The Attendance Thread

If you can’t sell 44k to a cup race on a beautiful day at a track thought of as one of the best by many fans there is a problem IMO.

The problems could be many such as a lack of promotion for the event, perceived poor quality of the product or value for the dollar.
Where were you?

I'm more amused at how we have the same conversation...Every. Single. Week. with people posting the attendance and/or their estimations and then people bashing on it or saying it's not important or saying they don't care. Every week. Once someone posts a number the exact same arguments come up from both sides.
yes this. this times 1000. I love this post.

I'm more amused at how we have the same conversation...Every. Single. Week. with people posting the attendance and/or their estimations and then people bashing on it or saying it's not important or saying they don't care. Every week. Once someone posts a number the exact same arguments come up from both sides.

It's much better having a dedicated thread instead of constant spreading the same troll around all of the threads. Now it can be reported and moved..Don't go here if you have a problem with that. This place every thread was getting trolled awhile back, attendance, or ratings or save the children attempted to twist every subject. Now it is printed in the rules of conduct to not change the topic of the thread.

I've always though it was humorous to see them say the same thing different ways. over and over. People counting, what an interesting thing to do. hey I'm guessing 90% full from what I counted. I took it from the pictures, added the high dollar RV front row premium spots, added 10% for last minute bathroom breaks and 5% for shooting the breeze with ol time race buddies in the parking lot or under the bleachers in the shade. Looks like the track made money to me.

With the way attendance has been dropping it is a good thing that Nascar tracks are not currently dependent on that revenue.

With the way attendance has been dropping it is a good thing that Nascar tracks are not currently dependent on that revenue.
Doesn't look like they have much of a track problem, but some try their best to make one. :p

ISC owns and operates multiple tracks on the NASCAR, IMSA and INDYCAR circuits. 2017 ISC income at $110.8 million compared to a net income of $76.3 million in 2016; Highest level since 2010.

You introduced it or continued to entertain the subject in to the topic so its completely relevant.

You said:
With the way attendance has been dropping it is a good thing that Nascar tracks
are not currently dependent on that revenue.

If you would like to have a discussion about admissions revenue that would be fine as it relates directly to attendance. It is a very good thing for the tracks that they are not currently dependent on admissions revenue and that is due to what they receive from the current broadcast deal.

The bottom line is you don’t need pictures to illustrate the shocking decline in the number of fans in the stands at Martinsville over the past few years. Hopefully the second date will sell out weeks in advance.

shocking decline...oh brother.:confused:

Combined 2017 NASCAR attendance revenue was $215.1 million

Last edited:
shocking decline...oh brother.:confused:

Combined 2017 NASCAR attendance revenue was $215.1 million

What does 2 year old combined attendance revenue have to do with the shocking decline in cheeks in seats at Martinsville?

What does 2 year old combined attendance revenue have to do with the shocking decline in cheeks in seats at Martinsville?
instead of shocking declines you can guess how much they made in attendance revenue. Nobody appears to be shocked but you..maybe you can find a friend who will be shocked with you.

The bottom line is you don’t need pictures to illustrate the shocking decline in the number of fans in the stands at Martinsville over the past few years. Hopefully the second date will sell out weeks in advance.

The bottom line would actually be financial, that's what the term means. One can't plausibly continue to be shocked by a trend that has been ongoing for a decade.

Gawking at empty seats is a cheap point.

Last edited by a moderator:
instead of shocking declines you can guess how much they made in attendance revenue. Nobody appears to be shocked but you..maybe you can find a friend who will be shocked with you.

Yeah I was shocked as I didn’t realize that Martinsville was forced to get rid of so many seats and only had a 44k max capacity. I thought they were at mid 60’s so you can understand my surprise.

The bottom line would actually be financial, that's what the term means. One can't plausibly continue to be shocked by a trend that has been ongoing for a decade.

Gawking at empty seats is a cheap point.

I want no part of any name calling and I don’t care what goes on between you and your adversary.

IDK what you mean about seat gawking.

When I am on this thread my focus is on the number of people that attend Nascar races. It could be a huge number like Daytona or small numbers like the last 2 races.

If you guys want to talk attendance revenues and how the tracks are raking in the dough have at it. I am talking apples and y’all are taking oranges. I think both topics are valid and are worthy of discussion though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want no part of any name calling and I don’t care what goes on between you and your adversary.

When I am on this thread my focus is on the number of people that attend Nascar races. It could be a huge number like Daytona or small numbers like the last 2 races.

If you guys want to talk attendance revenues and how the tracks are raking in the dough have at it. I am talking apples and y’all are taking oranges. I think both topics are valid and are worthy of discussion though.

your care for humanity is touching, but the bottom line is way more important. Listening to the same thing every week one would hope one would get over it after a few years. I don't know of anybody that continually shocks themselves over the same thing every week

What I find shocking is that people accept that the crowds are thinning, have been thinning, and don't care about it. Man, I'm glad that the new head of NASCAR doesn't seem to look at it the same way.

84% filled as someone stated? Crowd shot from lap 447 from the 41's pit
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2dAWEUWkAAhjjf.jpg

Team Penske pits on the win - 84%? Maybe, maybe not?

Lap 447? Really? Have you seen the stadiums in football empty out when its a lopsided win? Which btw, that race yesterday is what everyone was clamoring for, we want racing to be like it used too!!! Well you got it, but hey, at least Brad wasnt the only car on the lead lap.

I'll keep my discussion to NASCAR and pics of the race.

I could post pics after pics of stadium after stadium of stick n ball empty seats, but that is nothing but trolling. ;) So for the ones doing that don't expect a warm welcome no matter how many user names you can come up with.

I think you do. The thread could be informational and an actual discussion of attendance trends and related issues, which you'd be capable of. Instead there's a guy pointing and laughing about crowd shots, and there's some feelings of shock that should have worn off by now, given that photos from several years ago show the same thing.

I think you do. The thread could be informational and an actual discussion of attendance trends and related issues, which you'd be capable of. Instead there's a guy pointing and laughing about crowd shots, and there's some feelings of shock that should have worn off by now, given that photos from several years ago show the same thing.

I know under different circumstances I could have great conversation with you on any number of topics. You are well informed, fair and look at things without agenda. You are not emotionally involved in the subjects either so that means you are rational.

Ok enough of the niceties! I’m not sure what can be gleaned from NASCAR’s attendance as it is what it is. There could be so many reasons why people don’t go to the track anymore. It could be financial, health related, HDTV, bad value for the buck. Who knows? I have attended many Nascar events over the years and no longer attend. I only know why I stopped going.

I could post pics after pics of stadium after stadium of stick n ball empty seats, but that is nothing but trolling. ;) So for the ones doing that don't expect a warm welcome no matter how many user names you can come up with.

How is posting pics of stick n ball stadiums staying on subject? Didn't you post that was a part of the forum rules not too many posts ago? You know -

Now it is printed in the rules of conduct to not change the topic of the thread.

The thread's OP gave the thread its title and his first post was:

"For all races and events under the NASCAR banner."

Help me understand how posting stick and ball crowd shots fits into what you wrote are the "rules" and not going off topic?

The last time you posted a pic of a less than full hockey arena it was funny. It was at the Barclays Center and it was either prior to the start of the game or during an intermission. Good stuff!

If you are ever inclined to post pics of empty stick and ball venues please do as that sort of thing has no impact on me. Why would it? Why should it?

I for one think there is a good spark to this season. NASCAR is right that qualifying is a important aspect of of each race. Increases in qualifying attendance helps increase excitement and main event attendance.

I for one think there is a good spark to this season. NASCAR is right that qualifying is a important aspect of of each race. Increases in qualifying attendance helps increase excitement and main event attendance.

I haven’t watched qualifying since the 90’s so IDK how well it is attended. I agree that any kind of buzz or good word can’t hurt at all.

oh man, I'm shocked.

By Kendall Davis | WDBJ | March 19, 2019 at 11:58 AM EST - Updated March 19 at 11:58 AM

MARTINSVILLE, VA (WDBJ) - Crews at the Martinsville Speedway are ready for thousands of race fans to roll into town for this weekend’s STP 500.

Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell says ticket sales for the race this weekend are already exceeding expectations.

"It's been a while since I've seen ticket sales doing as well as they are today, on a Monday," said Campbell.

Campbell says for the past few years ticket sales have been flat, not increasing or decreasing.

NASCAR tracks across the country have been focusing on improving the fan experience at their races. Martinsville Speedway decided to open a sky deck for their last race. Giving fans a new way to enjoy the race. They’ll be bringing the sky deck back this year.

I think it is high time to get with the times and move forward with the next generation, bring on me some virtual fans.

Fill up them seats with them man made fan dolls which is much better than those bland plaid color facade seats. Cause the virtual fan doll can be assigned personality profile.

And gamers can Sim a fan.
Be the bleacher roll clearing farter. Be the denture throwing Kyle hating granny. Be the three nippled girl wearing Earnhardt Sr colors. Be the guy that hates everything and everybody, really hates every driver, Nascar, the track, the food, and especially all of the complainers. Be the schizo fan with rotational personalities.

Silly l know but fitting for the 6th page of the thread. Are you there to get your racing fix, and the infectious thrills of the racing, the power, the smell, the exquisite violence of the raw power and skill.

Or are you just there to do an attendance survey and iventory.

Was disappointed in the crowd yesterday given how nice the weather was all weekend. Martinsville is a super cool little facility located in a beautiful part of the country. The drive down 220 from Roanoke to the speedway alone is cool as hell! The atmosphere was nothing like it was when I was last there in 2003. There was almost no traffic getting into the track around 11 in the morning. Afterwards, I hustled back to my car after the race and pulled right out. I was able to make it to my home in Northeast PA (481 miles) by 1:30 this morning.

Lap 447? Really? Have you seen the stadiums in football empty out when its a lopsided win? Which btw, that race yesterday is what everyone was clamoring for, we want racing to be like it used too!!! Well you got it, but hey, at least Brad wasnt the only car on the lead lap.

A second or so covered the top three ... seems like a bad time to leave

oh man, I'm shocked.

By Kendall Davis | WDBJ | March 19, 2019 at 11:58 AM EST - Updated March 19 at 11:58 AM

MARTINSVILLE, VA (WDBJ) - Crews at the Martinsville Speedway are ready for thousands of race fans to roll into town for this weekend’s STP 500.

Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell says ticket sales for the race this weekend are already exceeding expectations.

"It's been a while since I've seen ticket sales doing as well as they are today, on a Monday," said Campbell.

Campbell says for the past few years ticket sales have been flat, not increasing or decreasing.

NASCAR tracks across the country have been focusing on improving the fan experience at their races. Martinsville Speedway decided to open a sky deck for their last race. Giving fans a new way to enjoy the race. They’ll be bringing the sky deck back this year.

Lots of people were predicting a good crowd for the race and when it didn’t happen it was shocking. Only 35k at a Martinsville race. No bueno.

Was disappointed in the crowd yesterday given how nice the weather was all weekend. Martinsville is a super cool little facility located in a beautiful part of the country. The drive down 220 from Roanoke to the speedway alone is cool as hell! The atmosphere was nothing like it was when I was last there in 2003. There was almost no traffic getting into the track around 11 in the morning. Afterwards, I hustled back to my car after the race and pulled right out. I was able to make it to my home in Northeast PA (481 miles) by 1:30 this morning.

I bet it was a good race to see live. I agree that attendance was disappointing and It had to be discouraging for the track promoter. Only 35k on a near perfect day for Martinsville is shocking to me.

Back
Top Bottom