The Attendance Thread

I'm looking forward to the crowd at Talladega Sunday. Usually a packed house. Us Rednecks here in Bama love Talladega. I'll be watching on the tube, but I'll be tuned in from green to checkers. Hoping for a safe race and no "big one". Harvick is overdue.

Am I the only one who thought attendance for the Xfinity race was good?

That was a pretty good crowd. It looked like more people were on hand for the race yesterday than were on hand for the Cup race at Bristol.

Unfortunately Larry Mac seems to have lost touch with reality and is a blood Pollyanna for NASCAR these days. I had to laugh when he said making people sit on the straights at Bristol created a lot of energy. Also comparing NASCAR attendance to the college national championship for football is borderline ridiculous. There were probably more than a 1/4 million people that would have attended that game if they had a chance...come on Larry.

Unfortunately Larry Mac seems to have lost touch with reality and is a blood Pollyanna for NASCAR these days. I had to laugh when he said making people sit on the straights at Bristol created a lot of energy. Also comparing NASCAR attendance to the college national championship for football is borderline ridiculous. There were probably more than a 1/4 million people that would have attended that game if they had a chance...come on Larry.

I have to laugh at the comparison of what Larry Mac actually said and what some think he said.

Not only was it a nice crowd at Dega yesterday, but the energy level was really high too. Obviously it helped that Chase was doing really well for most of the race - lots of enthusiasm for him - but the overall competitiveness made everyone more excited. I think the weather helped too - it was sunny but not too hot - just a really wonderful day for racing.

2 each per year is good. If more, law of diminishing return would take over and cheapen the event imo.
I hear ya though.
I was kinda wondering if there were any tracks which would have enough fan support to reasonably host 3 Cup Series races in a year. Has that ever been done in NASCAR history? As long as I can remember every track gets 1 or 2.

If it were going to be tried today I think they would have to do it at a track with lights and an alternate configuration in order to make each race unique. Perhaps a track like Charlotte could have a traditional Sunday afternoon race in the early Spring before the weather gets hot, then a Saturday night race in the middle of Summer, and then the Roval on a Sunday afternoon in the late Fall when it starts cooling off again.

Decent attendance for Xfinity from what I saw, looked to be a decent crowd. Trucks looked pretty average.

I can't understand , with all the radical changes Nascar is willing to make to try and get fans back, why they won't entertain the idea of going back to the season long championship battle. It made the racing throughout the field so much more relevant and interesting. The fans of drivers who were not in contention to win still had things to get excited about during the race. I'd be willing to compromise and keep the stages as long as the big points pay out is still at the end of the race.
The playoffs have been absolute failure. How can't they see that?

When it comes to the topic of why NASCAR has dropped off so much the Chase/playoffs is one of the top 3 reasons on everyone's list.

So far this year...

Daytona - Sellout (101k)
Atlanta - Decent, room to grow
Las Vegas - Decent, room to grow
Phoenix - Below expectations, should sellout
Fontana - Well below expectations
Martinsville - Decent, room to grow at night
Texas - OK by NASCAR standards, too big
Bristol - Well below expectations, should get at least 55K or 60K
Richmond - Decent, room to grow
Talladega - near sellout or great crowd (80k)
Dover - Good crowd for Monday
Kansas - Well below expectations

So far this year...

Daytona - Sellout (101k)
Atlanta - Decent, room to grow
Las Vegas - Decent, room to grow
Phoenix - Below expectations, should sellout
Fontana - Well below expectations
Martinsville - Decent, room to grow at night
Texas - OK by NASCAR standards, too big
Bristol - Well below expectations, should get at least 55K or 60K
Richmond - Decent, room to grow
Talladega - near sellout or great crowd (80k)
Dover - Good crowd for Monday
Kansas - Well below expectations

I think you have a bad case of eastcoastitis myself. Crowd was really good last week at Kansas. Hard to tell at Phoenix and BTW many of the tracks where they have opened up the attendance in the middle of the tracks Phoenix being one so much of this is guesswork.

I didn't think the crowd was good at Kansas, did we see the same thing? Maybe I missed a good view at the start.

Phoenix was a decent crowd, just didn't look like a sellout

I think you have a bad case of eastcoastitis myself. Crowd was really good last week at Kansas. Hard to tell at Phoenix and BTW many of the tracks where they have opened up the attendance in the middle of the tracks Phoenix being one so much of this is guesswork.
F2CD18A3-462A-4CF9-A85E-131143BA2194.jpeg
the top sections at Kansas were barren and it only holds 48,000

I didn't think the crowd was good at Kansas, did we see the same thing? Maybe I missed a good view at the start.

Phoenix was a decent crowd, just didn't look like a sellout

ISC was disappointed with the crowd at Phoenix. With all the new sitting and suites they had about 5k unsold tickets. Ticket sales at isc tracks through the coke 400 are down about 3-7% at each track.

I don't think most of ya have been to a mile and a half track and have any idea of the scale. This is a half a mile of people. Yeah there are blank spots, but there is a hell of a lot of people there.

No I've been to Sonoma, Fontana, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Kansas. Though the attendance at the start of the race looks pretty good compared to later in the race when it looked 50% full.

latest figures from all three, ISC, SMI and Dover posted in March was the attendance revenue was down 2.7% since 2016. Not much of a concern IMO. during that time at least 9 tracks have been remodeled and more on the way.

No I've been to Sonoma, Fontana, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Kansas. Though the attendance at the start of the race looks pretty good compared to later in the race when it looked 50% full.

Check out all of the RV's in the infield and around the outside of the track also. They do not give those spots away. A friend of mine stayed in the infield in his RV at Daytona. Dry camping, no hookups, 1800 bucks for 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom