The Announcers Thread

You guys realize that these announcers especially at road coarses like that have to speak over the cars so they can be heard which gets interpreted as excitement due to the speaking loud. Of course I'm all for the excitement that an announcer brings and its one of the reasons I like Rick Allen so much.
1. The announcers are in a tempered glass box far above the track, the sound is not deafening for them to raise their voices.
2. Rick Allen brings artifical excitement to the broadcast. He gets flustered over every little thing.

1. The announcers are in a tempered glass box far above the track, the sound is not deafening for them to raise their voices.
2. Rick Allen brings artifical excitement to the broadcast. He gets flustered over every little thing.

Rick Allen would make a quarterback sneak sound like an Odell Beckham circus catch.

Most the announcers this week were spread out across the track were they had to speak above the cars. Artificial excitement is better than an Australian who's. voice could put you to sleep.

I lol'd at the idea of somebody with their finger on the mute button ready to click at the sound of an announcer every 60 seconds.

Was worth it. The incessant hyperbole is forced and stupid. Sometimes he stumbles trying to search for a cute way to describe mundane events. I vomit when these guys describe themselves as wordsmiths ala Ken Squier--who seems to be a nice guy, but I have never liked his call either. Now....Barney Hall.....that is the way it should be done. Barney wasn't wordsmith--he just described what he saw. Seemed like he respected the sport. Let it speak for itself.

Diffey is very professional, and does a good job in a technical sense. But come on folks, someone who is more comfortable with F1 doesn't need to be calling NASCAR. It is just a weird fit. Almost like if you would have flipped to a F1 race a few years back and had Buddy Baker and Ned Jarrett on air. Just doesn't fit.

Overall, I like FOX much better than NBC. Allen overhype's the simplest of things. Burton is well, Burton. And Letarte just seems in over his head. Personally, I would rather see Kyle Petty back in the booth. He is not afraid to criticize, and you never know what he may say next.

Kyle petty at Iowa a couple of weeks ago reminded me just how awful he is in the booth. People seemed to enjoy Kyle Wally and Weber in the booth but god they were awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most the announcers this week were spread out across the track were they had to speak above the cars. Artificial excitement is better than an Australian who's. voice could put you to sleep.

I respectfully disagree as I would rather hear people speak at normal volumes and normal inflections unless something remarkable is taking place. IMO a car momentarily losing adhesion doesn't warrant someone yelling "SIDEWAYS" when the car was nowhere near sideways. Also becoming apoplectic every time cars are 3 wide is just plain dumb, IMO.

MRN/PRN. I've got no problem with the excitement in their voices. I think the sport is exciting and they do a great job bringing it to us each week.

Television. That's a different story. These booth crews are limited to the view we are given to describe and that's not always that entertaining.

The non stop babble style was good in some instances, spreading it around to different voices was much more tolerable, and it looks like that might be the way of doing things in the future similar to the radio. For one who listened to most Nascar races for four years on satellite radio, Moody and Rick Allen have cloned each other. bleah. Giving all of them a limited time to speak shut off most of the really outlandish crap Jabba and Letard would come up with while Allen shouted over the top of both of them like a little kid that wasn't getting any attention. . Big improvement. IMO.

Jarrett and who over did a decent job in the Xfinity today. Jarrett's voice grates on me a little
but he is respectful and knows what he is talking about.

I think they sedated Jabba and LeTard for Michigan. Definately an improvement. I know my ears would have still been ringing if Allen would have been in the booth today.

Pretty sure I heard Jeff Burton said this when Logan hit pit road with his flat tire and damage yesterday

"Their gonna have to fix that damage to make sure the new tire don't get flat"

No **** jeff?

Pretty sure I heard Jeff Burton said this when Logan hit pit road with his flat tire and damage yesterday

"Their gonna have to fix that damage to make sure the new tire don't get flat"

No sh!t jeff?

He was talking about the camera that could go 100mph yesterday, he said "that camera can go 100 MPH and the cars are faster than that."

Last night was the first time since Indy that I listened to the race

Good lord

Jeff Burton and Steve Letarte are absolutely horrible. They need to know you dont have to shout every single word and then they make a big deal about the littlest thing

Damn

They talk to the audience like they are children. ****** ridiculous

Last night was the first time since Indy that I listened to the race

Good lord

Jeff Burton and Steve Letarte are absolutely horrible. They need to know you dont have to shout every single word and then they make a big deal about the littlest thing

Damn

They talk to the audience like they are children. ******* ridiculous

I was saying on another thread that I had to turn the sound down as Burton and Letarte just aggravated the daylights out of me and they have several times this year. I like to watch a race or sporting event with picture and sound so it takes away a lot when you have the sound off as you can see everything but sometimes need some explanation.

So I watched this race this morning... The producer didn't show the intervals behind the leaders for more than 10 laps the entire first 150. Absolutely infuriating. Sure is nice knowing how many laps down certain drivers are or how far behind the 5th place car your driver is. Smh.

As far as announcers... the novelty has worn off. Much respect for Ken and Ned, but all it was was basically two old dudes shooting the **** about NASCAR like a couple casual fans who have seen bits and pieces... because they probably have.

Also, it seemed like too much bull**** for Squire to focus on. "Truex.... Larson one and two.... at this beautiful Darlington Raceway", rinse and repeat with very little other info given for about a half hour.

....But then once that's over with, you get "reminded" by Jeff and Steve about how racing and tires and racetracks work. It's all bad lol.

I'm tired of Jebb burton making every track seem so damn difficult

I remember last year at Loudon he spent about 10 minutes talking about how tough loudon was

Big part of my problem with this bunch is that they continually continue to be wrong but none of them learn anything when they are. They went on all race long about how sacred tires were, pointing out how fast a car was with them compared to a car that wasn't, while both the winner 11 and the second place car 18 stayed out on old tires. Burton trying to act like an expert and lay his B.S. on us makes me puke. These guys are in the way and are more of a distraction than a help. None of them have a sense of humor. I haven't laughed since they switched over to NBCSN until Squire came on.

Just wait till Saturday when we get Jeff and Steve telling us over and over and over that "THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE FOR ONE OF THE OUTSIDERS TO GET THEMSELVES IN THE PLAYOFFS AND CAUSE HAVOC FOR THE BUBBLE DRIVERS!"

Just wait till Saturday when we get Jeff and Steve telling us over and over and over that "THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE FOR ONE OF THE OUTSIDERS TO GET THEMSELVES IN THE PLAYOFFS AND CAUSE HAVOC FOR THE BUBBLE DRIVERS!"

I plan on tuning in but I bet I can't make it for very long before the mute button gets pressed

I plan on tuning in but I bet I can't make it for very long before the mute button gets pressed

Jeff-
"REMEMBER THIS IS DALE JR'S LAST CHANCE TO GET IN THE PLAYOFFS. HE CAN'T GET IN ON POINTS. HE'S GOT TO WIN THIS RACE IF HE WANTS TO COMPETE FOR THE TITLE"

Steve-"YOUR RIGHT IT'S HIS LAST CHANCE BECAUSE HE IS RETIRING THIS YEAR, SO HE HAS GOT TO WIN!"

Rick-
"Around goes the (insert car number)!!!

So I watched this race this morning... The producer didn't show the intervals behind the leaders for more than 10 laps the entire first 150. Absolutely infuriating. Sure is nice knowing how many laps down certain drivers are or how far behind the 5th place car your driver is. Smh.

As far as announcers... the novelty has worn off. Much respect for Ken and Ned, but all it was was basically two old dudes shooting the sh!t about NASCAR like a couple casual fans who have seen bits and pieces... because they probably have.

Also, it seemed like too much bull**** for Squire to focus on. "Truex.... Larson one and two.... at this beautiful Darlington Raceway", rinse and repeat with very little other info given for about a half hour.

....But then once that's over with, you get "reminded" by Jeff and Steve about how racing and tires and racetracks work. It's all bad lol.
I wasn't sure if it was the norm or what, but when I went to the Atlanta race this past March, they had Squier doing the PA announcing at the track. Even for Qualifying. Does he still do races for MRN or PRN? I haven't heard him if so. Either way, it was pretty cool to be there and hear him.

Jeff-
"REMEMBER THIS IS DALE JR'S LAST CHANCE TO GET IN THE PLAYOFFS. HE CAN'T GET IN ON POINTS. HE'S GOT TO WIN THIS RACE IF HE WANTS TO COMPETE FOR THE TITLE"

Steve-"YOUR RIGHT IT'S HIS LAST CHANCE BECAUSE HE IS RETIRING THIS YEAR, SO HE HAS GOT TO WIN!"

Rick-
"Around goes the (insert car number)!!!

Your post puts in a nutshell why I don't like the NBC announcers and I feel they do a disservice to those tuning in from home.

"Ah — Playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs?You kidding me? Playoffs?"

43116d2331e6adf4a5a44f461d4ea7c3803df3884e479585d87e589e065ae949.jpg

i suspect this week about all they know will be who makes the playoffs, and could a non winner get in? blah blah blah..it's really that simple, but I am sure it will go on for the whole race. I hope Danica wins the damn thing and laps the field at this point driving Richard's old Plymouth. I don't think I can take anymore of NBCSN's bunch. I believe there is no way it won't become a no man can out yap us marathon all thru out the playoffs. As much as I can't handle Moody, I'm going to try MRN if I can get it from the web. At least they focus on the race and don't philosophize.

Rick Allen is the worst thing to happen to NASCAR broadcasting. He makes the sport look fake. The races he didn't call were better. Replace him with that British dude.

I knew DW was laying off the hair coloring.

2017-September-Darlington-4.jpg

For the record, I always appreciate an older man leaving his hair color natural, especially if he still has mostly a full head of hair.

My favorite Ken Squire Darlington moment was when he said someone has passed "The Mexican"! :lol2:

My favorite Ken Squire Darlington moment was when he said someone has passed "The Mexican"! :lol2:
yeah camera caught Suarez smoking up on the fence, Squire shouts out "The Mexican, Danial Suarez into the wall". Personally I think that is important to say, there are a lot of fans in Mexico and the U.S. that follow the series because he is in the race. But the timing might be a little off? Like say that when he isn't on fire? :D

Yep, I called him the Mexican the other day in the Subway and it got changed to the Suarez for some reason. When Squire said it i laughed.

yeah camera caught Suarez smoking up on the fence, Squire shouts out "The Mexican, Danial Suarez into the wall". Personally I think that is important to say, there are a lot of fans in Mexico and the U.S. that follow the series because he is in the race. But the timing might be a little off? Like say that when he isn't on fire? :D

It was just, the way, he said it that cracked me up.:D

It was just, the way, he said it that cracked me up.:D
I know what you mean quote of the year for sure, Jones boy isn't far behind. I bet Eric is catching hell from the rest of the drivers and the Nascar family about now. Suarez too. great stuff. Gordon and D.W. were cracking me up the first part of the season sometimes, but nothing like Squire.

Rick Allen is the worst thing to happen to NASCAR broadcasting. He makes the sport look fake. The races he didn't call were better. Replace him with that British dude.
It's an Australian dude. And Leigh Diffey does F1 and Indy and occasionally some other sports, so he cannot be in two places at once.

Back
Top Bottom