The Daytona 500 (Pre-Race)

Well it ain't the 500 but the track just randomly emailed me a 20% discount code to use on the road course race so I jumped on that! They really never do such things. Went to it last year and really enjoyed it. The winner was ok too.

Decided to skip the clash and likely the rest of the speedweeks events this year.

I was thinking the same thing today. 15+ years ago half of the people with whom I acquainted myself were either into NASCAR or the 500 at the very least. Half of the people into either of those would throw (Daytona) 500 parties and place cash bets on their predicted winner/highest finisher and throw the name into a hat. Everyone looked forward to those types of parties every February but they seemingly ceased to exist overnight around 2005.

My hardcore racing friends and I would also watch every possible second of Speedweeks that was televised...2+ weeks of almost daily coverage that never failed to entertain. Now it is basically just down to the duels, clash, and the 4 races if you include ARCA. The hype leading up to the 500 is just no longer there and it is 100% the fault of NASCAR
Change is a certainty. I might even be faat forwarding through the Super Bowl commercials this year.

I think I agree with you on the coverage part, seems like every Speedweek practice or event was televised on Speed or Fox. But that might be my own fault due to becoming a working adult and not having much time to watch anymore except on a Xfinity series Saturday or Sunday race day. I will disagree in that to me, Daytona 500 Sunday is one of my five most favorite days on the calendar, just something special about it. I guess I am a sucker for the history, prestige, pageantry and tradition of the race.

I look at it this way, if I'm not getting excited about the Daytona 500 1st race of the year, what will I get excited about that's nascar?

I look at it this way, if I'm not getting excited about the Daytona 500 1st race of the year, what will I get excited about that's nascar?
It is the same one with the usual whine every year. Poor dude is always sad. Hell I can't wait, so many stories over the off season, new teams everywhere, drivers moving here and there, new ones coming up to try their hand at the big leagues.

1612472711841.png

Hell I can't wait, so many stories over the off season, new teams everywhere, drivers moving here and there, new ones coming up to try their hand at the big leagues.

That's a big part of why I get excited to watch, seeing all the new cars and different driver's, different sponsor's. Beyond that the energy atmosphere, driver's are nervous fan's are nervous, it means a lot to them to win this one.

I am so pumped for the start of racing! Wish we were going again but we’re not keen on wearing masks all the time we’re in the grandstands, so watching from home. Great race and track. I’ve seen it from up in the stands and from a suite on the start finish line. Probably better viewed on TV, but the pack racing at that speed is unreal in person.

It is the same one with the usual whine every year. Poor dude is always sad. Hell I can't wait, so many stories over the off season, new teams everywhere, drivers moving here and there, new ones coming up to try their hand at the big leagues.

This. I love what it was. I love what it has become. And I am damn sure that I will love what it will be. I am jacked. Let's go!

I’m so excited for next Sunday I’ve watched in the last two weeks the 97 Busch clash, 97 Twin 125’s, 97 Daytona 500, 98 Daytona 500 and just started the 98 Pepsi 400. I’m gonna do the 88,89 and 94 editions of the 500 before next Sunday. I legit feel bad for anyone not excited about this year’s 500, it will feel a bit different but also at the same it’s just so normal that the race is next week. Another season kicks off!

I’m so excited for next Sunday I’ve watched in the last two weeks the 97 Busch clash, 97 Twin 125’s, 97 Daytona 500, 98 Daytona 500 and just started the 98 Pepsi 400. I’m gonna do the 88,89 and 94 editions of the 500 before next Sunday. I legit feel bad for anyone not excited about this year’s 500, it will feel a bit different but also at the same it’s just so normal that the race is next week. Another season kicks off!
Don't get me wrong, I'm REALLY excited but my excitement has gradually dwindled every year since around 2005. It no longer seems like the Super Bowl of racing but more like opening day of the MLB season...still cool but not that cool.

Stenhouse couldn't carry Danicas jock strap. That's why she dumped him..
Now that I think about it, Rodgers couldn't carry her jock strap either...
She's the crazy type who wants to get married within a few months of meeting someone. If they can't commit within her time frame, they're not good enough. I do believe this is easily a 90% Danica problem

Stenhouse couldn't carry Danicas jock strap. That's why she dumped him..
Now that I think about it, Rodgers couldn't carry her jock strap either...
Political correctness aside, I don't know how comfortable I'd be dating a woman that owned a jock strap. One that actually needed to wear it? Yeah, sorry 'Dude', but that's a deal breaker.

Derrike has the right mentality, damn what social media says:

I personally am not a fan of him being locked in, but that's how it is now. Best of luck to him during the 500 though.

He’s right. Most social media is awful and is filled to the rim with toxic humans. Less is more and people need to get away from screens.

Derrike has the right mentality, damn what social media says:

I personally am not a fan of him being locked in, but that's how it is now. Best of luck to him during the 500 though.

I agree.
I think with the advent of the Gen 7 NASCAR should look into expanding the field or taking away about 4 charters. I'm not a fan of the cars being so similar but it opens the door for a "low buck" team to have brand new or at least relevant equipment for a "one and done" type deal.
That could produce a lot of Chocolate Myers drama.

I think for awhile if any, the next gen car performance is going to be in the drivers hands, but soon, just like with the latest changes/packages the big money dogs will come to the front of the pack and the car will be the star. The car will be cheaper to build, but the in shop development I doubt will change that much when it comes to working to make the car faster.

I agree.
I think with the advent of the Gen 7 NASCAR should look into expanding the field or taking away about 4 charters.
How would they go about taking away any charters?

How would they go about taking away any charters?
Well.......... It's NASCAR...........Change is a constant.
And they already have a mechanism in place to rescind a charter.
But if it ever were to happen then the short answer would be $$$$$.

Well.......... It's NASCAR...........Change is a constant.
And they already have a mechanism in place to rescind a charter.
But if it ever were to happen then the short answer would be $$$$$.
That mechanism results in the creation of a replacement charter or charters available for sale from the RTA. Neither can NASCAR create charters to exceed a total of 36.

The short answer works if NASCAR ever decides to spend +/- 12 million dollars to shorten their fields by 4 cars.

That mechanism results in the creation of a replacement charter or charters available for sale from the RTA. Neither can NASCAR create charters to exceed a total of 36.

The short answer works if NASCAR ever decides to spend +/- 12 million dollars to shorten their fields by 4 cars.
The longer answer is that we will see some revisions to the charter system.
There are several ideas at play and opinions from a multitude of actual players in the game.
To say that there cannot be more or cannot be less than 36 charters at some point in the future is simply not true.

I agree.
I think with the advent of the Gen 7 NASCAR should look into expanding the field or taking away about 4 charters. I'm not a fan of the cars being so similar but it opens the door for a "low buck" team to have brand new or at least relevant equipment for a "one and done" type deal.
That could produce a lot of Chocolate Myers drama.
I am all for taking away 36 charters.

The longer answer is that we will see some revisions to the charter system.
There are several ideas at play and opinions from a multitude of actual players in the game.
To say that there cannot be more or cannot be less than 36 charters at some point in the future is simply not true.
Think of charters as franchises by any other name.

The RTA runs the charter system. If you want to play, you have to pay.

I went back and watched the 2011 500. At the time of tandem drafting, I really disliked it. Taking another look at it though it was really entertaining and it actually allowed drivers to make more moves than just being stuck in a pack. There should be some effort to bring elements of that style back.

I went back and watched the 2011 500. At the time of tandem drafting, I really disliked it. Taking another look at it though it was really entertaining and it actually allowed drivers to make more moves than just being stuck in a pack. There should be some effort to bring elements of that style back.
Everyone bitches because of change and the bitching caused more bad changes.
I loved the tandem drafting because once again it showed the drivers skills.

Everyone bitches because of change and the bitching caused more bad changes.
I loved the tandem drafting because once again it showed the drivers skills.
And added an extra element of danger but in a good way, and I feel a lot of NASCAR's decline has been due to that danger element being minimized.

I started watching the 1988 Daytona 500 yesterday, the first one with plates. I’m gonna try to finish it later today.

I preferred it because it spread the cars out some.

Back
Top Bottom