The 2024 Summer in Olympics

I was hoping the Wagner brothers would medal but Serbia are certainly very deserving, and probably even quite a bit better than France, just unlucky in the bracket draw. Jokic is the best in the world.
For once I watched a bit more of the Olympics today and I spent the entire morning watching German teams finish 4th.
I say bring on the "couple guys playing against a wall" in the next Summer Olympics. There are new competitions introduced each time.
With the possible exception of flag football all the additions for 2028 look solid.
I'm surprised Cricket and Lacrosse weren't added decades ago.

Peacock and a second ‘primetime’ window have been game changers. NBC has killed it this year.

No disrespect, and I think it sucks Tokyo didn’t get a fair shake, but I think people were just generally fatigued by three successive Asian locations as well.

A lot of people boycotted the Tokyo games because of "kneeling" and "athletes hate America" or something. Everywhere I went, I remember people talking about rooting against the US soccer and basketball teams because "they hate our military."

People around here were more bat**** than normal in the summer of 2021.

Ice cold. The ladies clutched up in the 4x100. Still baffling as to how the men manage to literally fumble and stumble over themselves in this event every four years.

The women's teams always seem to be better at the team sports in the Olympics than men's teams to me.

I'm not a big fan of sports where the outcome is entirely determined by judge's scores.
It's on right now and I have no clue how they determine who won the "battles" .
I said I wouldn't criticize judged sports when I didn’t understand the judging criteria, but I don't see how a form of dance is anything other than an art form. Where are tango, foxtrot, or ballroom?

The IOC could just declare the Olympics as an international festival of sports AND arts. Judging complaints solved. Nobody expects objective scoring for arts.

I said I wouldn't criticize judged sports when I didn’t understand the judging criteria, but I don't see how a form of dance is anything other than an art form. Where are tango, foxtrot, or ballroom?

The IOC could just declare the Olympics as an international festival of sports AND arts. Judging complaints solved. Nobody expects objective scoring for arts.
During the gymnastics events, NBC was explaining in real time what the deductions were and how much they would get deducted, and was able to basically predict judges scores accurately. So I would say there is objectivity in the judging.

Plus, they’ve made a conscious effort to be straight, especially after the French judge scandal at the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake.

During the gymnastics events, NBC was explaining in real time what the deductions were and how much they would get deducted, and was able to basically predict judges scores accurately. So I would say there is objectivity in the judging.

Plus, they’ve made a conscious effort to be straight, especially after the French judge scandal at the 2002 Winter Games in Salt Lake.
In gymnastics they have certain elements of a certain difficulty and the judges determine how well these elements were executed.
But Breakdancing?

The women's teams always seem to be better at the team sports in the Olympics than men's teams to me.
I don’t think you can overstate the effects of Title IX on our Olympic sports with how critical college athletics are to our developmental programs. There’s a ton of investment in women’s sports at that level and it’s only growing, and it pays off.

On the track side the men tend to just throw relay teams together as well. Speed doesn’t count for much when you don’t practice together, especially when the margins are so small like in 4x100.

I can grasp the general difficulty and execution involved when it comes to gymnastics, figure skating, even artistic swimming without knowing the mechanics and technicalities involved, but I’m missing something with breakdancing.

I can grasp the general difficulty and execution involved when it comes to gymnastics, figure skating, even artistic swimming without knowing the mechanics and technicalities involved, but I’m missing something with breakdancing.
According to three sources (Olympics, NBC, Reuters), breaking judging includes an 'originality' component.

Aren't the next summer games in LA? Maybe we can get pole dancing as an exhibition sport?

I’m so glad KD, LeBron, and Steph got one Olympics together. Literally a once in a generation event. These last two games have been the stuff of legends and there’s gonna be a huge hole to fill when they retire.

Because he gives his opinion on social issues. Also he used to be slightly insufferable with some of his crying on the court. But he's just an unbelievable player and icon. I like him. No use hating all time greats. Enjoy it. He won't be around forever
I normally only watch basketball when Caitlin Clark plays or during the Battle of the Blues but Lebron, Durant and Steph Curry are extraordinary. And fun to watch.

I’m so glad KD, LeBron, and Steph got one Olympics together. Literally a once in a generation event. These last two games have been the stuff of legends and there’s gonna be a huge hole to fill when they retire.
It was special stuff. 3 of the all time greats near the end and putting all of their egos aside to win gold

Yabusele and Wemby were phenomenal. Yabusele putting LeBron on a poster in the first half is something literally no one ever does, that was legitimately insane. And Wemby, at age 20, is only going to get better. France are gonna be factors for a long time. Just ran into an absolutely legendary squad.

Heck of a game. Both teams played well. James amazes me with his passing. and what can one say about Curry. USA had some of the all time greats on this team.

lets see tomorrow if the Women can do as well against France for the Gold.

The gold medal race is really close. I think we're trailing China by 1
Women’s basketball is a lock. One of our high jumpers had a chance to share gold with a Kiwi earlier today but they went for a jumpoff instead, and he wound up with silver. Women’s volleyball is also at play tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom