The Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Hotrod, Feb 11, 2019.

1. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Nice crowd from what I see. Lot of people showed up after the open

LewTheShoe likes this.
  2. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Must be at least 55K, maybe more based on the fact that Charlotte has 89K seats. I think this bodes well for 600 attendance which I imagine will have a few more than the All-Star.

[​IMG]

3. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Ticket sales up for the All-Star Race and Coca-Cola 600.

Have to wonder if the Roval race also helped make the oval events more unique.

mack and Hotrod like this.
  4. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

I had just headed over here to see what those 3 optimistic fellas had to say because from my TV looked like a good turnout, best in a while. Good deal for one of the Crown Jewels/Majors of NASCAR. Shame the death bedders took the holiday weekend off, I was looking forward to their unbiased analysis.

AuzGrams and mack like this.
  5. rowdy3

rowdy3 Team Owner

My guess would be 85-89% full. They took some rows out in the ford upper grandstand.

Hotrod and AuzGrams like this.
  6. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I'm gonna guess 70K-75K or so

Hopefully the uptick in attendance the past 2 weeks continues. I'll be at Sonoma and NHMS.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  7. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Upcoming ticket sales/attendance update... because we always have regurgitated death bed discussions...

• Sonoma (attending) - Ticket sales look pretty good for this, though it doesn't look like a sellout, Carousel will bring in increased ticket sales I would guess
    • Kentucky - Pure boredom look for this race, I looked at weekend tickets and I'm surprised how well Kentucky is selling
    • New Hampshire (attending) - Still up in the air on sales for this, I've had the same ticket deal in the same seat for 3 days now... seems like NHMS isn't a huge draw in July.
    • Las Vegas (attending) - This is far out, but I'm attending. Sales look good on the frontstretch, the expensive upper grandstand seats aren't selling all that great so far (imagine that, the cheaper areas are practically sold out). Looks like this will have improved attendance being a night race from what I see.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Hotrod and LewTheShoe like this.
  8. KodiakRusty89

KodiakRusty89 Team Owner

I'll be at Kentucky. It's a night race in mid July which alone makes it a solid draw. The track is a great place to watch a race. This will be my 4th straight year. Definitely looking forward to it again....

LJ7201, Hotrod, 2 Sweet and 4 others like this.
  9. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Our ratings are up, our attendance is up. If you look at the All-Star Race and 600, they were up double-digits in attendance. I think that builds up off a successful Kansas. Pocono is up so far and that’s building off a successful Charlotte. When we go to Michigan, the early signs are they are up as well a little bit.
    As we get close to the playoffs, people will get more aggressive. We’ve only got six drivers locked in right now with wins. If we’re four-wide at Charlotte for the win, at Pocono with that frontstretch, heck they could be eight-wide. I’ll tell you one thing, by the first turn it better get thinned out or it could be pretty big.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/new-aero-rules-not-a-magic-bullet/4403818/

Hotrod and mack like this.
  10. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Any in attendance have an opinion? Looked decent, some empty spots. I'm guessing around 50K.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  11. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

12. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

[​IMG]

Supposedly Pocono has A LOT of camping that's is behind Talladega and Watkins glen but does pretty well.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Hotrod and Ventisca like this.
  13. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Attendance lagged again this weekend at Iowa. Kinda disappointed considering how great the racing is...

I've been considering going to Iowa soon and tickets for the July Xfinity race are kinda overpriced in some areas...

14. Stu Jameson

Stu Jameson Team Owner

Looks like Sonoma should follow suit.

15. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

Man Sonoma had some pretty barren sections of grandstand. Yet the Glen sells out a similar capacity. We here in upstate NY love our racing.

carolinabuff likes this.
  16. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Iowa has three race weekends in a span of what, seven weekends? Too many events in too short of a time span. It's not like it's that far from the bigger cities in Iowa either.

AuzGrams likes this.
  17. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

They weren't selling tickets to turn 4 BTW. Turn 2, Turn 7, Turn 8-9 were relatively full. Plus they had The Point viewing area.

I honestly expected a few more people, admittedly. But ratings were up so there's that.

18. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I hear attendance was better than last year at Sonoma.

19. Hotrod

Hotrod Team Owner

Not a bad crowd for a Daytona summer storms race. Looks like around 40%ish.
    They are seeing a great race !

( I take credit for that jinx, lol! Bring out the wreckers )

20. rowdy3

rowdy3 Team Owner

Daytona 500 attendance was down and advance ticket sales have been down at ISC tracks.

21. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Yes 4-6% is what it's been for ISC I believe.

22. rowdy3

rowdy3 Team Owner

23. DewChaser988

DewChaser988 NASCAR fan since 1998

Oversaturation is the biggest reason why attendance is down. Too many tracks have 2nd dates when they should only have 1

24. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

If 30K really did show up on Sunday then that seems like a decent crowd to me? You'd think Daytona should be able to get 50-60K or so for the Firecracker under good conditions but maybe I'm wrong?

Johali likes this.
  25. Hotrod

Hotrod Team Owner

Not too bad a crowd at Loudon. Still plenty of elbow room in the stands . Good time
    to go to a race if you can. Still think they need to do more double headers with Xfinity
    and Trucks to get more fans to those events. I agree with a comment above. Maybe time
    to get some tracks down to 1 race per year. Start with cookie cutters first.

AuzGrams likes this.
  26. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Decent crowd. I've heard better than last year. Loved watching 3 races yesterday.

Hotrod likes this.
  27. KodiakRusty89

KodiakRusty89 Team Owner

Shocked by today's attendance! I know it was hot but that was pretty ugly imo. First race in a while where it was rather cringe worthy imo....

Speedbowl14 and ToyYoda like this.
  28. ToyYoda

ToyYoda Team Owner Contributor

Especially considering they only have one race now.

Hotrod likes this.
  29. KodiakRusty89

KodiakRusty89 Team Owner

It's a bit of a crappy date on the schedule. Pocono and Watkins Glen are the next two weeks which draw from a similar region imo. If this race was in late September/early October I'd definitely consider going! That's an awesome time of year in New England!

Hotrod and ToyYoda like this.
  30. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

Attendance today was better than the last couple years by the looks. Remember us northerners are also not used to 95 degree heat and that probably hurt the walkup crowd.

AuzGrams likes this.
  31. Speedbowl14

Speedbowl14 Ryan Preece and short tracks

IMO, demand has fallen most for Daytona 500, Bristol, and NHMS. Loudon sold out every year til 2009 and now I doubt there was 50k there today. It is painful to see.

Hotrod likes this.
  32. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Attendance has been bad at NHMS for a couple years now. Wasn't overly surprised. It was a good race at the track.

Hotrod likes this.
  33. KodiakRusty89

KodiakRusty89 Team Owner

No chance there was 50k there. I'm not sure if it was 1/3 full.

The crowd at Kentucky last week was real good! In terms of % of capacity, the 3 races I've attended (Martinsville, Pocono and Kentucky) are all at or near the top this year. Bristol and NHIS definitely come to mind as two of the worst. Chicago and Daytona were ugly but weather had a major impact on those two events.

I'm interested to see how Pocono does next week. The June race was just horrific. Pocono has a cult following which helps and this is the "vacation" date. Although, they and Watkins Glen have been running ads on our local TV at an extremely high rate. The Glen's ticket sales must be lagging behind this year too. Traditionally, they've had one of the top 3-4 crowds of the year the last few seasons.

34. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

I have seen much better crowds at an Xfinity race than today's cup race.
    For a minute I thought Harvick was talking to himself.

35. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Capacity is 88K at Loudon. I still think it was 40-45K or so. Kentucky did have good attendance.

It's pretty damn far from Boston where I'm staying.

36. Simple Fan

Simple Fan First or Last

Thought it was the biggest crowd they've had in about the last 5 years.

37. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

huh?
    Reserved tickets for the 61st annual DAYTONA 500, the season-opening event for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series, are sold out, Daytona International Speedway President Chip Wile announced today. This is the fourth consecutive year that the DAYTONA 500 has sold out.

Team Penske and Johali like this.
  38. rowdy3

rowdy3 Team Owner

The place holds 101,500 and they sold 98k. They sold about 400 less tickets than last year. It's still well attended but not like 160k 10 years ago.

Speedbowl14 likes this.
  39. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

They've mentioned they've sold out but yet it does say 98K in the ISC reports.. so I don't know

40. rowdy3

rowdy3 Team Owner

They need to sell 97.5% of the tickets to be considered a sellout.