The Attendance Thread

Looks like another crowd of about 35k today which should be the rock bottom for any cup race, IMO.
I don't see how you can count all of those little bitty specks..it's amazing
D2cb0KoW0AI8fuY.jpg:large

It is hard to believe that railway tracks were removed in order to increase seating at Martinsville. IDK if they ever installed the seats but in retrospect it wasn’t necessary. I was surprised to read that The track only seats 44,000 now. Maybe the second race will sell out.

Everyone must have been getting hotdogs in this photo...

You only count 1/2 square inch then multiply and subtract the empty seats.

In the case of Martinsville I didn’t even need to use my slide rule. If the track seats 44k and was 80% full (a very generous allowance) there is your 35k butts in seats.

There was an article from a local newspaper that said ticket sales were really good and that they expected a good size crowd. Good weather and temps were supposed to give the boost.

Nope, was just waiting for the excuses about how thin the crowd was today. You know, everyone was behind or under the stands...lol.

In the case of Martinsville I didn’t even need to use my slide rule. If the track seats 44k and was 80% full (a very generous allowance) there is your 35k butts in seats.

There was an article from a local newspaper that said ticket sales were really good and that they expected a good size crowd. Good weather and temps were supposed to give the boost.
I suppose you forgot to count those in the toilets, others at the hot dog stands and the people making out in the parking lot.

Looked like 84.2 % to me..and that's important.

If the place holds 44,000, then 84.2% means 37,000 and change showed up to a place that used to have a 5 year wait on getting a ticket. You are correct, that is a very important fact. Thanks for pointing it out.

He thinks he posted a photo from today's race. It's years old. That is indicative of the critical thinking skills at work.

Same image on Martinsville's site in 2017.

http://www.martinsvillespeedway.com/Articles/2017/05/2018-dates.aspx

It should be an easy point to score, given that there were obviously some empty seats. Still manages an unforced blunder.
never do they know when a track is making money past a break even point and are surprised/angered at the financials when they come out..real fans :D

As @gnomesayin points out, it is amusing to observe the flailing about of the several members who come here just to tell us how uncool we are because we enjoy a niche sport. Some people are comfortable only when following the mainstream masses, but racing fans are OK making up their own minds about what's worthwhile.

Honestly maybe it was just me but from these photos it looks like attendance was better than last year.

livin in the past bud. Those days are long gone.

I do believe we agree on something. Yes, the days of sellouts and waiting years for tickets to most of NASCAR's events are over.

BTW, I view that as a very bad thing.

Why are people arguing about attendance? Does it ruin your viewing experience if the stands arnt sold out? I’ll be honest...I’ll find my myself watching a race and then they zoom out to show the stands and if they arnt full at a track that used to be full I’ll say to myself “wow that sucks that place used to be packed” and then I’ll go back to enjoying the racing on TV. I can’t believe people actually debate about track attendance, ticket sales or empty seats like they get paid by NASCAR to figure that out. It’s the racing on track that matters to me.

It was a beautiful day in Martinsville yesterday and I am surprised that they could not sell 44,000 tickets or close to it. I know that 35,000 is the new 100,000 when it comes to Nascar attendance but it is still jarring seeing 1980’s sized crowds.

Why are people arguing about attendance? Does it ruin your viewing experience if the stands arnt sold out? I’ll be honest...I’ll find my myself watching a race and then they zoom out to show the stands and if they arnt full at a track that used to be full I’ll say to myself “wow that sucks that place used to be packed” and then I’ll go back to enjoying the racing on TV. I can’t believe people actually debate about track attendance, ticket sales or empty seats like they get paid by NASCAR to figure that out. It’s the racing on track that matters to me.

Other than showing a lack of interest Nascar attendance doesn’t mean a whole lot at this juncture. The tracks are being well taken care of under the current broadcast deal and as such don’t count heavily on attendance revenue.

As long as the next broadcast deal is similar to this one life will be good for the tracks. If the broadcast deal is less the tracks would become gate driven and attendance figures would be really important.

Either way none of this is life or death and just a subject to muse over like the 2019 rules or TV ratings.

I'm kinda amused how much people are talking about attendance, yet they say they don't care about the sport lol.

I'm kinda amused how much people are talking about attendance, yet they say they don't care about the sport lol.

I'm more amused at how we have the same conversation...Every. Single. Week. with people posting the attendance and/or their estimations and then people bashing on it or saying it's not important or saying they don't care. Every week. Once someone posts a number the exact same arguments come up from both sides.

I have said this over and over and over...IMO, the scary part is it does not cost a whole lot to go to a NASCAR race these days (other than the travel). INDY allows THREE kids in under the age of 16 for FREE with a $50 adult ticket. No one goes. Kentucky allows TWO kids under the age of 12 in for free with every $59 ticket. I mean, it's cheap in comparison to any other sport event. That is a problem.

I'm more amused at how we have the same conversation...Every. Single. Week. with people posting the attendance and/or their estimations and then people bashing on it or saying it's not important or saying they don't care. Every week. Once someone posts a number the exact same arguments come up from both sides.

Ain’t that the truth! With the thread being about attendance there will be good reports like Daytona and not so good like yesterday and Cali. I understand that people may not be interested in the subject but the easier thing is to bypass the thread.

Ain’t that the truth! With the thread being about attendance there will be good reports like Daytona and not so good like yesterday and Cali. I understand that people may not be interested in the subject but the easier thing is to bypass the thread.
If it werent for a couple of threads on this site you wouldnt exist, well until you create another username.

If it werent for a couple of threads on this site you wouldnt exist, well until you create another username.

I participate in the threads I’m interested in and pass on the ones that don’t. Seems like good policy to me.

Looks like the lower priced seats were mostly passed up for the ones that are higher up and more expensive.

People probably bought the lower priced tickets and moved up to the more expensive seats.

In any case it was a 1980’s sized crowd and a black mark not being able to sell out such a small facility.

People probably bought the lower priced tickets and moved up to the more expensive seats.

In any case it was a 1980’s sized crowd and a black mark not being able to sell out such a small facility.
Black mark for whom? Everybody got paid and the fans watched the race. The ones who wanted to be there, unlike you who could have been there but would rather complain the seats arent full.

I participate in the threads I’m interested in and pass on the ones that don’t. Seems like good policy to me.
We know, but seriously you cant say much more then you've already said. You just use different words to come to the same conclusion.

Black mark for whom? Everybody got paid and the fans watched the race. The ones who wanted to be there, unlike you who could have been there but would rather complain the seats arent full.

If you can’t sell 44k to a cup race on a beautiful day at a track thought of as one of the best by many fans there is a problem IMO.

The problems could be many such as a lack of promotion for the event, perceived poor quality of the product or value for the dollar.

We know, but seriously you cant say much more then you've already said. You just use different words to come to the same conclusion.

I've always though it was humorous to see them say the same thing different ways. over and over. People counting, what an interesting thing to do. hey I'm guessing 90% full from what I counted. I took it from the pictures, added the high dollar RV front row premium spots, added 10% for last minute bathroom breaks and 5% for shooting the breeze with ol time race buddies in the parking lot or under the bleachers in the shade. Looks like the track made money to me.

Back
Top Bottom