The Announcers Thread

Seemed like DW was using his old-man wisdom by speaking of the HMS team and drivers during the broadcast knowing JG had to sit there and take it. I couldn't tell if he was baiting Jeff to chime in on HMS Company Business or knowing Jeff couldn't follow him down that path without revealing his inside knowledge and/or bias.

Well played, DW!

No Hollywood Hotel? No Chris Meyers? I guess RaceHub and their $1 million studio is now the pre-race show?

Pretty funny light hearted crew at Atlanta. Cracked my up a few times. Larson doing a drive by way pretty funny, And some technical was interesting about the same, Larson's crew had him trimmed out for front row speed and he couldn't do nothing back in the rear, but cars like Logano and Kez who qualified slower were able to move from the back to the front at will. Casuals need stuff like that pointed out. I needed stuff like that pointed out:D

Michael Waltrip's embarrassing, cringe-worthy moments are a dime a dozen, but he keeps trying to outdo himself with greater and greater amounts of breathless fawning, ridiculous exaggeration, and outright fabrication. Here is yet another example...

Larry Mac was using his animated wind tunnel to illustrate side drafting. Michael chimes in with, "Nascar teams throughout the garage area have been learning about this from Fox's new virtual studio technology, and they are putting it to use on the track." LMAO, what an idiot.

Yeah well there always seems to be a village idiot in the bunch. I wasn't talking about Mikey in my post. :D I was talking about the Sunday bunch Joy, D.W. and Gordon. Gordon's Jaws theme when they showed Harvick coming after the front pack was pretty funny I thought. I don't think Jimmie needs to turn in his driver's card after his announcing the Xfinity race. Kinda what I expected from Johnson, he doesn't talk much and is soft spoken but he did ok. So far Kurt and Harvick have been pretty good.

Yeah, SOI, agree with ya on that. I thought the Sunday broadcast was first rate. And Harvick/Johnson did well, even alongside the always-annoying (IMO) Adam Alexander.

Yeah, SOI, agree with ya on that. I thought the Sunday broadcast was first rate. And Harvick/Johnson did well, even alongside the always-annoying (IMO) Adam Alexander.

Agree the team did a very good job. Gordon has great insights and driver perspective. DW is a little long in the tooth but still has some good quips. Mike Joy is best lead, knowing when to give some space and just let the race and it’s sounds play.

I feel more connected to the race with MJ, DW, and Little G -- than I do with the yapping overload of the nbcsn crew.
Just because they are better than doesn't mean Fox can't be better.
Best race coverage in a long time was this weeks Xfinity race with KH and JJ.
I would like to see Harvick and Junior do a Cup race.

Adam Alexander is competent. He's not the best announcer but he's serviceable and gets the job done.

I announce at my local track and trust me, y'all don't know how hard it is. It's mentally exhausting.

Shannon Spake stepping up her game in that Cat-Woman outfit. :)

I still miss Danielle Trotta on Race Hub...

So, why is there a basketball game on FS1 instead of NASCAR Raceday?

I guess something must have been written awhile back about some of the changes with Fox.

Pluses - no more Hollywood Hotel, no Mikey during long breaks, DW and Jeff can save their points for the race instead of wasting them in a pre-race show.

Minuses - still do the stupid grid walk with Mikey, Larry Mac in a Charlotte studio, interviewing the winning driver on track and then letting guys in the booth interview that driver in victory lane. Dumb.

TV has ruined the victory lane celebration with these on-track interviews with the winners.

I thought the camera work was pretty darn good at Vegas. The side be side racing probably helped a bunch, some passes went on for more than a lap so they could focus in on the action.

I know folks are not the biggest fans of Darrell, but I do appreciate all of the work he has put in for FOX. He's been a memorable voice through the years and maybe he knows its time for him to step aside for another broadcaster.

IMHO it will take time for me to adjust without him, if he decides to retire.

I know folks are not the biggest fans of Darrell, but I do appreciate all of the work he has put in for FOX. He's been a memorable voice through the years and maybe he knows its time for him to step aside for another broadcaster.

IMHO it will take time for me to adjust without him, if he decides to retire.
Agreed 100%

This sucks because I would still take DW over literally everyone in the NBC booth and he’ll probably be replaced by his goofyass brother in the interim at least (I won’t count on FOX to put McMurray or Craven up there) or Harvick retires to move into his new career.

giphy.gif

I don't dislike DW, him and Jeff don't really have the best chemistry. I think that group was better with Larry in the booth, tbh. I think Jeff would do better with someone more his age in the booth.

DW is, for better and worse, irreplaceable. Fox would need to go in a different direction with their booth. Another factor is that there have been a lot of rumblings about how long Gordon wants to do it, with a more active role at HMS awaiting him.

If Gordon had arrived post-DW, maybe he would feel like the star of the show, as Dale Jr. does on NBC. As it happened, he was sliding into an established team and has been quite laid back out of respect for Waltrip and Joy.

It will be interesting to see if this turns into Fox blowing up the booth and starting over, or whether they try to manage gradual transitions. In five years, it's probably a safe bet that none of the current team will be there.

While Fox already employs a lot of on-air talent, I'm not sure any of them have the star power to step in. If this had happened two years ago, I would be surprised if Fox didn't make a strong run at Carl Edwards. Now, he's so far off the radar, who knows. I'll tell you who would be fun and solid, but it won't happen because he's too polarizing: Kurt.

Allen Bestwick needs to get hired on, I'd like to see Wally back and Kurt would be great...

Also, someone who I think who can be a sleeper pick, if he's interested...

Mark Martin. A guy who many of fans can get behind and I think he has a great perspective of history like DW.

I always liked DW when he first came into the booth and for many years afterwards. After the past few years however, it has become clear that it's the right time for him to move on. It's a different NASCAR today than in the years of his prime.

I still remember when he retired from racing (I think the 2000 NAPA 500 in Atlanta was his last race) and a number of the drivers had a get together for him as a retirement send-off (I believe it was right after his last race but I could be wrong) and each one presented him with a retirement gift.

I don't remember what most of the other drivers gave him but Dale Sr. presented him with a really nice rocking chair!! I heard someone say recently that he's become sort of the "John Madden" of NASCAR and I agree with that assessment. Love him or hate him, DW is a true NASCAR legend and his name clearly belongs on the list of NASCAR's most colorful characters ever.

Now......if we could just get Jeff Burton to retire from NBC.

The need to stop DW from spouting his boogity, boogity, boogity thing.

DW retires, Jeff Gordon goes back to full time management, Dale Junior takes over the lead at
Fox and Kyle Petty is the background noise.

Back
Top Bottom