The Coolest Trick at Bristol yesterday

sdj

Just a race fan
When the pit guy caught the tire in mid air that had been knocked out of his hands as he went to the right side of the car.

Car hit tire in left hand, it shot to the pit wall, hit pit wall and bounced up and back toward track.
The pit guy set the other tire down turned and ran back to catch the other tire in mid air and then carry it to the right rear to install. :eek::D Talk about focus, WOW!

I am guessing somebody here knows how to glean the video off of You Tube with this in it.

That was due to him almost being run over due to the configuration of the pits and pit road at Bristol. The tire was struck by another race car trying to get into its pit box.

That was due to him almost being run over due to the configuration of the pits and pit road at Bristol. The tire was struck by another race car trying to get into its pit box.

I know all this, the WOW factor of the ability to do what he did after the fact is what is pretty cool to me. His focus was amazing, he did not miss a step.

I just don't agree with one less guy on the stop, it isn't making it safer, penalties for tires are going thru the roof. Some cost cutting ideas don't work that great.

Agreed. I'm fine with the concept of reducing the number of crew members at the track, but I don't think an over the wall guy was the place to do it. There's a REASON they used SEVEN guys for all those years. There's THAT MUCH work to be done. They have just about turned a chassis adjustment into a stop and hold penalty.

I think they should add up the pay for the current pit crew, add one person and divide the pay among them. :biggrin::cheers:

With the tire guns, they should have taken the design of one of the top teams, and made that the standard. They would have a better gun that everybody would be comfortable with.

With the tire guns, they should have taken the design of one of the top teams, and made that the standard. They would have a better gun that everybody would be comfortable with.
Who says they haven't copied the gun or parts of it. It isn't finished yet, there is supposed to be data that can tell the crew if a lug nut got tight or not. I look at how many loose tires they had before they had the gun. I'm not seeing much if any difference. The reduced pit crew came into the series as the same times as the guns also, I don't believe the tires are getting slammed on the hub as fast as before either.

The people running them have to learn.
That's what I have understood --- the changers are so used to the higher speed guns they have to learn to leave
the gun on the lug a bit longer. They trained their muscles to a certain length of time on each, now they have to re-train that
learned behavior.

How many during the race?
I dont know but follow the logic, if they are tight at the end why not the middle? They KNOW they better be tight at the end or the CC is getting fined. They can be tight every stop but when you try to beat someone out whos trying to beat you out sometimes you screw up.

I dont know but follow the logic, if they are tight at the end why not the middle? They KNOW they better be tight at the end or the CC is getting fined. They can be tight every stop but when you try to beat someone out whos trying to beat you out sometimes you screw up.
The guns are obviously an issue and connected to the one less crewman, I personally don't think either rule should of been changed.

The guns are obviously an issue and connected to the one less crewman, I personally don't think either rule should of been changed.
Hell we used to have 8, but anyway they all play on the same field so let them figure it out

Who says they haven't copied the gun or parts of it. It isn't finished yet, there is supposed to be data that can tell the crew if a lug nut got tight or not. I look at how many loose tires they had before they had the gun. I'm not seeing much if any difference. The reduced pit crew came into the series as the same times as the guns also, I don't believe the tires are getting slammed on the hub as fast as before either.

I think that they pull that data from pressure fluctuations in the line .... I might be wrong

Back
Top Bottom