The 600 RACE thread ---

Maybe you are right mreed..I dunno...I am just soo dissapointed :(
Chin up! The hype will be back @ dover :D

Worst race of the year, as usual for the 600, amplified by the fact that Jimmie won.
Wtf? Pass for the lead with 2 laps to go. Good amount of passing going on. You finally got the long green flag runs youve been wanting. Nascar even threw a yellow for a plastic cup so you have something to bitch about! :eek: Restarts were hairy and you never knew when the next engine was gonna pop. Pit strategy was a must. Pretty fun in my opinion.

Im beginning to think you just hate racing now :D

Last edited:
I know this is going to bring all the 88 haters out but what happened to Jr's car? I have seen several articles that said he had engine problems. Looking at the lap-by-lap, ran in the top 5-7 most of the race.
Now, since we know it was just caused by the fact that Jr doesn't belong on the track, dad's coattails, etc.
Seriously, does anyone know happened?
Hendrick said it was a vibration caused by a brake problem or articles say it as engine trouble.

I have to say, from a competitive stand point .. I wouldn't want to say what was really the problem. Why give your competitors the advantage of knowing what exactly failed? Once they've had a chance to look at it and consider how that information could be used to help others, then maybe I'd let the cat outta the bag.

http://www.dalejr.com/news/dalejr/2014/05/25/engine-vibration-leaves-junior-19th-at-charlotte

After several varying pit strategies, Earnhardt Jr. eventually found himself cycled back to his earlier top-five running position when he reported an engine vibration just past lap 300. Initially, Earnhardt Jr. told Letarte his water temperature and pressure gauges were flashing red, then the vibration became the focal point. The issue became too much to handle at lap 310 as Earnhardt Jr. told the team he was losing power and felt the engine was on the verge of failing. Letarte opted to bring Earnhardt Jr. to pit road instead of risking further damage.

In the pits, the No. 88 team looked under the hood to diagnose the issue. They sent Earnhardt Jr. back on track several laps down to nurse the engine the remainder of the race. Back on track, Earnhardt Jr. was able to post competitive lap times down the stretch en route to a 19th-place finish.

DALE JR. QUOTES
“I don’t really know what went wrong. It just started shaking really bad. Knowing that the 10 and 41 had issues, I wasn’t really going 100 percent to try to preserve the engine. The vibration got a little better late in the race, but it was never the same.

Just trying to understand why they didn't run her Kansas car?

Hindsight is 20/20.

Also, the car showed tremedous speed but tightened up like a sumbich once the sun was off the track. All part of the learning curve.

heres a question...do teams yank the blown motors in these cars or do they just get a new car? I would think th at the car could be saved ... guess it depends on what the motor takes out along with it when it gives up the ghost...just curious

How about an engine that runs on all cylinders for 600 miles? I've said this for years it's time to shorten the races, especially the 600. Or how about a 2 day race 300 miles each day?
Shorten the races? Go watch the nationwide series.

Nascar is already cutting horsepower

How about an engine that runs on all cylinders for 600 miles? I've said this for years it's time to shorten the races, especially the 600. Or how about a 2 day race 300 miles each day?

Racing engines are designed to be just strong enough to survive full power for one race. Can they make one to last 24 hrs? Sure ... and add 40lbs of rotating mass in the process, and finish last in every single race with not a single blowup in 10 seasons. Seriously, how many motors were out there and how many blew up? And how many didn't?

Considering we went a third of the way through the season without him winning, and the fact that it wasn't luck or strategy that gave him the win, I did not feel the searing rage that travels through my body, soul, and mind that normally happens when soon-to-be 28-time wins.

Well hopefully it is a consolation to know that the 28th time cannot happen for at leasts another 22 years or until the year 2028.

Racing engines are designed to be just strong enough to survive full power for one race. Can they make one to last 24 hrs? Sure ... and add 40lbs of rotating mass in the process, and finish last in every single race with not a single blowup in 10 seasons. Seriously, how many motors were out there and how many blew up? And how many didn't?
Never said a 24 hour race I said 2 races 300 miles each day. The more I think about it the more I like it. 300 on Sunday & 300 miles on Monday. The idea has nothing to do with making the engines last. Every year I get bored watching the 600. Maybe NA$CAR needs to think about limiting each team so many engines like F1.

I didn't suggest you did say that Blue. I said that to point out that these same engine builders DO produce engines that last much longer. But race engines are built to the razor's edge of it's durability. If your engine isn't at risk of blowing up during a race, you're not trying hard enough. Having one engine in a series of 10 fail during a race, particularly towards the end (for an engine builder) is in fact a good thing. If they all make it, it means you could have shaved a gnat's cunthair more off and gotten another 1/100th out of it.

Sorry but you're wrong. If you're slow through the turn it kills your speed in the straights.

If it was engine issues that made her fall back so early, don't you think she would have known and said something?
That is why i used the word little. Yes it has some coming out of the turn, but if you have enough engine power you should start gaining back before you get to the other end of the straight away and she didn't have anything for them on the straight away. I don't know when she first told them about her engine problem but she may have gradually been losing compression and not realized she was having a serious engine problem for a while. It doesn't really make any difference if it was early engine problems or handling problems she was haulling ass at the start before something changed in her car. Now, they have to figure out why they lost two engines and why Tonys car wasn't any more competitive then it was... and how they are going to strengthen Harvicks pit crew.

Never said a 24 hour race I said 2 races 300 miles each day. The more I think about it the more I like it. 300 on Sunday & 300 miles on Monday. The idea has nothing to do with making the engines last. Every year I get bored watching the 600. Maybe NA$CAR needs to think about limiting each team so many engines like F1.
From Thur night to Sun night... I watched some recorded and some live, Allstar race,Truck race, Cup practices, Cup qualifying, Nationwide practice, Nationwide qualifying, Race Hubs, all the pre race shows, Nationwide race, F1 practice-qualifying-and race, plus a 2.5 hour F1 documentary, Motorcycle race, Indy qualifying, Carb day, Indy Lights race, Indy 500 race, Coke 600 race, and the Atlanta and Topeka qualifying and drag races. I never really got bored, but my arse is a little sore from sitting so long.:D

From Thur night to Sun night... I watched some recorded and some live, Allstar race,Truck race, Cup practices, Cup qualifying, Nationwide practice, Nationwide qualifying, Race Hubs, all the pre race shows, Nationwide race, F1 practice-qualifying-and race, plus a 2.5 hour F1 documentary, Motorcycle race, Indy qualifying, Carb day, Indy Lights race, Indy 500 race, Coke 600 race, and the Atlanta and Topeka qualifying and drag races. I never really got bored, but my arse is a little sore from sitting so long.:D
:cheers:

That's the difference between a hardcore racing fan and a casual fan. I have never even thought about shortening a race, hope I never do. watched most of what you posted, and watched John's daughter break the 100th win by a women at Topeka after the 600. Some of us never get enough.

So, if you mash the gas, you burn fuel, and if you let off the gas, you don't.

Thanks, DW.

I wish I could see that clip again, but I think DW just didn't articulate enough.

I think he was admiring BK
for flipping the switch and free rolling without even engine-braking or using the gears for back pressure to truly free rolling thru the corners. Which fully economized the consuption.

The stuff might be boring but late in the race, when Brads effort may have changed the outcome, it was probably the best point to be made at the time.

I wish I could see that clip again, but I think DW just didn't articulate enough.

I think he was admiring BK
for flipping the switch and free rolling without even engine-braking or using the gears for back pressure to truly free rolling thru the corners. Which fully economized the consuption.

The stuff might be boring but late in the race, when Brads effort may have changed the outcome, it was probably the best point to be made at the time.
Yeah, I agree with you. I just thought that how he said it was hilarious.

I'm probably one of the few people here that will admit to liking DW, but I feel obligated to pick on him one time during every race. I missed the first half of it this week, so there was no way I was gonna let that gem slip by. LOL.

And I'm also one of the few that doesn't find fuel mileage racing boring at all. That stuff can get real exciting towards the end of a race, when everyone's biting their nails wondering who's gonna make it back to the flag and who's gonna run out of gas.

I listened to the 24 team during the race on raceview and what seems to have slipped by everyone is if not for the final caution, barring any problems, JG would have won the race. He was behind the 99 by 2 seconds but gaining a full second a lap on both cars in front of him and leaving the ones behind him. He also had plenty of fuel. He was on the same strategy he was on when he won at Kansas.

An obviously pi$$ed off post race presser with Kevin.

Now, sure these guys are entitled to say what they want but is it always the smartest thing to do? Personally I don't think so. His crew knows there was an issue. Harvick continuously pointing it out isn't going to do a thing to make the team any better. Internal moves may be the thing more in need. Some things go without saying. Win as a team / lose as a team. Publicly lambasting the crew isn't the answer. JMO

Yep, he was a little upset. But, i can't say as i blame him for being a little upset. He has one of the best cars out there and he is driving his butt off...and the same weak link in the chain for success keeps breaking...and they weld it back up and then it breaks again somewhere else. Eventually, they may have to replace the whole chain, or at least the used up links. But, with that being said...they may have been doing this already. I guess only insiders would know.

It has to be frustrating for Harvick to have and honest shot at 3 or 4 wins get taken away. Without these problems, he would already be having a career year. When they get it figured out, Kevin will be tough to beat.

I'm not a huge fan of this race, but one 600 miler in a 36 race schedule isn't gonna kill anybody.

Back
Top Bottom