The Gateway Dirt Nationals

Still wish they midgets were part of it (and I get why they aren't) but it's usually fun anyway

Well here's one way to practice for the Dome, take the super late to the micro sprint track. BShep at Millbridge

Gateway Dirt Nationals is a really cool event but they never seem to get the track right whenever I’ve watched, I don’t know maybe it’s just the dome parameters.

Earlier today, I thought about how I could easily be at the Dome. Boss is on leave having had surgery, the program manager is on the beach in Mexico, and I'm here just twiddling thumbs and hating Excel. Then I started watching. Hudson O'Neal being out of the event already because he backed into the wall at an awkward angle and obliterated the rear clip felt like an omen and every race I've seen tonight reinforced it.

Earlier today, I thought about how I could easily be at the Dome. Boss is on leave having had surgery, the program manager is on the beach in Mexico, and I'm here just twiddling thumbs and hating Excel. Then I started watching. Hudson O'Neal being out of the event already because he backed into the wall at an awkward angle and obliterated the rear clip felt like an omen and every race I've seen tonight reinforced it.
Yeah this hasn't been a great show so far

Gateway Dirt Nationals is a really cool event but they never seem to get the track right whenever I’ve watched, I don’t know maybe it’s just the dome parameters.
They are restricted to using same dirt for Monster Trucks & everything. They've purposely left it dryer this year to try to keep it from getting so choppy. Theoretically it will get better every night.

They are restricted to using same dirt for Monster Trucks & everything. They've purposely left it dryer this year to try to keep it from getting so choppy. Theoretically it will get better every night.

Looks a little too much like Monster Jam for the Gateway Nationals @ The Dome from what I watched.

Rumble at Fort Wayne looks more cool to me.

Looks a little too much like Monster Jam for the Gateway Nationals @ The Dome from what I watched.

Rumble at Fort Wayne looks more cool to me.
They're very different events: I can at least speak authoritatively about the Rumble having been. It's really more of a karting event than a midget race but the midgets are indeed there. Meanwhile the 17th pileup of the night happened at the Dome.

Theoretically it will get better every night.
StatlerandWaldorf(2).JPG

"Could it get any worse?"

They're very different events: I can at least speak authoritatively about the Rumble having been. It's really more of a karting event than a midget race but the midgets are indeed there. Meanwhile the 17th pileup of the night happened at the Dome.

Dirt late models and modifieds just don’t work in that dome. It’s a nice try for some gimmicks, theatre, & occasional racing during the American off-season.

Man that modified announcer makes me wanna pull my hair out.

Every been to any of the Indoor Auto Racing Championship races in Atlantic City or Allentown? Those cab put on some good tq midget action.

Every been to any of the Indoor Auto Racing Championship races in Atlantic City or Allentown? Those cab put on some good tq midget action.
Nah, though now that I gamble a lot as a hobby going to Atlantic City has changed a lot as far as appeal. LOL. I'd love to go to Boardwalk Hall in general because of all the history involved. I actually looked at the drive distance to Duquoin as recently as today: I just refuse to believe it's 7 hours since I swear Springfield was "only" 5 1/2. Alas, I'll be watching the Junior Knepper on Dirtvision.

Nah, though now that I gamble a lot as a hobby going to Atlantic City has changed a lot as far as appeal. LOL. I'd love to go to Boardwalk Hall in general because of all the history involved. I actually looked at the drive distance to Duquoin as recently as today: I just refuse to believe it's 7 hours since I swear Springfield was "only" 5 1/2. Alas, I'll be watching the Junior Knepper on Dirtvision.
Fun wild little races, but always exciting.

I wish they’d bring back Arena Racing USA at the Richmond Coliseum & Hampton Coliseum.

I wish they’d bring back Arena Racing USA at the Richmond Coliseum & Hampton Coliseum.
Not all that long ago around here there was a fairly healthy indoor racing scene in the winter, though it tended to be headlined by those weird mini stock car things. I remember watching video on YouTube of races from Perani Arena in Flint and the Deltaplex in Grand Rapids. Didn't have a strong appeal to me so I didn't go: now it's not a thing anymore and that's kinda sad.

Dirt late models and modifieds just don’t work in that dome. It’s a nice try for some gimmicks, theatre, & occasional racing during the American off-season.
Agreed. I thought it was fun the first year or two. I want to see race cars goes fast.

Not all that long ago around here there was a fairly healthy indoor racing scene in the winter, though it tended to be headlined by those weird mini stock car things. I remember watching video on YouTube of races from Perani Arena in Flint and the Deltaplex in Grand Rapids. Didn't have a strong appeal to me so I didn't go: now it's not a thing anymore and that's kinda sad.

Mini Cups are weird but not that weird, many local short tracks put on a decent show I thought with them.

I think they just pull some of these late model "drivers" out of the crowd. They drive the track like it's a half mile lol.

I think they just pull some of these late model "drivers" out of the crowd. They drive the track like it's a half mile lol.
Everyone is hero when motors don't matter.

We all gave up on this, didn't we? Well, RTJ didn't win both features which I would have found redeeming. I watched the late model feature's second half last night and I've seen worse races I suppose (though skipping half of it may have helped).

Back
Top Bottom