The Announcers Thread

I am not crazy about the way NBC presents a race as the announcer sounds like a game show host and the 2 commentators are like excitable teenagers. I figured that is why I have a remote, a volume and mute button plus the essential FF button so overall the problem isn't hard to escape.

They just had a graphic on that showed what it means to pit in front of the leader instead of showing us the action. It's like seriously a race fan wouldn't know that?!

Jeff Burton also explained the importance of upshifting to avoid blowing the engine.......really? They talk to the audience like we don't know how a car works.

I am not crazy about the way NBC presents a race as the announcer sounds like a game show host and the 2 commentators are like excitable teenagers. I figured that is why I have a remote, a volume and mute button plus the essential FF button so overall the problem isn't hard to escape.

Exactly. Allen's "enthusiasm" gets real old, real quick. Burton never shuts the hell up and I think he's rubbing off on Letarte because he's a blabbermouth now too.

I wish NBC would replace Allen with Ralph Sheheen, replace Burton with Dale Jr, and do whatever they want with the third guy as long as he isn't constantly talking over the other two. Put the focus back on the race and the action on the track.

Rick Allen is best part NBC. Will never understand the hate that man gets. He's got a voice made for broadcasting and brings some excitement to calling a race.

I enjoyed the ESPN crew (their 2nd go around was it?) of Bestwick, Dale Jarrett and Andy Petree. Wish they could find a way to get DJ in the booth, I don't think I care for Jeff Burton much. I think Jr and Letarte are going to be great together, I just want the focus on the race. Not the gizmos in the booth,the hipster in the infield or around the facility interacting with fans or the catchphrases of the play by play guy. Whoever figures out between Fox and NBC that the Race is the show and main storyline will significantly pull ahead in the better broadcast race.

Rick Allen is best part NBC. Will never understand the hate that man gets. He's got a voice made for broadcasting and brings some excitement to calling a race.

Bob Jenkins, Ken Squier, and Barney Hall had a voice made for broadcasting. Keith Jackson, Vin Scully, and Pat Summerall had a voice made for broadcasting.

Rick Allen has a voice for The $10,000 Pyramid, flea market radio ads, or bingo night at the local moose lodge.

Jeff Burton also explained the importance of upshifting to avoid blowing the engine.......really? They talk to the audience like we don't know how a car works.

One of the things the announcers have to do is explain things to new views, I often get annoyed with the explanations but I realize why they do it.

NBC SPORTS GROUP PARTNERS WITH MRN FOR NASCAR XFINITY SERIES RACE COVERAGE FROM WATKINS GLEN INTERNATIONAL

NBCSN Race Telecast to be Called From Multiple Vantage Points Surrounding Historic Road Course

MRN’s Mike Bagley Joins NBCSN Broadcast Team in Watkins Glen

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ace-coverage-from-watkins-glen-international/

Sirius has ruined me! I loved listening to the races while i was working in the race shop!
Now ever time I hear Bagley all I can think of is the fake canned laugh and stupid comments.
Then there's Moody. Ugh!!!!! I was sooooo much better off before I got the NASCAR channel and learned what DBags these guys are!

He's OK until he puts the this is really exciting thing to his voice on a restart, i.e., "green flag back in the air" or when calling the end of a race and the leader is way out in front with nobody around him.

NBC SPORTS GROUP PARTNERS WITH MRN FOR NASCAR XFINITY SERIES RACE COVERAGE FROM WATKINS GLEN INTERNATIONAL

NBCSN Race Telecast to be Called From Multiple Vantage Points Surrounding Historic Road Course

MRN’s Mike Bagley Joins NBCSN Broadcast Team in Watkins Glen

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ace-coverage-from-watkins-glen-international/

NBCSN's going for unconventional lately. I like it, even though that Pocono broadcast was a cluster#### to listen to.

As for who's announcing, smile, it can be worse. This guy could be back.

hqdefault (4).jpg

"Now you don't have to look it up because we already did."

NBCSN's going for unconventional lately. I like it, even though that Pocono broadcast was a cluster#### to listen to.
I don't see this race being any different because of they way they pit on a road race track. I am prepared for another headache. They were talking about a car being out front at Pocono, had it on their strategy board, what a great job getting out front, and the car I think it was the 41 had not pitted yet.

Last edited:
I don't see this race being any different because of they way they pit on a road race track. I am prepared for another headache. They were talking about a car being out front at Pocono, had it on their strategy board, what a great job getting out front, and the car I think it was the 41 had not pitted yet.

It's Watkins Glen, there's gonna be a little more action than at Pocono.

Last week with the two broadcast booths was rough though. But at least they had Dale Jarrett in the booth.

My problem with the broadcast is there's too much talking , in fact nonstop yapping.I want to hear the engines when looking at a race car coming towards us on the screen. The audio used to be better years ago with the cars winding up the rpm down the straightaway. They seem to think race fans are dumb and don't know what's their watching, explaining the obvious.

What does everybody think about the Xfinity race calling? Diffey in the yeoman's position was much better than Allen will ever be. Getting Burton and his twin Klingerman lesser roles out in left field was a huge improvement, I would have liked to see Bagley in the booth with Diffey and put Letarte out in a field. The new concept though was a hit IMO.

What does everybody think about the Xfinity race calling? Diffey in the yeoman's position was much better than Allen will ever be. Getting Burton and his twin Klingerman lesser roles out in left field was a huge improvement, I would have liked to see Bagley in the booth with Diffey and put Letarte out in a field. The new concept though was a hit IMO.
I may be overly optimistic, but I get the impression that NBC knows how bad their broadcasts are, and is searching for a way to get better (and leverage Dale Jr's presence next year). Two new looks in two weeks. One issue I have with the "radio-style" broadcast is by design, there is never a moment when nobody is talking. But before, there never was such a moment either, so it's not worse. Overall, I liked it on a road course, but not sure about an oval with 30 second lap times.

The Xfinity race was fine ......... thanks only to the track they were racing on.

I'm not a big fan of Diffey, he's to foreign for me and his voice has calming effect. I did like the coverage of today's race though and like that they will do it tomorrow.

Best announcing I have ever heard during a TV broadcast. Leigh Diffey is excellent and should replace Rick Allen forever.

I think one of the reasons we all have issue with the guys calling the races is that we, for the most part here on this forum, are up to speed on Nascar goings on and just get tired of hearing the obvious and known information over and over from these guys. The false excitement thing is very annoying as well.

It was not that long ago that it was hard to find out much of anything going on except for race day. Now we are bombarded with too much information all the time via (2) One hour daily programs, one on NBCSN and one on FS1 plus XM/SirriusNascar radio, plus all the different real time social media available at a moments notice.
When there was a bit of mystery about what was going on, we couldn't wait till race day to find out things. Now a crew member can pass gas at 10:01 am and it is common knowledge everywhere by 10:03 AM.

I had forgotten how Jeff Burton can talk on and on about nothing in particular and contradict himself in the same sentence.o_O

But, none of this is going to keep me from enjoying this racing series. As long as 36 to 40 bad ass hot rods show up each week, I'll be watching. :punkrocke :D
This!!

One of the things the announcers have to do is explain things to new views, I often get annoyed with the explanations but I realize why they do it.
call the race, dont explain it.
new fans can watch and learn during practice sessions.

I think a good both combo would be Bestwick, Letarte, Dale Jr with Jeff Burton in a different role while Rick Allen goes back to Trucks because Vince Welch just isn't that great of an announcer.

Sirius has ruined me! I loved listening to the races while i was working in the race shop!
Now ever time I hear Bagley all I can think of is the fake canned laugh and stupid comments.
Then there's Moody. Ugh!!!!! I was sooooo much better off before I got the NASCAR channel and learned what DBags these guys are!
I guess I fall on the side of " I liked Bagmans call for TV". As I mentioned in the race thread,
I thought he was a breath of fresh air. I love F1 , so I will always like a Diffy call.

The Xfinity race was fine ......... thanks only to the track they were racing on.
(not to go off topic) Sure there wasn't anything else you may have liked about the race?

(not to go off topic) Sure there wasn't anything else you may have liked about the race?

Yes ...... Harvick had problems and I got to watch Kyle pull off another amazing performance ..... not to mention getting to see Brad and Joey get it handed to them. And it was a road course ...... I really enjoy those

Back
Top Bottom