The news we were all dreading...

Good article and interview........ I always liked Matt.......(well.... I lost a lot of respect for him after what he pulled with Joey).. but he mentioned leaving Jack was really easy and he was happy to drive for pious Joe...... Matt wanted to leave on his own terms but..... evidently pious Joe that he was so happy to drive for....... kicked him out the door in a heartbeat..... never a goodbye.... kiss my a@@ .... or a going away party....... Seems to me Jack and Mark were the ones who gave him and Robbie Reiser their chance..... had it not been for that...... they would have both been still struggling...... Matt is making the best decision to just fade away and enjoy his millions...... had he been smart.... he would have taken a clue from Edwards and walked away on his own terms..... No team is going to pay him what he thinks he is worth...... Edwards saw the handwriting on the wall........ Pious Joe will cut you off and leave you hanging in a minute if he thinks there is some young gun waiting in the wings that will perform for less money.....

Kyle and Denny better be watching their backside in a few years....... Denny especially....... long in the tooth and demanding big money doesn't set too well with Joe.......

Last edited:
With most of the star power almost out of NASCAR I expect to see grandstands about as half-full as they were this year and unless they can make the transition to short tracks and road courses it's going to be tough for sponsor retention. Chase Elliott seems to be the young only driver that can actually accrue any type of formidable fanbase.

It's always a little different when you leave on your own terms.... i.e. Carl Edwards...... and when you are basically fired and told you are not needed anymore.

12309C1F-2832-4FC4-8EE7-51DDB01F0F07.jpeg

So much for JGR being that strong family type organization. The man is championship competitive & got pushed out by unproven talent. I was hoping JGR would lend a hand in keeping the #77 around either for Matt or younger talent.

Such a fun place.

We complain that teams spend too much. We’re lectured on the deathbed economic realities of NASCAR and told that driver salaries are coming down big time. There’s no way around it.

The end of a contract’s term does not demand extension. Gibbs and Hendrick both went youth movement at less cost.

Family values? Really, ladies?

I would have been suprised if he found a new ride. I saw that coming since he announced he wouldn't return to JGR.
btw.: Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Dale Jr. and Matt Kenseth have now retired. Morgan Shepherd is still racing.
and Tony Stewart. They are dropping like flies.

View attachment 30134

So much for JGR being that strong family type organization. The man is championship competitive & got pushed out by unproven talent. I was hoping JGR would lend a hand in keeping the #77 around either for Matt or younger talent.

Jones won a truck championship ...... that probably told somebody up in there that he knows a little bit about driving.

Such a fun place.

We complain that teams spend too much. We’re lectured on the deathbed economic realities of NASCAR and told that driver salaries are coming down big time. There’s no way around it.

The end of a contract’s term does not demand extension. Gibbs and Hendrick both went youth movement at less cost.

Not disagreeing, BUT, you would like to think that a driver of Matt's stature would get a little better treatment. There are ways to ease somebody out the door in a more magnanimous fashion befitting a champion driver who is still contending for championships.

Crazy that both Kenseth and Dale Jr. broke into Cup as rookies in 2000.

Now leaving the same year as well in 2017. Although under different circumstances.

Shame to see Matt go. He’s still competitive. 1st ballot HOF without question. One of the last remaining ties to the old Winston Cup days.

Good for Matt. Nothing like calling your own shots. Can't say I will miss him cause
he was not on my favorites list but I enjoyed watching him drive. I am on the side
of "glad he evened up against Joey".

Gibbs and Hendrick both went youth movement at less cost.
This is just an ignorant comparison.

Hendrick’s youth movement developed by Gordon and Jr announcing retirement and going out on their own terms. Kasey was not performing and thats just a business move.

JGR is starting to push for a youth movement while pushing out a championship competitive driver. Denny has said himself that he is looking over his own shoulder, and he is also a championship competitive driver.

A toxic atmosphere develops when there is supposed to be a “team” but drivers become replacement paranoid for nothing other than their age.

and Tony Stewart. They are dropping like flies.

Pretty much all the big names from my childhood are gone. Obvious guys like Martin, Rudd, Rusty and Terry Labonte have been gone a while.

But in just the last 4 years, we’ve lost Gordon, Stewart, Kenseth, Edwards, Dale Jr, Biffle, Burton and Bobby Labonte.

The youth movement is here. The times have changed. The only guys left in the series who turned a lap in the Winston Cup series are Jimmie, Kurt, Ryan Newman and McMurray..

Hendrick’s youth movement developed by Gordon and Jr announcing retirement and going out on their own terms. Kasey was not performing and thats just a business move.

JGR is starting to push for a youth movement while pushing out a championship competitive driver. Denny has said himself that he is looking over his own shoulder, and he is also a championship competitive driver.

A toxic atmosphere develops when there is supposed to be a “team” but drivers become replacement paranoid for nothing other than their age.
Do you have an employment contract? If you do, I doubt that it permits you to leave on your own terms.

Kenseth’s contract came to an and and in your insulated, T-ball world he’s being pushed out. As the economics contract, business will be placed before Oprah every time.

Such a fun place.

As much as Pious Joe goes on about family values and how religious he is and holding prayer meetings and all that..... when the bottom line is drawn..... he's just like the rest....... he's a greedy Bas@@rd that is driven by money..... making money by putting on a front........ no different than a Joel Osteen........

Pretty much all the big names from my childhood are gone. Obvious guys like Martin, Rudd, Rusty and Terry Labonte have been gone a while.

But in just the last 4 years, we’ve lost Gordon, Stewart, Kenseth, Edwards, Dale Jr, Biffle, Burton and Bobby Labonte.

The youth movement is here. The times have changed. The only guys left in the series who turned a lap in the Winston Cup series are Jimmie, Kurt, Ryan Newman and McMurray..

It makes me feel obsolete seeing the veterans get replaced by the young guns... and all at once it seems!

Do you have an employment contract? If you do, I doubt that it permits you to leave on your own terms.

As the economics contract, business will be placed before Oprah every time.
More ignorant comparisons.

You cannot really believe that blue collar employment contracts in middle class america are treated with the same mentality as multi million dollar contracts with celebrity public figures.

And Harvick, Cope and Mark Thompson.
Most drivers are retiring in their mid-40s. There aren't many professional motorsports series where everybody remains active that long.

As much as Pious Joe goes on about family values and how religious he is and holding prayer meetings and all that..... when the bottom line is drawn..... he's just like the rest....... he's a greedy Bas@@rd that is driven by money..... making money by putting on a front........ no different than a Joel Osteen........
I’m not defending Gibbs or anybody else.

I’m a realist. Oprah doesn’t play into that.

I've never considered them a team. KDB and Hamlin are incapable. When Edwards and Kenseth were there, they were teamates. But I think they like just about everybody else on the outside saw right thru the preacher. He has been talking out of both sides of his mouth for a long time.

I’m not defending Gibbs or anybody else.

I’m a realist. Oprah doesn’t play into that.
I was responding to the family values sentence........ there are no ''family'' values in racing...... never have been..... Joe Gibbs tried to interject that to get a sympathy vote from the fans.....

Back
Top Bottom