The Announcers Thread

Yesterday's race was the worst broadcast of a NASCAR race I have ever seen. Absolutely horrible in every aspect.

Mike Joy Kevin Harvick can't save a broadcast when it's 100% narrative-driven. As much as people complain about NBC and "storylines," I've never seen a broadcast force feed one the way Fox pushed the Hendrick Motorsports anniversary. Right down to them making on air proclamations that Hendrick Motorsports would win the race. They literally created an appearance yesterday that NASCAR is rigged.

Every time there was an on track battle which they'd start to show, Fox would pan away from it to spend several laps talking about Hendrick Motorsports, or to Hendrick Motorsports employees. The entire broadcast was an infomercial for a single four-car race team.

You compound all this with the many other problems with Fox Sports, and you get what we got yesterday.

Another weekend of NASCAR on Fox and another weekend where, after all three races, the topic of conversation on social media is how terrible the broadcast is.

Yesterday's race was the worst broadcast of a NASCAR race I have ever seen. Absolutely horrible in every aspect.

Mike Joy Kevin Harvick can't save a broadcast when it's 100% narrative-driven. As much as people complain about NBC and "storylines," I've never seen a broadcast force feed one the way Fox pushed the Hendrick Motorsports anniversary. Right down to them making on air proclamations that Hendrick Motorsports would win the race. They literally created an appearance yesterday that NASCAR is rigged.

Every time there was an on track battle which they'd start to show, Fox would pan away from it to spend several laps talking about Hendrick Motorsports, or to Hendrick Motorsports employees. The entire broadcast was an infomercial for a single four-car race team.

You compound all this with the many other problems with Fox Sports, and you get what we got yesterday.

Another weekend of NASCAR on Fox and another weekend where, after all three races, the topic of conversation on social media is how terrible the broadcast is.
Sniffle sniffle.

I encourage you to look at this thread. Coverage of NASCAR has never been this bad.

This sequence of tweets really sums up how bad it is.

To be fair to Artie Kempner, who was responsible for some of the greatest broadcasts in all of sports (Fox's early coverage of NASCAR was revolutionary), the "Fox Sports formula" probably goes above him.

"I wish this was on any other network except Fox" is a common complaint among sports fans, not just NASCAR fans.

I've notice a few times on DJD Jr has mentioned that he won't be doing any broadcasting this year, but doesn't elaborate any further. Another worst kept secret

NBC never has treated the Xfinity races right. They usually re tread the cup gerbils. Fox uses Cup drivers in the booth many times and I look forward to it I hope CW continues with that practice.
I always thought NBC gave the Xifinity series more justice than Fox does. Fox has the current drivers in the booth and seem to focus more on the Cup drivers in the race. NBC will talk about Ryan Ellis, Jeremy Clements, and others that don't drive for the big teams.

Fox does a half-ass production on all levels. They ditched Vince Welch for Jamie Little for the truck races (fail). The Xfinity races are not fluid at all with the Cup drivers having their discussions that might not have anything to do with what's happening on the track. The Cup races are all over the place, don't give timely updates on drivers that had issues (took them 30 laps or so to say Bell lost the wheel nut after Bowyer said he broke a tie rod), and half-ass pit reporting.

I always thought NBC gave the Xifinity series more justice than Fox does. Fox has the current drivers in the booth and seem to focus more on the Cup drivers in the race. NBC will talk about Ryan Ellis, Jeremy Clements, and others that don't drive for the big teams.
Fox does a half-ass production on all levels. They ditched Vince Welch for Jamie Little for the truck races (fail). The Xfinity races are not fluid at all with the Cup drivers having their discussions that might not have anything to do with what's happening on the track. The Cup races are all over the place, don't give timely updates on drivers that had issues (took them 30 laps or so to say Bell lost the wheel nut after Bowyer said he broke a tie rod), and half-ass pit reporting.
I hope they are paying you well lol. Especially after they won't be covering the Xfinity anymore.

I've notice a few times on DJD Jr has mentioned that he won't be doing any broadcasting this year, but doesn't elaborate any further. Another worst kept secret
Already signed with Prime and WBD for next year. NBC contract ended at the end of last year.

If everything else is the the same about the broadcast, The CW either offered a healthy sublicense fee to help fans with the transition to next season or NBC simply created more flexibility for other broadcasting commitments. Their Big Ten football contract enters its first “full” year this fall, and there are probably a few weeks they’ll have a doubleheader.

If everything else is the the same about the broadcast, The CW either offered a healthy sublicense fee to help fans with the transition to next season or NBC simply created more flexibility for other broadcasting commitments. Their Big Ten football contract enters its first “full” year this fall, and there are probably a few weeks they’ll have a doubleheader.
I think NBC had a fire sale myself. There isn't any incentive to pay top dollar for something they were going to take over the next year anyway.

Losing Dale Jr, replacing Rick Allen with Leigh Diffey, and now moving their Xfinity races to CW.

All bizarre moves.

Granted, Leigh Diffey is an upgrade, and CW is better than USA for fans.

Something must be wrong with me. Ive watched 99% of Cup races since the mid 80s. That was about the time we could watch racing every weekend. The coverage has never been a big deal either way. I sure dont get upset and complain about it.
I remember my 1st race was at Dover in the Air Condition Grandstand. They had TVs (old big heavy ones) mounted to the wall . When the broadcast would go to commercial, I remember my wife saying, wow they keep on racing during commercials.

Could be the ol' commercial fest 500 coming up lol.
It's April and here I sit again in awe of The Masters and the coverage. Among other things, the commercials are only two minutes out of 20. The Super Bowl is the undisputed 800--lb gorilla of US TV but when Augusta National says 'Jump.', ESPN and CBS make like frogs on pogo sticks.

I'm also always amazed at how the cameramen can stay on a golf ball, especially when one is hit astray and bounces around in the treetops.

I like Jamie Little.
I'm glad they gave her a chance in the booth.
When she start's yelling it reminds me of my first wife and I get a twitch and start grinding my teeth.
That is all.

I like Jamie Little.
I'm glad they gave her a chance in the booth.
When she start's yelling it reminds me of my first wife and I get a twitch and start grinding my teeth.
That is all.
Yeah me too. In her second year she has come out guns blazing.

FOX struggles with keeping up with the effective lead battle during green flag pit cycles. I think that’s at least three different times now they’ve missed the effective lead change after pit stops in the final stage now so far.

Rajah Caruth/Taylor Gray at Las Vegas
Larson/MTJ at Richmond
Reddick/Hamlin at Texas

Yeah, but that was after the race. Did they do anything in the middle of the race?

One of the most annoying things Fox does, actually. They interview someone during green flag racing, and put the interview in a big box and the race in a small box. All while only having two pit reporters and requiring fans to follow Matt Weaver, Jordan Bianchi, Bob Pockrass and Jeff Gluck on Twitter to get technical and strategic updates.

Someone could be out of the race for an hour and Fox not even notice it. But check out that flashy, high tech, augmented reality studio they have for pre-race. 🔥

Whoever is calling the shots at Fox Sports needs to sit down in front of a smart TV with a notepad and watch a bunch of old NASCAR on Fox telecasts from 2001-2007 on YouTube.

Far too often, this season alone, the story on X (Twitter) after a race is how Fox dropped the ball.

And for the love of god, ZOOM OUT!

If I have to watch another side-by-side battle from someone's in car camera, I might actually pull my hair out of my head.

Back
Top Bottom