The Announcers Thread

I'd go MRN for the races, but Bagley in the turns is worse that what is in the network booth.

Little harsh but ok
Perhaps. Bob, Benny, and Ned had such a way of adding their perspective without being so goofy. Joy plays the daddy trying to get his kid (Bowyer) under control, and last year, Gordon was the good kid trying to keep up with Bowyer. It was terrible. How many references are we going to have to endure of Tony babbling about keeping Clint under control at SHR?

I'm kinda half waiting for Todd Gordon to show up in some broadcasts

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

They would be super dry, that's the problem. You typically don't get personality from those types
Really good point....but I think that is where a network could actually train a guy to be in the booth instead of just throwing them in there and asking for their personality.

I'm kinda half waiting for Todd Gordon to show up in some broadcasts

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Bingo! I like Gordon. He is great on NASCAR Radio....just himself....great insights....Doesn't have to yuck it up every 5 seconds for entertainment value....

I mean, why don't we wait and see before we fill our heads with preconceived notions here weeks in advance
Fair, but obviously the networks are trending, and I don't like the direction. Give me Knaus. He was great in the Speed days. He knows his ****, and can communicate it to the various levels of fan awareness. Todd Gordon could be in that league as well. Harvick has potential when he is done. Big personalities don't always translate to talent in the booth.

Fair, but obviously the networks are trending, and I don't like the direction. Give me Knaus. He was great in the Speed days. He knows his ****, and can communicate it to the various levels of fan awareness. Todd Gordon could be in that league as well. Harvick has potential when he is done. Big personalities don't always translate to talent in the booth.
Knaus has one of the biggest personalities of them all, actually. In the shop he's known for screaming at employees, putting his hands on them, he enacted a stupid "no fascial hair" policy at HMS when he got off the pitbox and into the shop full-time. He is very high strung.

Networks run with an idea...Hey, a driver would be great in the booth....I don't agree. Gordon was horrible. Not everybody is a Junior. He is 100% fabulous. One of a kind. Literally. Quit trying to find the next Jr. Not possible.

Yeah but Tony was always a great interview and told it like it is. NBC needs to send Jeff Burton down to pit road or the infield

Knaus has one of the biggest personalities of them all, actually. In the shop he's known for screaming at employees, putting his hands on them, he enacted a stupid "no fascial hair" policy at HMS when he got off the pitbox and into the shop full-time. He is very high strung.
"Big personalities don't always translate in the booth." "...always.." is a key word here.....and while I have no idea where you are getting your information, he is something very different in the booth.....and in the parking lot of hotels where I have seen him several times....he has to be one of the most cordial NASCAR personalities I have ever had the chance to chat with.

"Big personalities don't always translate in the booth." "...always.." is a key word here.....and while I have no idea where you are getting your information, he is something very different in the booth.....and in the parking lot of hotels where I have seen him several times....he has to be one of the most cordial NASCAR personalities I have ever had the chance to chat with.
Getting my information from real people that work there. If you listen to Chad's Dale Jr Download episode they skirt it a bit, how over the top "type A" personality he can be.

Getting my information from real people that work there. If you listen to Chad's Dale Jr Download episode they skirt it a bit, how over the top "type A" personality he can be.
Wow. If they are talking, and he is what they say he is....they won't be there long. Mr. H. is good with it I guess....or does Chad report to Gordon now?

Wow. If they are talking, and he is what they say he is....they won't be there long. Mr. H. is good with it I guess....or does Chad report to Gordon now?
A lot of "winning cultures" in sports are driven by assholes, I mean it's no surprise, and as long as the performance is there then nobody will take note. Antonio Brown will probably still play in the NFL again next season, you know what I mean? And I'm not saying Chad is AB, just highlighting that teams let a lot of toxic behavior go as long as they're gaining a competitive edge.

Apparently drivers are exempt?

Screenshot_20220123-141036_Chrome.jpg

Yup, because Chase and Kyle are always in the ******’ shop working for Chad, right? You guys know Chase doesn’t even live in North Carolina...

Yup, because Chase and Kyle are always in the ******’ shop working for Chad, right? You guys know Chase doesn’t even live in North Carolina...
Yeah but they would have to show up at the shop sometime, and then Chad would spring out of the shadows scissors in hand.

A lot of "winning cultures" in sports are driven by assholes, I mean it's no surprise, and as long as the performance is there then nobody will take note. Antonio Brown will probably still play in the NFL again next season, you know what I mean? And I'm not saying Chad is AB, just highlighting that teams let a lot of toxic behavior go as long as they're gaining a competitive edge.
I agree. Thanks on the Dale Jr. Download suggestion....Absolutely freaking loved it! While driver stories make me cringe, stories about crew chiefs, engineers, etc. are so cool. Explains why I much prefer watching crews work on cars to driver meet and greets.....While I knew some of Chad's history, it occurred to me while listening that he is a product of many people he worked with/for. It takes a certain degree of humility to admit that....maybe. I am a big fan of his

I agree. Thanks on the Dale Jr. Download suggestion....Absolutely freaking loved it! While driver stories make me cringe, stories about crew chiefs, engineers, etc. are so cool. Explains why I much prefer watching crews work on cars to driver meet and greets.....While I knew some of Chad's history, it occurred to me while listening that he is a product of many people he worked with/for. It takes a certain degree of humility to admit that....maybe. I am a big fan of his
Glad you liked it but curious as to why drivers stories make you cringe?

Glad you liked it but curious as to why drivers stories make you cringe?
That's a good question.....I am not sure I have a good answer. I have always considered the men and women behind the scenes as my heroes in this sport so I probably resent to a degree all of the credit the drivers get. I was parked in the team lot in Phoenix a couple of years ago. At the end of the day, watching those guys and gals load into mini vans dusty, dirty, and tired as hell resonated with me. I want to know more about them. Their money and life is closer to mine. I identify with them I think. So, while it's great that many drivers "paid their dues," the life they live now is inconceivable to me. Maybe the short answer to your question that I am not a fan of drivers hogging all of the storylines.

he married late in life.

Tbh I think Knaus is a Hendrick lifer, upper management etc. until he retires completely.

I suppose Fox is going to do this until they get who they want to be the permanent person, which is Harvick.

Seems like Kurt did a lot of truck races last year as well. Chad should be entertaining

I think Smoke ought to do more races he's doing a good job in the clash today.

Back
Top Bottom