The case for Matt DiBenedetto

Matt D is passionate about his profession. How is it sponsors don't seem to like that? How do some of these no personality drivers get all of these sponsors behind them? I don't understand how he's not a slam dunk on getting another year in that 21 or an even better ride. I'd take him over anyone coming out of xfinity. Him and Erik Jones both.

Good for him! And I'll be watching in anticipation of him clicking off win #1 for himself and #100 for the Wood Bros team. I'm positive he will do it.

Very interesting decision...one more year then Cindric confirmed to take over the ride in 2022. Matt will be 30 years old and looking for a new ride, but could work out for him to take over from the next retiring driver (if he has success). I still predict Briscoe will take over the 14 next season.

Very interesting decision...one more year then Cindric confirmed to take over the ride in 2022. Matt will be 30 years old and looking for a new ride, but could work out for him to take over from the next retiring driver (if he has success). I still predict Briscoe will take over the 14 next season.
Kurt Busch will be out of the 1 most likely next year. That could be a landing spot if Monster likes Matt.

Don't play stupid bud, there have been plenty of drivers who went thru the lower series and have succeeded in the cup series.
I didn't say there wasn't, just mentioned that from all of those you mentioned only 2 won a championship. Touchy crowd in here today. First I am called a 5 yr old and now stupid.
I guess I better stay north of the border.

I hope that he puts the car in victory lane this weekend. 100th win for the Wood Brothers and that new contract would make for one great week!

I didn't say there wasn't, just mentioned that from all of those you mentioned only 2 won a championship.
There have only been 33 NASCAR champions in 70 total seasons. Not exactly the only measurement for success.

I dunno why everyone gets all bent out of shape over the "family" talk. It's business and everyone involved knows it. Matt has a great opportunity to prove himself next year.

I didn't say there wasn't, just mentioned that from all of those you mentioned only 2 won a championship. Touchy crowd in here today. First I am called a 5 yr old and now stupid.
I guess I better stay north of the border.
Well your idea of success differs from mine. I guess I should have figured out that when you called the Xfinity series the "kiddy division". Two of those I listed Biff and Kurt I watched them their first years in the trucks racing at Texas international. You probably should go to a race sometime and stand close to the fence. ain't no kiddy division to it. .

There have only been 33 NASCAR champions in 70 total seasons. Not exactly the only measurement for success.
That's because 3 guys won it seven times. I agree with you, not often does one of my favorites win a championship but I enjoy them racing regardless.

One more year, then out on his ass again. #Family

I do think by then there may be, just as there were this year, a few more good quality rides available, at least (the #10? for example). And also Denny's new team etc may expand to two teams with the new car. Even Byron and/or Bowman may have to prove themselves or be out by then. So there definitely should be some place for him.

Good for him! And I'll be watching in anticipation of him clicking off win #1 for himself and #100 for the Wood Bros team. I'm positive he will do it.
I hope it happens this year. That would be a nice little present for us race fans for having to put up with 2020 - and I don't mean the 2020 NASCAR season, but 2020 in general.

NASCAR has actually done an amazing job of making a crappy year better by managing to give us all the racing we expected. We all piss and moan about them sometimes but they've done a Herculean job to get this racing season in and I commend their efforts.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic.

I think it is time RFR to step up and bring in a driver who can run up front.
I think Matt could be the man to take over the #6 car and put it back on the front page.

I am just glad Matt has the extra year. Cinderic is a great talent and I think one would have to be naive to believe that he wouldn't get the first consideration. Penske would need to create a third team for Dibendetto to stay connected long term even with the Wood Brothers car.
It is a tough market, Brisco and Larson along with Cinderic are going to land in some good rides, probably the best ones.

Given the circumstances this was at least one of the best alternatives. It could have been worse.
I would love to see Matt win at least one or two races with the remaining opportunity, and make himself even more undeniable for 2022.

I think Matt could be the man to take over the #6 car and put it back on the front page.
I hope he gets a better opportunity than that one in 2022.

One more year, then out on his ass again. #Family
'Family' is when they don't tell you you're out on your ass until late in the season, when you didn't even know you were racing for your job. Matt knows where he stands with plenty of time time to get something lined up.

Are the cars being fielded by RFR these days capable of running up front? I don't think any two randomly selected HOF drivers could get them up there right now.

I hope he gets a better opportunity than that one in 2022.
I really don't see anything becoming available in the Ford camp. There are good prospects in Xfinity and Trucks for each of the manufacturers. There are lesser teams but the rides would be less that what he has now.
If he was willing to go to GM he possible could be considered for the #1 car.

I really don't see anything becoming available in the Ford camp. There are good prospects in Xfinity and Trucks for each of the manufacturers. There are lesser teams but the rides would be less that what he has now.
If he was willing to go to GM he possible could be considered for the #1 car.
I don't think Matt would care, and I certainly don't, what brand of ride he gets as long as it's one worthy of his talent.

Are the cars being fielded by RFR these days capable of running up front? I don't think any two randomly selected HOF drivers could get them up there right now.
How do we know, they haven't had a very good driver in years. They seem to be happy with a mid-packer. I don't know how to rate Stenhouse. Was he a real good driver and just had a poor car? Is RFR that bad because they won't commit the money? They certainly have the engines and I am sure Ford is giving them all the information car wise to be competitive. I think with some effort and money, Matt could become a top 15-20 driver for them.

I don't think Matt would care, and I certainly don't, what brand of ride he gets as long as it's one worthy of his talent.
I agree and manufacturer should be no problem as he is 2 for 2.
I think he would be good for the #1 car. Do you think the new car will be different enough to cause some current drivers to lose their ride because they couldn't adjust?

I agree and manufacturer should be no problem as he is 2 for 2.
I think he would be good for the #1 car. Do you think the new car will be different enough to cause some current drivers to lose their ride because they couldn't adjust?
Interesting question and one I hadn't really thought about but I can see that possibility.

I hope it happens this year. That would be a nice little present for us race fans for having to put up with 2020 - and I don't mean the 2020 NASCAR season, but 2020 in general.

NASCAR has actually done an amazing job of making a crappy year better by managing to give us all the racing we expected. We all piss and moan about them sometimes but they've done a Herculean job to get this racing season in and I commend their efforts.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic.
Excellent post. We may bash NASCAR for this and that as the times roll on, but their handling of the circumstances brought forth by the coronavirus has been wonderful. They got all of the races in, and we’re now at the same point we would be in during any season because of the route they chose to go with it. My hat is off to NASCAR for this one. Truly well done.

He was top 20 with the #95, and is top 15 now. I'll be disappointed if he can't do better next year; say, 12th and round of 12.
Yes with Penske equipment he should and I wouldn't be surprised to see top 10.
I was referencing "if" he got the #6 ride.

Back
Top Bottom