The Announcers Thread

Jeff Burton for Kyle Petty or Dale Jarrett trade would be better if they swapped roles. No hurt feelings, nobody out of a job.

It finally caught my eye after wading through the whining on the race thread. Why have it if people are going to make 35% of the posts on the "race" thread about the coverage?
Your new here? They talk about all kinds of off topic B.S. during the race. At least they are in the ball park talking about the announcing.

It finally caught my eye after wading through the whining on the race thread. Why have it if people are going to make 35% of the posts on the "race" thread about the coverage?
As you whine about having a thread for whining while people whine elsewhere.

Your new here? They talk about all kinds of off topic B.S. during the race. At least they are in the ball park talking about the announcing.
True, but the off topic whining about the announcers is the bulk of it AND there is a thread dedicated to it. Be nice if people would just go there to cry.

True, but the off topic whining about the announcers is the bulk of it AND there is a thread dedicated to it. Be nice if people would just go there to cry.

Not going to happen, it's the busy time of the year waay too much to whine about. You are going to have one or two that will insist of keeping us up to date on whatever stick n ball whatever is happening. Add to that another one or two will keep us informed on how any race future or present is running. Then we have the weekly stage break whiners, some will bleed over to the chase...cut off, points matter, HUUUGE playoff implications, and those dad gum gerbils are going to be singing at the top of their little furry lungs, telling us all how each driver should be doing it their way...bottom line it isn't going to happen lol.

Not going to happen, it's the busy time of the year waay too much to whine about. You are going to have one or two that will insist of keeping us up to date on whatever stick n ball whatever is happening. Add to that another one or two will keep us informed on how any race future or present is running. Then we have the weekly stage break whiners, some will bleed over to the chase...cut off, points matter, HUUUGE playoff implications, and those dad gum gerbils are going to be singing at the top of their little furry lungs, telling us all how each driver should be doing it their way...bottom line it isn't going to happen lol.
Yeah, you're right. Don't know what I was thinking....lots to whine about and no way to categorize it all into their different threads. Whiners gonna whine.......Carry on. 🤣

Yeah, you're right. Don't know what I was thinking....lots to whine about and no way to categorize it all into their different threads. Whiners gonna whine.......Carry on. 🤣
I've been here so long I can tell who is going to say what on the racing thread before they say it lol.

I've been here so long I can tell who is going to say what on the racing thread before they say it lol.
That’s sad. Not that you’ve been here so long but that we are becoming predictable about what we comment/complain about.

I like to watch "Short Track America" on MavTV from time to time, and was watching "The Rattler" at South Alabama Speedway and couldn't help but notice how great of a job one of their broadcast booth guys was doing over the course of the race. He sounded like a pro and really knew his stuff. Great voice too, reminds me of Ken Squier.

It turns out, his name is Bill Roth. The internet doesn't have much info about the guy (mostly brings up a Virginia Tech commentator of the same name) but found a video of him interviewing guys after a race....

I'm watching that race again, and I've heard enough, I'm completely sold on the guy. Put me in charge of the NASCAR broadcast at NBC and I'll fix all of their problems in a day. It's simple:

Fire Rick Allen and replace him with this Bill Roth guy. Demote Steve Letarte to pit road coverage and pray that he's capable of being a poor man's Larry Mac. Move Dale Jarrett into the booth alongside Dale Jr.

Where does that leave Jeff Burton? Fire him, of course, then re-hire him and immediately fire him again, just for good measure.

In all seriousness, Jeff Burton is fine outside of the booth. He would be OK in a studio analyst role, so just swap him with DJ and let Burton hang out with Kyle Petty.

I don’t think Jeff Burton is stupid or uninformed for an infield role, but he talks too much in the booth and Kyle OR Dale Jarrett from the ESPN/TNT days were a lot better.

In all seriousness, Jeff Burton is fine outside of the booth. He would be OK in a studio analyst role, so just swap him with DJ and let Burton hang out with Kyle Petty.
Burton started in the studio. Based on his performance there, I was glad to hear he was moving to the booth. That didn't last long.

Rick Allen annoyed me more than usual yesterday. I hate to rag on people just doing their jobs as I sit at home on race day. He’s terrible though, probably the worst announcer ever in the sport’s history and on the top 5 of my worst ever in the entire sporting world. He’s such a boob trying to manufacture drama….trying to sell me about being worried about fuel in the closing stages of the race while tire after tire after tire pops all race long was laughable at best and ignorant to the events going on in front of you at worst.

I can’t understand why he was talking to current drivers about their safety concerns. For one, there’s maybe a handful of drivers left that raced with him? Why would the current crop have any interest in what he as to say which leads me to my next point...he hasn’t raced this car in a race this year, so what advice could he give about it anyway. Just seems like an odd decision is all. A current veteran driver isn’t head of the Driver Advisory Council....I find that hard to believe.

Burton is the Director of the Driver’s Advisory Council.
A current driver isn’t the director of the council? I’m going to research more of this, I thought a veteran like Harvick or Hamlin would be elected leader.

Research.

That's a good article, and re-forming a drivers group is a good and important thing IMO. Jeff Burton is probably a good choice to head it up. {Hint to NBC... do us all a favor and free up Burton to spend *full time* working on the drivers' council, hint, hint.}

Speaking of driver advisory work, it was hilarious yesterday how Burton went on, and on, and on some more advising Ricky Stenhouse how he should lift and hit the brakes whenever young Harrison Burton throws a too-late block at Talladega... SMH.

The original 2015 version of the Driver Council was a big step forward in giving the drivers a unified voice to influence important Nascar decisions during the Brian France era. Hamlin was a key guy in forming the group, and also Carl Edwards if I remember correctly. This group countered BZF's wet dream of creating pack racing at every intermediate track. The Driver Council pushed for less downforce, with Edwards being the main man in this area. They also pushed for changes in the playoff format to reward regular season accomplishments, i.e. playoff points. And they twisted BZF's arm to halt the practice of fake debris cautions, and came up with the concept of stage racing instead. Whether you love stage racing or hate it, most agree it's better and more fair than the prior practice of two or three debris cautions every week at random times.

After Brian France imploded his career, Jim France soon announced that the Drivers Council had been replaced by an open door policy that encouraged drivers to communicate directly with Nascar, one-on-one. At the time, my thought was that Jim France wanted to weaken the drivers voice by fragmenting it and avoiding a unified driver opinion. I'm glad to see a new drivers group in place.

Jeff Burton is a good guy and good person for that drivers council, drivers do respect him, but he needs to stay in his lane here.

That makes two of us. Junior starts his high pitched, excited voice and all I want to do is turn off the volume.
I was surprised that the MRN guys had turned down the screaming. It was enjoyable to get a break from the hysterical gerbiling.

Allen Bestwick is doing Professional Bull Riders commentary for CBS...

He used to say stuff like, "Stand on it, Chase Elliott."

But now it's more like, "Don't step in it, Cody Lambert."

I'd love to see Bestwick doing NASCAR again. Rick Allen could handle the bulls***, if ya know what I mean.

I'd love to see Bestwick doing NASCAR again. Rick Allen could handle the bulls***, if ya know what I mean.

Doesn't he do the SRX series?

Alan is doing fine. His East Greenwich home is paid for.

ZomboMeme 22112022184041.jpg

New PxP guy (or gal) coming to Trucks. Vince was much better as a pit reporter than as a lead announcer.

Back
Top Bottom