The Chrome Horn... cheap shot or rubbins' racin'

If I'm not mistaken, you said you were a Rusty fan. You calling Rusty a coward?

I think you are mistaken. As for Wallace, he was one of the few drivers of his time to be a threat to win at every track he raced on.

I think you are mistaken. As for Wallace, he was one of the few drivers of his time to be .

Oh sorry, I thought I saw you say that somewhere.

As far as Rusty being a threat to win at every track he raced on, I'll give you that. But he was also known as one of the dirtiest drivers of his time too.

I think you are mistaken. As for Wallace, he was one of the few drivers of his time to be a threat to win at every track he raced on.
How'd his record at restrictor plate tracks look?

Rusty was a great short track racer who could win on intermediate tracks and road courses, but you're being a little hyperbolic there.

What's your opinion when a driver uses the 'chrome horn' to gain a position, or win?

I think as long as it doesn't cause the car to wreck it's ok. They way I see it is, this is nascar. That's why they have fenders. lol
When it's done correctly it's a thing of beauty.

I've seen people get really upset when they see a driver do it too, so where do you fall in the issue of the chrome horn?

NASCAR has said as part of it's "New Rules Going Forward" after last weeks scandal that wrecking someone intentionally would now be illegal:

>>Of course the consequence of the action is that NASCAR now has a fatter rule book, and the days of Prison Rules (that is, no rules) Racing encapsulated with “Boys have at it” appear to be gone. “Intentionally wrecking” a competitor is now illegal as I read the rules. (Read the rules “technical bulletin” here.) Now it’s more like “Boys have at it, but don’t go too far.” You can still have contact while racing for a position, but you can’t “intentionally wreck” another competitor.<<

http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog...atten-its-rule-book-to-protect-its-brand.html

Seems to me that it will be difficult for them to enforce that consistently and knowing NASCAR, who knows if it will still be a rule this time next year. Also, it seems as if it will be riskier for a driver to deliberately "bump", "tap" or "rub" another car 'cause if the "bumped" car spins out or otherwise wrecks as a result, the wrecking driver will get a penalty.

NASCAR has said as part of it's "New Rules Going Forward" after last weeks scandal that wrecking someone intentionally would now be illegal:

>>Of course the consequence of the action is that NASCAR now has a fatter rule book, and the days of Prison Rules (that is, no rules) Racing encapsulated with “Boys have at it” appear to be gone. “Intentionally wrecking” a competitor is now illegal as I read the rules. (Read the rules “technical bulletin” here.) Now it’s more like “Boys have at it, but don’t go too far.” You can still have contact while racing for a position, but you can’t “intentionally wreck” another competitor.<<

http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog...atten-its-rule-book-to-protect-its-brand.html

Seems to me that it will be difficult for them to enforce that consistently and knowing NASCAR, who knows if it will still be a rule this time next year. Also, it seems as if it will be riskier for a driver to deliberately "bump", "tap" or "rub" another car 'cause if the "bumped" car spins out or otherwise wrecks as a result, the wrecking driver will get a penalty.
Yeah, like I said, the boys have at it was gone when Kyle Busch wrecked Hornaday under caution in that truck race.

Oh sorry, I thought I saw you say that somewhere.

As far as Rusty being a threat to win at every track he raced on, I'll give you that. But he was also known as one of the dirtiest drivers of his time too.

That he was.

Rusty was a great short track racer who could win on intermediate tracks and road courses, but you're being a little hyperbolic there.

Perhaps a little :)

Rusty actually ran well on restrictor plate races until his engine blew or his car flipped over.

A little bump or rub that may or may not loosen him up so you can get by is fine. A shot in the rear to move him out of the way is a sign of a driver who doesn't know how to race and a favor that will be returned.

Something not talked about so far, on the larger tracks, they use to air to loosen them up, or slow them down, and in some cases turn them. A lot of that goes on, more then the chrome horn, but it is harder to prove. Kez and Blaney worked Kyle over a number of times in the last truck race. Blaney would pull up to Kyles side on the straight a way and pull him off of Kez, or hang on his rear quarter going thru the corner and loosen him up. I think sometimes when a driver gets fed up with another driver it is because he races them that way all year.

This is stock car racing. This sport was made on a fight on national TV. Fierce competition along with a hair trigger temper are what makes this sport so unique. If this was implemented in Sr.'s day he woulda been an outcast banned from the sport. How can NASCAR possibly enforce this? They shoulda just said "its not cheating until you get caught". I'm really looking forward to how Gordon, Stewart, Harvick, JPM and both Busch brothers change their driving style.

This is stock car racing. This sport was made on a fight on national TV. Fierce competition along with a hair trigger temper are what makes this sport so unique. If this was implemented in Sr.'s day he woulda been an outcast banned from the sport. How can NASCAR possibly enforce this? They shoulda just said "its not cheating until you get caught". I'm really looking forward to how Gordon, Stewart, Harvick, JPM and both Busch brothers change their driving style.

A lot will depend on how consistently they even try to enforce this. Publishing rules is one thing but we all know that NASCAR is infamous for applying penalties capriciously...that is, the consequence of an action one week may be entirely different than the consequences for the same action the following week, etc. I predict that by this time next year (if not before), it will be business as usual by NASCAR in terms of making rules and "enforcing" them, in other words, nothing will have really changed.

...... I predict that by this time next year (if not before), it will be business as usual by NASCAR in terms of making rules and "enforcing" them, in other words, nothing will have really changed.

Lord I hope so . This sport cannot be run of the week to week wims of fans . Whineing because they don't like Chad , or Kyle , or Clint , but okay if Gordon or Junior , or Stewart does the same thing . Hating Kurt and AJ one year and loving them the next . What in hell is Nascar thinking , trying to react to these people. The tail is wagging the dog and it isn't going to work.

If they outlaw car-to-car contact for the purpose of gaining a position, that'll be the day I quit watching NASCAR.
They already have auto racing where car-to-car contact is frowned upon; it's called open wheel.

Like all sports, the rules change over the years. Using the "chrome horn" is as old as the sport. In the old days, just about anything goes because the sport was self policed. Once the cost of running a team became more important, owners/drivers began to try and use discretion and not doing a very good job of it. I've never been a fan of the maneuver, but understand why it has been used. There are numerous examples of it from over the years. I think maybe the most famous was when old Ironhead used it on Terry Labonte and said all he was trying to do was rattle his cage. All the drivers know it can happen to them and naturally will carry a grudge. It helps sell tickets and can and does change the scope of the race and finish. Just like the NFL is trying to sanitize and make their sport better, so goes it with NASCAR. The problem is that old fans don't necessarily like all the changes, but then again, older fans are dying out and neo fans learn from what they have seen. Some of you guys would be shocked at what happened in those early years of NASCAR. Imagine if you will, the wife of Lee Petty hitting Tiny Lund with her purse after Petty failed to knock Tiny out of the race where he went on to win. Oh how the sport has changed.

That's funny Buck, I heard Buddy Baker tell a story on the radio about Tiny. Buddy went into the garage after the race to straighten Tiny out. Tiny grabbed him on the arm, Buddy said you should have seen the size of his hand, it went all the way around my arm. buddy wasn't a small guy either. Anyway Tiny said to him "calm down Buddy". Buddy said "I calmed down right quick"

I remember a few years back when NASCAR made a rule forbidding drivers to bump draft "too much" at plate tracks. Was absolutely the worst racing I ever saw. If there gonna outlaw contact they might as well get rid of every track under 1.5 miles

Really things are working pretty good since boys have at it went in effect. There hasnt been as much last lap bump and runs, the drivers are policing themselves pretty well.

I remember a few years back when NASCAR made a rule forbidding drivers to bump draft "too much" at plate tracks. Was absolutely the worst racing I ever saw. If there gonna outlaw contact they might as well get rid of every track under 1.5 miles

I believe it was no bump drafting in the turns only.

Really things are working pretty good since boys have at it went in effect. There hasnt been as much last lap bump and runs, the drivers are policing themselves pretty well.
I'm with you. One of the things Nascar does best IMO is not interfering with the drivers. Other forms of racing, race control is penalizing drivers for blocking, and rough driving so not only is it annoying to watch, they frequently make the wrong call when the replay is played back. Nascar lets them alone for the most part unless it is really over the top and then most of the time it is after the race is over they go to the trailer and deal with it.

I'm with you. One of the things Nascar does best IMO is no
t interfering with the drivers. Other forms of racing, race control is penalizing drivers for blocking, and rough driving so not only is it annoying to watch, they frequently make the wrong call when the replay is played back. Nascar lets them alone for the most part unless it is really over the top and then most of the time it is after the race is over they go to the trailer and deal with it.

I agree Nacsar need to be as hands off as possible. The drivers code is real but highly subjective, let them manage their business.

It's so situational and subjective. And justified to one person is cowardly to another.

Back
Top Bottom