The Case for the Playoff System....and crowning of a Champion

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Okay, here we go....and remember (How could you forget?) my Toyota bias. If the season ended today, Denny Hamlin would be Champion. Okay, I know the points used to be awarded differently, but stay with me. Raise your hand if you think Denny is anywhere close to Larson....

Okay, here we go....and remember (How could you forget?) my Toyota bias. If the season ended today, Denny Hamlin would be Champion. Okay, I know the points used to be awarded differently, but stay with me. Raise your hand if you think Denny is anywhere close to Larson....

The season doesn't end today.

Raise your hand if you think Denny is anywhere close to Larson....
In the first 10 races I would've said yes. Denny was consistently a top 3 car on speed and often finished there. The last few weeks have been rough, but it's a long season. I'm sure the 11 will right the ship and be back to form. Denny has scored the most points this year. Therefore he would be a deserving champion.

Denny only has one finish worse than 14th this year, Larson has 5 of those. Denny has been more consistent where Larson has been more up and down, although he’s definitely on the “up” part of that right now.

If from Daytona to Sonoma were the last bunch of races on the schedule, Denny would be champion out of consistency. This is why the current system is dumb as hell. You shouldn’t be champion just because you go on a hot streak for a few races, meanwhile a guy like Denny has been consistently in the mix for almost the entire season so far.

So yes, rightfully hand the trophy to Denny if the season ended yesterday.

If from Daytona to Sonoma were the last bunch of races on the schedule, Denny would be champion out of consistency. This is why the current system is dumb as hell. You shouldn’t be champion just because you go on a hot streak for a few races, meanwhile a guy like Denny has been consistently in the mix for almost the entire season so far.

So yes, rightfully hand the trophy to Denny if the season ended yesterday.
So noted. Not the best driver, and not the best year, but I get it. Interesting.

Let me pose you this question as a point to why the playoffs do kind of suck.

Say you have an amazing season, one where you would clinch the championship say, 2 races ahead of time, but since it’s a one race deal you don’t, but you make it there. Then during the race, some driver takes you out because he doesn’t like a move you made(and it’s not even a bad move, the other driver just gets mad) is it fair for you to lose that championship, all because another driver wanted to be a dick and wreck you? Something out of your control? That’s why the system is flawed. Stuff out of your control could cost you a championship.

I have to say if we didnt have this Points system what on earth would the NBC crew crew (1 week away from taking over) be shouting about all race??

Really not looking forward to it. As bad as Fox/FS1's coverage is (Clint Bowyer's entire shtick grates my nerves), that NBC/SN booth is just relentless with their screaming and yelling.

Points haven't mattered much since 2003, and they really haven't mattered since 2013. It has been years since I've looked at the points standings, which is crazy because I watched the standings like a hawk during the Winston Cup era. I was really glad to see my driver win the title last year, and even though he truly deserved it, I didn't feel the same excitement that I did about seeing my driver win a Winston Cup title.

You can theoretically win the first 35 races and still lose the championship to a guy with one (or zero) wins. But but but Super Bowl and 18-1 Patriots and the NCAA basketball tournament and "Game 7 moments" and all the other stick and ball nonsense comparisons!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I don't know why anyone cares the slightest bit about the points right now. Let the NBC clowns worry about that in a couple weeks.

Points haven't mattered much since 2003, and they really haven't mattered since 2013. It has been years since I've looked at the points standings, which is crazy because I watched the standings like a hawk during the Winston Cup era. I was really glad to see my driver win the title last year, and even though he truly deserved it, I didn't feel the same excitement that I did about seeing my driver win a Winston Cup title.

You can theoretically win the first 35 races and still lose the championship to a guy with one (or zero) wins. But but but Super Bowl and 18-1 Patriots and the NCAA basketball tournament and "Game 7 moments" and all the other stick and ball nonsense comparisons!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I don't know why anyone cares the slightest bit about the points right now. Let the NBC clowns worry about that in a couple weeks.
I agree with all this and feel the exact same way. I used to love the points battles up and down the points table. There was alot going in the standings besides just the Championship battle which usually were awesome in themselves. But I've come to peace with what we have. They arnt going to change it back I am afraid, we have what we have at this point. To be honest though and I am not being passive aggressive but how many years have we had this system and I still cant explain to a new fan what is a stage point and playoff points and how it accumulates. My explanations usually are "Driver X just finishes as high as he can and then goes from there." I am actually embarrassed I havent figured it out yet.

PLAYOFF IMPLICATIONS!
I cant wait:rolleyes: for NBC to unveil our Big 3 or Championship 4 of this year for the next 5 months and change. Me being an HMS and Chevy fan...... I know they are going to beat the Larson/Elliott/Byron/Bowman success thus far in the season into the ground as a story and I might actually begin to root against them by the time we get to Playoff Lid Lifter at The Southern 500. I'm already dreading that boob Rick Allen and Jeff Burton screaming at me every lap ( I find Letarte okay, a bit goofy and Jr is still awesome, he'd be so much more great at this with a professional booth say the original ESPN booths)

But I've come to peace with what we have. They arnt going to change it back I am afraid, we have what we have at this point.

Yeah, we are definitely stuck with this silly idea of a playoff system and I'll never be a fan of the artificially forced aspect of it, especially the "final four" season finale. That being said, I think the current format with the playoff/stage bonus points is about as good as it'll get. And I think the last half of the season would be a lot more enjoyable if the NBC booth would learn to chill out a bit.

The playoff supporters always point to the years like '94 when Earnhardt clinched the title early. So what? What was wrong with that? If you look at how successful and naturally exciting the sport and the individual races were back then, clearly an anti-climatic battle for the Cup over the last month didn't affect the popularity. Besides, if Irvan didn't almost die at Michigan, that would have been a damn close battle between the 3 and the 28.

We have beat this topic to death time and time again so I'll stop my rant now. I just think it's a damn shame we'll never have the opportunity to witness another '92 Hooters 500.

1623093834773.png

Yeah, we are definitely stuck with this silly idea of a playoff system and I'll never be a fan of the artificially forced aspect of it, especially the "final four" season finale. That being said, I think the current format with the playoff/stage bonus points is about as good as it'll get. And I think the last half of the season would be a lot more enjoyable if the NBC booth would learn to chill out a bit.

The playoff supporters always point to the years like '94 when Earnhardt clinched the title early. So what? What was wrong with that? If you look at how successful and naturally exciting the sport and the individual races were back then, clearly an anti-climatic battle for the Cup over the last month didn't affect the popularity. Besides, if Irvan didn't almost die at Michigan, that would have been a damn close battle between the 3 and the 28.

We have beat this topic to death time and time again so I'll stop my rant now. I just think it's a damn shame we'll never have the opportunity to witness another '92 Hooters 500.
agree tenfold. I think we need to stop talking about points systems as it seems members of our esteemed board are getting annoyed. It's an All Star week so........ favorite NASCAR All Star Race format. I'll log off and read responses

As I've said on that thread I had, it'd be interesting if we used a system similar to F1. Definitely adds to the drama when you have situations like Verstappen's tire blowing followed by Hamilton cooking the brakes into Turn 1 on that GWC. Could use stages to award bonus points similar to the fastest lap in F1 as well. Regardless I think a season long points race is overall more exciting than 10 races being do or die. Here's what we'd have at the moment if we used F1's system

Place
Driver
2Elliott139
3Hamlin138
4Truex133
5Logano111
6Byron107
7Ky. Busch97
8Harvick88
9Bowman84
10Keselowski80
11McDowell58
12Bell51
13Reddick48
14Blaney47
15Dillon37
16DiBenedetto24
17Chastain24
18Ku. Busch24
19Stenhouse18
20Newman17
21Allmendinger16
22Buescher16
23Suarez14
24Preece10
25Almirola8
26Grala8
27Briscoe8
28McMurray4
29E. Jones3
30Lajoie2
31Custer2

I think we need to stop talking about points systems as it seems members of our esteemed board are getting annoyed.
I don't think anyone is annoyed.

After years of Rockingham and Wilkesboro forum reconstruction projects, structural changes to the points and playoff systems, road course re-design, battery powered pit guns, F1 lever jacks front and rear and mudflaps, I find comfort in reality.

YMMV and clearly does.

As I've said on that thread I had, it'd be interesting if we used a system similar to F1. Definitely adds to the drama when you have situations like Verstappen's tire blowing followed by Hamilton cooking the brakes into Turn 1 on that GWC. Could use stages to award bonus points similar to the fastest lap in F1 as well. Regardless I think a season long points race is overall more exciting than 10 races being do or die. Here's what we'd have at the moment if we used F1's system

Place
Driver
2Elliott139
3Hamlin138
4Truex133
5Logano111
6Byron107
7Ky. Busch97
8Harvick88
9Bowman84
10Keselowski80
11McDowell58
12Bell51
13Reddick48
14Blaney47
15Dillon37
16DiBenedetto24
17Chastain24
18Ku. Busch24
19Stenhouse18
20Newman17
21Allmendinger16
22Buescher16
23Suarez14
24Preece10
25Almirola8
26Grala8
27Briscoe8
28McMurray4
29E. Jones3
30Lajoie2
31Custer2
This subject is another dead horse.

Beating it in 2 threads won't change that.

I don't think anyone is annoyed.

After years of Rockingham and Wilkesboro forum reconstruction projects, structural changes to the points and playoff systems, road course re-design, battery powered pit guns, F1 lever jacks front and rear and mudflaps, I find comfort in reality.

YMMV and clearly does.
Well I dont think I myself am veering from reality, I just find comfort in interacting with other members on a topic that has always interested me, especially when its kind of a slow news week thus far. It's All Star week, there isnt too much going on and is the consensus on the board that not many are looking forward to this race? I think in this thread we are just shooting the $hit. I would hope no one is taking the points system topics seriously as its probably never going back to what it was. Some of the topics you listed above greatly interest me over things like Jacks, mudflaps, racing in the rain, push rods and other mechanical threads we have had in the past in the board and thats okay I dont think we are going to agree on liking everything that other members make a thread on. I personally would take this thread over another "Has Driver X lost a step" "Does Driver X still care?" or "Why is Owner X spending his money on exotic cars?"

There is a Santa. To my kid this christmas I will be Santa as I will be buying gifts for his first Christmas, I seriously cant wait for it.
Are you going to buy your little whipper snapper a KDB t-shirt for his first Christmas?:D

I bought him some vintage Jeff Gordon shirts. I’m gonna let him select his own favorite current driver I think
Where did you find vintage Gordon merch? I need that information for science.

Where did you find vintage Gordon merch? I need that information for science.
eBay. I spend hours upon hours. Usually just search “Jeff Gordon Vintage” and fall down a rabbit hole. I try to find “Chase Authentics” or “Sports Image” items as I know those are legit. I found a kids Medium Jeff Gordon Jurassic Park shirt. I paid way too much for it.

I know where you're coming from, but in reality they're close. Hamlin has been very consistent this year. Larson has been able to close out & win three races, but when it matters the most, they'll both be up there.

Well I dont think I myself am veering from reality, I just find comfort in interacting with other members on a topic that has always interested me, especially when its kind of a slow news week thus far. It's All Star week, there isnt too much going on and is the consensus on the board that not many are looking forward to this race? I think in this thread we are just shooting the $hit. I would hope no one is taking the points system topics seriously as its probably never going back to what it was. Some of the topics you listed above greatly interest me over things like Jacks, mudflaps, racing in the rain, push rods and other mechanical threads we have had in the past in the board and thats okay I dont think we are going to agree on liking everything that other members make a thread on. I personally would take this thread over another "Has Driver X lost a step" "Does Driver X still care?" or "Why is Owner X spending his money on exotic cars?"

Remember the time a guy started a thread advocating for a restart "choose rule" and was mocked and dismissed for having the audacity to suggest something so absurd and foreign?

I believe that was in 2018. Today it's the status quo.

Remember the time a guy started a thread advocating for a restart "choose rule" and mocked and dismissed by many for having the audacity to suggest something so absurd and foreign? "How could that ever work?"

I believe that was in 2018. Today it's the status quo.
Holy crap, you remember stuff here from 2018. I usually forget the stuff I read here after one nap. :)

Back
Top Bottom