way, and it’s still possible she makes it as a current reserve, but ultimately I think it’s best for her to chill out and take a month off. She’s been going nonstop since pretty much last October and deserves a break from the grind and the spotlight.

This is good for Caitlin Clark and bad for everyone else. But I don’t think leaving her out was the wrong decision. She wasn’t really trying to make the Olympic team either. And could definitely use the month off to get some R&R.

Lia Thomas cannot compete in the Olympics...
It isn't something I necessarily want to celebrate and I hope that they will find a trans category for her that she will eventually find to be acceptable.

But I don't think it would be fair for her to compete against the women that were born as females.

Olympic Trials for Track and Field start Friday June 21st in Eugene, OR. They'll continue through June 30th setting the team that will represent the US in the upcoming games. While I know this is not too exciting to many here, this is something that both my wife and I been looking forward to for years. Not for ourselves but for our daughter.

Some on here may have read posts that I've made about my daughter's successes over the years at both Ivy Leagues, University of Pennsylvania and later representing Notre Dame. Many I'm sure haven't. In any event, her long-term goal has been to make the Olympic Trials in Discus to compete against the best that the US had to offer. Goal accomplished! She just got notified this morning.

Trust me when I say that the throwers that will represent the US for both the Men's and Women's teams will be among the top that the world will witness during this summers games. For her to be selected to compete for a spot on this Olympic Team was a culmination of hard work and dedication that was over a decade in the making. I know what it takes for these athletes to perform at their top level as I've witnessed it first hand. Most people don't have a clue how hard these athletes work. Many of those that will be representing us work full time jobs as well as train to become the best they can be.

I'm not going to be able to go but my wife is flying out next week. My understanding is that all if the individual events are being broadcast on Peacock. My daughter will be competing Monday June 24th @ 8pm eastern.

For anyone interested in following qualifying meets for the Olympics, links can be found here for the individual events.....

Olympic Trials for Track and Field start Friday June 21st in Eugene, OR. They'll continue through June 30th setting the team that will represent the US in the upcoming games. While I know this is not too exciting to many here, this is something that both my wife and I been looking forward to for years. Not for ourselves but for our daughter.

Some on here may have read posts that I've made about my daughter's successes over the years at both Ivy Leagues, University of Pennsylvania and later representing Notre Dame. Many I'm sure haven't. In any event, her long-term goal has been to make the Olympic Trials in Discus to compete against the best that the US had to offer. Goal accomplished! She just got notified this morning.

Trust me when I say that the throwers that will represent the US for both the Men's and Women's teams will be among the top that the world will witness during this summers games. For her to be selected to compete for a spot on this Olympic Team was a culmination of hard work and dedication that was over a decade in the making. I know what it takes for these athletes to perform at their top level as I've witnessed it first hand. Most people don't have a clue how hard these athletes work. Many of those that will be representing us work full time jobs as well as train to become the best they can be.

I'm not going to be able to go but my wife is flying out next week. My understanding is that all if the individual events are being broadcast on Peacock. My daughter will be competing Monday June 24th @ 8pm eastern.

For anyone interested in following qualifying meets for the Olympics, links can be found here for the individual events.....

That’s amazing. Congrats to your family and specifically her.

Does she have a decent chance to qualify?

That’s amazing. Congrats to your family and specifically her.

Does she have a decent chance to qualify?
She'd have to finish in the top 3 throwing a mark of at least 62.0 meters. Her best to date is 58.02. A win for her would probably be to crack the top 10. Not likely to make the team but just being there gives her the chance.

My daughter is throwing discus 7th in the 2nd flight on Monday 8pm eastern. Will be streamed on Peacock. Heat Sheets just came out today. Throwing 5th in that same flight, barring injury, will be the top thrower in Women’s Discus for the US. She was the Olympic Gold Winner in the Covid delayed 2022 Summer Olympic Games.

IMG_5668.jpeg

*************** Ready to Go ***************
Got all my Olympic schedule book marks pinned on the favorites bar at
the top of the screen for easy access. Thank goodness I have Peacock, it
looks like they will have every event of every sport live and recorded. It's easy
to find and view each event at their site. Next week (or now) we should list some
story lines to be on the lookout for.

I tried, but the soccer, rugby, and football not attracting my Olympic attention yet.
Might give a look to archery on Thurs. the 25th.

Finally found a game/team to hang my hat on.
USA womans soccer team: #9 Mallory Swanson
who is married to Chicago Cubs Dansby Swanson.
She scored 2 goals in 2 minutes in the first half.
USA 3 Zimbabwe 0 final.
1721942970833.png

Lady Gaga is a national treasure who must be protected at all costs.

This opening ceremony is ... different. Very cool, not sure how I feel about the flotilla deal for the Parade of Nations though.
I guess I hath no couth, culture or something but I would have preferred hearing her singing one of her better songs.

Unfortunate that it absolutely pissed down, but I thought the flotilla was a nice change of pace from the usual stadium parade. This is an incredible image:

Back
Top Bottom