The Annual "Griping" About Start Times Thread

Speedbowl14

Ryan Preece and short tracks
Have at it guys and gals...

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2018...nergy-nascar-cup-series-race-start-s-released

2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Schedule
DATE RACE NETWORK RACE START (ET) RADIO
Sun, Feb 10, 2019 Daytona 500 Qualifying FOX 12:00 PM MRN
Sun, Feb 10, 2019 The Clash FS1 3:00 PM MRN
Thu, Feb 14, 2019 Duel at Daytona FS1 7:00 PM MRN
Sun, Feb 17, 2019 Daytona 500 FOX 2:30 PM MRN
Sun, Feb 24, 2019 Atlanta FOX 2:00 PM PRN
Sun, Mar 03, 2019 Las Vegas FOX 3:30 PM PRN
Sun, Mar 10, 2019 ISM Raceway FOX 3:30 PM MRN
Sun, Mar 17, 2019 Auto Club Speedway FOX 3:30 PM MRN
Sun, Mar 24, 2019 Martinsville FS1 2:00 PM MRN
Sun, Mar 31, 2019 Texas FOX 3:00 PM PRN
Sun, Apr 07, 2019 Bristol FS1 2:00 PM PRN
Sat, Apr 13, 2019 Richmond FOX 7:30 PM MRN
Sun, Apr 28, 2019 Talladega FOX 2:00 PM MRN
Sun, May 05, 2019 Dover FS1 2:00 PM MRN
Sat, May 11, 2019 Kansas FS1 7:30 PM MRN
Sat, May 18, 2019 All-Star Open FS1 6:00 PM MRN
Sat, May 18, 2019 All-Star Race FS1 8:00 PM MRN
Sun, May 26, 2019 Charlotte FOX 6:00 PM PRN
Sun, Jun 02, 2019 Pocono FS1 2:00 PM MRN
Sun, Jun 09, 2019 Michigan FS1 2:00 PM MRN
Sun, Jun 23, 2019 Sonoma FS1 3:00 PM PRN
Sun, Jun 30, 2019 Chicagoland NBCSN 3:00 PM MRN
Sat, Jul 06, 2019 Daytona NBC 7:30 PM MRN
Sat, Jul 13, 2019 Kentucky NBCSN 7:30 PM PRN
Sun, Jul 21, 2019 New Hampshire NBCSN 3:00 PM PRN
Sun, Jul 28, 2019 Pocono NBCSN 3:00 PM MRN
Sun, Aug 04, 2019 Watkins Glen NBCSN 3:00 PM MRN
Sun, Aug 11, 2019 Michigan NBCSN 3:00 PM MRN
Sat, Aug 17, 2019 Bristol NBCSN 7:30 PM PRN
Sun, Sep 01, 2019 Darlington NBCSN 6:00 PM MRN
Sun, Sep 08, 2019 Indianapolis NBC 2:00 PM IMS
Sun, Sep 15, 2019 Las Vegas NBCSN 7:00 PM PRN
Sat, Sep 21, 2019 Richmond NBCSN 7:30 PM MRN
Sun, Sep 29, 2019 Charlotte NBC 2:30 PM PRN
Sun, Oct 06, 2019 Dover NBCSN 2:30 PM MRN
Sun, Oct 13, 2019 Talladega NBC 2:00 PM MRN
Sun, Oct 20, 2019 Kansas NBC 2:30 PM MRN
Sun, Oct 27, 2019 Martinsville NBCSN 3:00 PM MRN
Sun, Nov 03, 2019 Texas NBCSN 3:00 PM PRN
Sun, Nov 10, 2019 ISM Raceway NBC 2:30 PM MRN
Sun, Nov 17, 2019 Homestead-Miami NBC 3:00 PM MRN

Love the thread title! I DVR the races I want to see so it doesn’t matter to me if they start at noon or midnight.

Mystery mod didn't like the title..:D:D:D

Only issue is I have is Loudon, Watkins Glen, and Pocono all starting at 3pm with sunset around 8pm that time of year. No budgeting for a rain delay.

1:00 Eastern for races east of and including Texas and Kansas, 4:00 Eastern for every thing west of there. Actually, I could live with any pair of times if someone would just pick two times and stick with them.

Oh, and start the cars rolling off pit road when the broadcast starts. Drop the green flag within 5 minutes. This dropping the green 15, 20, even 25 minutes after the broadcast starts is a great way to lose audience. Whatever's going on should be take care of during the pre-race broadcast.

@Speedbowl14 , another good off-season time-killer.

We have discussed this a number of times and in my opinion the late start times on the east coast mostly affects those attending the race. Starting a race in Michigan at 3:00 pm is certainly not going to increase the number of fans attending the race. For those with some distance to cover to get home many people will want to get a hotel for Sunday night and/or miss work on Monday. If the race started at 1:00 or noon, they have a fighting chance to get home Sunday night and can get to work Monday.
I see Loudon starts at 3:00. Two years ago I was a couple of hours from the track and had no problem driving over for the race. But I think the race started at 1:00 that year. Given the 3:00 start time, I would pass on attending.

The start times are completely nonsensical, and even if I were on the west coast, I would want the races to start early so I would still have the rest of my day to do something else. AND, even if you are going to DVR it, it's STILL better to have it start early, to give you a bigger window to watch it in.

1:00 Eastern for races east of and including Texas and Kansas, 4:00 Eastern for every thing west of there. Actually, I could live with any pair of times if someone would just pick two times and stick with them.

Oh, and start the cars rolling off pit road when the broadcast starts. Drop the green flag within 5 minutes. This dropping the green 15, 20, even 25 minutes after the broadcast starts is a great way to lose audience. Whatever's going on should be take care of during the pre-race broadcast.

@Speedbowl14 , another good off-season time-killer.
I rarely watch the pre-race show. I actually don't mind dropping the green 20 minutes after the broadcast begins because I always enjoy the invocation and the National Anthem and any other "important" matters that I had missed from not watching the 2 hour pre-race. Plus it gives me time to get my beer and popcorn ready.

If I attend a race I plan an extra day or two for weather.

I live in Florida, if I am attending a race in Martinsville, Bristol, Atlanta etc. I agree with you and always plan an extra day or two for weather. But if I am driving down to Homestead or up to Daytona, the start time is a factor in my decision making. I wonder what percentage of fans are from the local area vs traveling a bit of a distance? I don't have a clue on that one.

I live in Florida, if I am attending a race in Martinsville, Bristol, Atlanta etc. I agree with you and always plan an extra day or two for weather. But if I am driving down to Homestead or up to Daytona, the start time is a factor in my decision making. I wonder what percentage of fans are from the local area vs traveling a bit of a distance? I don't have a clue on that one.

Wish I wrote it down in my notes but for home games about 70-82% travel less than 60 miles. I think the number was 76% but not sure. NASCAR was less than 25% maybe 19%.

AND, even if you are going to DVR it, it's STILL better to have it start early, to give you a bigger window to watch it in.

99% of the time I watch the Friday truck race early Saturday morning, at around 5:00 to 6 AM with my coffee and really enjoy it, Same for the Exfinity race 99% of the time watch it Sunday morning at the same time and really enjoy it. The Cup Race we watch during and after Supper time on Sunday, eezee peezee.
Racing does not interfere with my daily activities at all. I watch when convenient for me, not NASCAR.

I live 158 miles from the Daytona Track, I still plan an extra day for any race there. I am the same distance from the Homestead Track, but, I will never attend another race there. But, to each his own. :D

I'm still mad at them for killing the ARCA/Clash Saturday double header that I had been going to since I was a kid. What needs more exposure, 500 Pole Day, or the ARCA series?

There are always one or two that have a problem with the start times of the race. This might clear it up a bit

Just know that it is being operated by a bunch of amateurs until Nascar starts assigning a specific second to start a race. Example todays race start's at 2:17:31 pm.

NASA was working lift offs to the second back when Fireball Robert's was still driving. Nascar needs to get with the program and stop letting such unprofessionalism embarrass me in front of my friends.

Such half acid lazyness is what has got us to not even knowing the race is in Fort Worth. That's the sorry acid **** that is ruining my Nascar life. People need to get mad as Hell about it, and make Nascar pay.

Just know that it is being operated by a bunch of amateurs until Nascar starts assigning a specific second to start a race. Example todays race start's at 2:17:31 pm.

NASA was working lift offs to the second back when Fireball Robert's was still driving. Nascar needs to get with the program and stop letting such unprofessionalism embarrass me in front of my friends.

Such half acid lazyness is what has got us to not even knowing the race is in Fort Worth. That's the sorry acid sh!t that is ruining my Nascar life. People need to get mad as Hell about it, and make Nascar pay.

NASA doesn't have the it's my first time in the spotlight and I am going to take all day singing the anthem variable, much simpler getting a rocket off the pad on time with thousands of parts than to get even a second of relief from a determined honker on stage.

I really can't be bothered to get upset about the start times, the later starting times on the east side is better for me on the west side as I am able to sleep in a bit longer.

Most complaints I've heard about start times over the years is that (general consensus) avid fans want early start times so they can have the rest of their day freed up to do other things after the race.

I understand their reasoning, but I've always preferred late start times (specifically night races) because that allows me to do stuff all day. By the time the race starts I'm exhausted and all I want to do is relax with a few beers while watching a race and not having to worry about doing anything afterwards.

I will say that start times in the middle of the afternoon suck because I can't get much accomplished before AND after the race. Ideally, I'd prefer all tracks with lights to be night races and all tracks without lights to start at noon (eastern).

Most complaints I've heard about start times over the years is that (general consensus) avid fans want early start times so they can have the rest of their day freed up to do other things after the race.

I understand their reasoning, but I've always preferred late start times (specifically night races) because that allows me to do stuff all day. By the time the race starts I'm exhausted and all I want to do is relax with a few beers while watching a race and not having to worry about doing anything afterwards.

I will say that start times in the middle of the afternoon suck because I can't get much accomplished before AND after the race. Ideally, I'd prefer all tracks with lights to be night races and all tracks without lights to start at noon (eastern).

A DVR takes the pain away. :booya: :D

NASA doesn't have the it's my first time in the spotlight and I am going to take all day singing the anthem variable, much simpler getting a rocket off the pad on time with thousands of parts than to get even a second of relief from a determined honker on stage.
Another reason to move the caterwauling to the pre-race show. If the girl with a guitar and an uncle in the bidness runs over, take the time out of the grid walk or Rutledge's infield barbeque.

I don't care if the times are early or late, I just want consistency.

Another reason to move the caterwauling to the pre-race show. If the girl with a guitar and an uncle in the bidness runs over, take the time out of the grid walk or Rutledge's infield barbeque.

I found ya the answer, but this is a good thread for the annual "griping" with a B thread :cool:

Start times typically are listed as a minute before the invocation.

I agree that consistency, what ever the start times would help a bunch. Another reason I favor earlier starts is trying to catch people before they find something else to do or to watch. If I were going up against the NFL, my goal would always to throw that green BEFORE the games kick off.

Just remember that later start times are essential because Doofus Dewar said most Nascar fans live in California
But, but, but what about all the fans across the pond in the UK, and those in Germany? Why can't we have some races that start at 4:00 AM and some at 4:00 PM. Excluding our European fans is getting close to discriminating and a possible lawsuit. I would not be surprised to find just as many fans live in Europe as California. :sarcasm:

I agree that consistency, what ever the start times would help a bunch. Another reason I favor earlier starts is trying to catch people before they find something else to do or to watch. If I were going up against the NFL, my goal would always to throw that green BEFORE the games kick off.
As a huge fan of both Nascar and the NFL, there isn't a Nascar start time that could ever cause me to miss the kickoff of a Steeler's game. Could the average sports fan be lured into watching the complete coverage of a Nascar race just because it started ahead of Sunday's NFL kickoff's? I guess they could, but I'd also guess that is someone that's unlikely to become an avid fan of any sport.

Nothing pains me much more than my declining interest in this sport. That's probably why I have such little hope of ever seeing this sport regain the following it once had. There was a time when my plans revolved around when the green flag was to fly for a given weekend. Start times being early, late or even somewhat consistent had no bearing on my interest in the sport. It's not hard to determine what time a race starts or what channel it's on. These days, when it's on & I have the time, I'll watch it. Otherwise I'll DVR it and maybe take it in at a later time. When the NFL season starts, I don't find it hard to multitask, watching both the NFL and the Nascar race.

But, but, but what about all the fans across the pond in the UK, and those in Germany? Why can't we have some races that start at 4:00 AM and some at 4:00 PM. Excluding our European fans is getting close to discriminating and a possible lawsuit. I would not be surprised to find just as many fans live in Europe as California. :sarcasm:
Yeah, right, sue for discrimination. There's an American solution. :p
Nothing pains me much more than my declining interest in this sport.
On the other hand, I'm losing interest in the NFL, but it isn't bothering me at all. Colts-Texans this weekend was the first entire game I've seen this season, and more than all the other bits and pieces combined.

I check the schedule and see what time the race comes on and make plans accordingly. Hell there are a crap ton of college football games that we dont know the start times on till 7 days before.

A question for the board. Is it important for you to watch Nascar races live or does watching them later in the day work for you?

I prefer to DVR and watch later in the day or the next day. What I like about it is I can FF through all the things (commercials, stage breaks, hipster sightings etc) I don’t care for and see the race in a short time

I prefer live. I like to do chores and gardening during the ads. That gets me moving around during the broadcast. I will record a race if I'm not able to watch live, but then I have a tendency to become as one with the recliner while I'm watching / fast forwarding. Plus I usually watch recordings at night, cutting back on my gardening options.

I'll be honest, I'd like Atlanta and Homestead to be earlier to try to make it as easy as possible to make it a one-day trip. Between lodging and what not I'd rather not have to make trips big weekends anymore. Part of why I don't really go to NASCAR races anymore, although I might try Daytona again in 2019.

I get the TV factor though.

The Las Vegas move is odd.

A question for the board. Is it important for you to watch Nascar races live or does watching them later in the day work for you?

I prefer to DVR and watch later in the day or the next day. What I like about it is I can FF through all the things (commercials, stage breaks, hipster sightings etc) I don’t care for and see the race in a short time
Live

Back
Top Bottom