The RFL 2020 thread (Racing Fantasy League)

Greg

2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader
Preface: Please read the participation requirements in this post before registering your team

"Welcome to the 2020 edition of the "Racing Forums Fantasy League". The RFFL league structure goes back to the previous Yahoo Fantasy League, and those records and accomplishments are still considered from a historical perspective and as a legacy.
This game requires skill and a strategy. Winning a championship in this league is no small accomplishment. You will need to put together a complete season to win this one.

Participation requirements Team names will be required to match the racing forums member ID name. I hope we have a record number of teams, but we want all teams to be owned and operated by an actual Racing Forums member.
Exceptions hopefully there will be no need, but if it is impossible to use your RF member name as your team name please send me a PM. Exceptions will only be granted if it is truly impossible or if the case is very compelling.
The last thing I want to do is drive away participation. I would sign on every RF memeber for the league if possible and I will be thrilled to have as many entrants as possible.

Note if you have a team nickname that is very important to you, you can still add that to your team name (up to 20 characters). Just be sure that the first word for your team name matches your RF member name.

For example if I wanted to name my team : "Greg is the best" I could because the opening word is also my RF member name.
If I wanted to name my team: "The bestest ever" it would not be accepted because it does not start with my RF member name.
(FTR I am just going with Greg for my team name)
If Whizzer wants to call his team: "Whizzers Weiners" that is also acceptable because the first word also contains his RF member name.

More to come including official sign on instructions within the hour.
Good luck to all

If you played last season you are already registed for this year's upcoming season. Just log on to the DGG website using the same method.

The follow is s paste with a few RFL specific edits.

Welcome to the "Driver Group Game" where you manage your own fantasy team of NASCAR Cup Series drivers.

Each race week, before qualifying begins, you select an eight-driver team from among three groups of eligible drivers. Then, before the race, you will decide which four 'Starter' drivers will race for your team. So, the challenge is not only to pick the best team race in and race out, but also to manage your team in a way that produces the highest possible fantasy score.

Official DRIVER GROUP GAME League
If you want to have a team that competes against a large group of players be sure to join the DGG League.

We will be using the DGG default rules for the RFL 2020 league.

Default Rules - DGG LEAGUE

Length of Season

Driver Group Game is a weekly game that runs the full 36 race 2020 NASCAR Cup Series season. It begins with race #1, the Daytona 500 on Sunday, February 16, 2020 and concludes after race #36 on Sunday, November 8, 2020 at ISM Raceway.

Non-points races ('The Clash' at Daytona and the 'All-Star Race' at Charlotte Motor Speedway) are not included in the game. Take these races off and enjoy the action!

Spring, Summer and Playoff Segments

In addition, the full-season will be divided into three segments.

Spring: Begins with race #1, the Daytona 500 (February 16, 2020) at Daytona International Speedway and ends with race #13, the Coca-Cola 600 (May 24th, 2020) at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Summer: Begins with race #14 on May 31st, 2020 at Kansas Speedway and ends with race #26 on August 29, 2020 at Daytona International Speedway.

Playoffs: Begins with race #27 on September 6th, 2020 at Darlington Speedway and ends with race#36 on Sunday, November 8, 2020 at ISM Raceway.

Joining the Game

The Driver Group Game is free to play.

You can join the game anytime from when the game opens for entries until the final deadline for the last race of the 2020 NASCAR race season. The game is comprised of weekly contests that begin on Monday and conclude on Sunday, unless Monday racing is required to decide a real-life race winner.

Join as many leagues as you like! There is no need to create additional registrations on the site because each league you play in has an entry for you unique to that league.

Our RFL sign up instructions will be posted soon

Weekly Team Carry Ove

Your weekly team entry does carry over from race-to-race. If you're going to play the game to win, it makes sense to set the optimum line-up each race. But, even the most diligent player could have some real life event that causes them to miss setting their team. As such, your line-up from the previous week will advance forward to the current race. If, however, a driver on the 'carry over' team is out of eligible usage because their starts have reached 0, you will no longer receive any points for them.

Selecting Drivers for Your Team Entry

Available drivers are broken into three driver groups. A, B and C. Placement of drivers in these three groups is determined prior to the season based on their level of past or predicted future performance. Once in the A, B or C driver group a driver will not be moved to another group at any time during the season. However, we may add additional drivers to a group at any point during the season.

Select drivers on your entry page to choose your team entry for each race week. You must choose an eight-driver team that includes two drivers from the A Group, four from the B Group, and two from the C Group.

The 'Bench' spots are important because each team will accumulate points for drivers who qualify in the five best starting positions after qualifying, regardless of whether they are in the 'Starter' or 'Bench' position.

When you have finished setting your team lineup click the Save Team button to save your entry.

Substitute Drivers

If a driver on your roster gets replaced/substituted with another driver (due to sickness or any circumstance) during the race weekend you can still use that new driver in the 'Starter' or 'Bench' position and earn the points from the replacement driver. The original driver will still be charged with a start if in the 'Starter' position. The number of races each driver has started for you will be listed along with all of his other stats.

Maximum Starts

Each driver in the Driver Group Game can be in the 'Starter' position of your team in no more than eight races. For the purposes of this game, a driver must be in the 'Starter' position for a race (not only during qualifying) in order to be charged with a race start. Likewise, a driver who is on your team but stays in the 'Bench' position during the race does not get charged for a race start.

Once a driver has reached the eight-race limit, he will no longer accumulate any fantasy points for your team even if he occupies a 'Starter' or 'Bench' roster spot. This limit does not change no matter when you join the game.

Your driver's start totals will not reset at the segment divisions of the season. If you start your driver eight times during the first segment of the season, he will not be eligible to earn ANY fantasy points (qualifying, finish or lap points) for the remainder of the season.

Deadlines

The deadline for picking new drivers for the upcoming race is 8:00 AM Eastern on the friday of the race weekend. (7:00 AM Central / 6:00 AM Mountain / 5:00 AM Pacific) It is noted as 'PARTIAL LOCK' on your 'Dashboard' and 'Entry' pages.

The deadline to change the status of a driver on your team from 'Bench' to 'Starter' is at the scheduled start of the race. Scheduled start is listed on your entry form. Please note that the scheduled race time will likely differ from the actual start time of the race. Rosters are locked based on the start time displayed on your 'Dashboard' and 'My Entry' pages for that race. It is noted as 'FULL LOCK'.

In the event that NASCAR changes the start time of the race to an earlier time than we have published, the deadline to change the status of a driver on your team from 'Bench' to 'Starter' will also change accordingly.

In the event that NASCAR changes the start time of the race to a later time (or day) than we have published, the deadline to change the status of a driver on your team from 'Bench' to 'Starter' will not change. Entries will not be opened back up after they have locked.

2020 Driver Groups

The drivers for the A, B and C Groups are divided up as follows:

A DRIVER GROUP

Brad Keselowski
Chase Elliott
Denny Hamlin
Joey Logano
Kevin Harvick
Kyle Busch
Martin Truex Jr

B DRIVER GROUP

Alex Bowman
Aric Almirola
Austin Dillon
Chris Buescher
Clint Bowyer
Erik Jones
Jimmie Johnson
Kurt Busch
Kyle Larson
Matt DiBenedetto
Ricky Stenhouse Jr
Ryan Blaney
Ryan Newman
William Byron

C DRIVER GROUP

Bayley Currey
BJ McLeod
Brendan Gaughan
Brennan Poole
Christopher Bell
Cody Ware
Cole Custer
Corey Lajoie
Daniel Suarez
Darrell Wallace Jr
David Ragan
Garrett Smithley
JJ Yeley
Joey Gase
John Hunter Nemechek
Justin Haley
Landon Cassill
Michael McDowell
Parker Kligerman
Paul Menard
Quin Houff
Reed Sorenson
Ross Chastain
Ryan Preece
Timmy Hill
Ty Dillon
Tyler Reddick

Scoring (Qualifying)

'Starter' and 'Bench' drivers are eligible to earn qualifying bonus points. Because qualifying for the Daytona 500 is broken up over two days, qualifying points will not be awarded for the Daytona 500. In the event that qualifying is cancelled whereby the race line-up is set by points, there will be no qualifying bonus points awarded.

Pole = 10 points
2nd = 5 points
3rd = 3 points
4th = 2 points
5th = 1 point

Scoring (Laps Led and Most Laps Led)

Only 'Starter' drivers are eligible to earn lap bonus points.
Most Laps Led = 5 points
Lead a Lap = 5 points
Scoring (Stage Position)

Only 'Starter' drivers are eligible to earn stage position points. Our stages match NASCAR stages. Historically, there are two stages at all races except the Charlotte 600 which has three. To clarify, 'stages' does not include the final stage of the race which results in the checkered flag. Rather, 'stages' are the segments of the race that NASCAR refers to as 'stages' and end with a yellow flag.

1st = 5 points
2nd = 4 points
3rd = 3 points
4th = 2 points
5th = 1 point

Scoring (Finish position)

Only 'Starter' drivers are eligible to earn finish position points.
Winner = 100 points
2nd = 90 points
3rd = 88 points (-2 points for every finish thereafter)
If a race is officially canceled, no fantasy team will receive any points for that race. All other scoring rules stay the same. If qualifying or a race is delayed or postponed, no points will be awarded until it is completed. If qualifying is canceled and the starting grid is determined by other means, no qualifying bonus points will be awarded.

Standings
All applicable driver statistics are updated following qualifying and after each race. All weekly fantasy point totals, group standings, and leaderboards will be updated as soon as data is available after the race and we've had time to process the scoring.

Signing on was bumpy last year and several helped us navigate through this...

@pjmolo wrore a good set of instructions for signing up last year. I am posting it in italics below without the quote feature.
Note: I am not updating the league name or the league password, so the following instructions should work.

pjmolo wrote:
"For those looking to join the game, here's complete step-by-step instructions.

Go to: https://drivergroupgame.com/ and then click on the green "Sign Up" icon in the lower right corner.

Fill in all of the blanks (you must scroll down) making sure that your game's "username" is the same as your racing-forums.com member ID name.

Also, be sure to make note of your e-mail address and password for future login purposes.

Confirm that you're not a robot, click on the "Sign Up" icon again and you'll be directed to the login page.

After logging in, you'll be directed to your game's dashboard where you'll find that you're automatically entered into the DGG (Driver Group Game) League.

To join The RFFL 2019 league click on the "Join League" icon on the left side. It'll take you to League Directory page.

Under "Select League Type" check on "Private Leagues" and then enter The RFFL 2019 in the search box.

Click on the green "Join" icon and on the next page enter the League Password: RFFL2018

Voila, you're in.

I believe that the sign up procedure has discouraged more from participating.
I do hope that many will sign on and I really will not be satisfied until we get back to old defunct Yahoo league participation levels of about 40 teams that remain active all season.

As a disclaimer I want to say that I have no financial interest in the league hosting Driver Group Game website.
But I do believe the fantasy league they they provide is excellent. This is my third year with the DGG webpage as the league host. They will not spam you or try to sell anything to you as a prerequisite for joining.

I do not have the commissioner skills that @pjmolo or @Charlie Spencer have or the professionalism. Thankfully for this league the webpage does all the work and I just post the results.

Again please join us if you like the Racing Fantasy games I think you will like this one too.
If you have concerns or difficulty about signing on I will work with you and assist through PM as well.

I always want to thank @dpkimmel2001 for getting the old defunct Yahoo fantasy league going here.
This league is meant to carry on the Racing Forums legacy for that league.

I know @dpkimmel2001 currently has to much going on to run this league now, but I do miss the professionalism you had as the commissioner.

But greg, we have your ever present humbleness now. Mr 2014 champ. ;)

But greg, we have your ever present humbleness now. Mr 2014 champ. ;)
2019 champ as well.
2018 Pick the winner of the most races contest.
2012 Chase playoff champion as well.
I am not sure the avatar quote has enough space for all my wonderfullness.

Seriously being a commissioner is humbling compared to the performance of those that do the other leagues.
I just wanted to see RF keep this fantasy league going based on the strong previous history with the yahoo league.

2019 champ as well.
2018 Pick the winner of the most races contest.
2012 Chase playoff champion as well.
I am not sure the avatar quote has enough space for all my wonderfullness.

Seriously being a commissioner is humbling compared to the performance of those that do the other leagues.
I just wanted to see RF keep this fantasy league going based the strong previous history.

YES!!! I loves my time in the old yahoo league. I played a year or two before yahoo pulled the plug.
Thanks for your dedication.

"For those looking to join the game, here's complete step-by-step instructions.

Go to: https://drivergroupgame.com/ and then click on the green "Sign Up" icon in the lower right corner.

Fill in all of the blanks (you must scroll down) making sure that your game's "username" is the same as your racing-forums.com member ID name.

Also, be sure to make note of your e-mail address and password for future login purposes.

Confirm that you're not a robot, click on the "Sign Up" icon again and you'll be directed to the login page.

After logging in, you'll be directed to your game's dashboard where you'll find that you're automatically entered into the DGG (Driver Group Game) League.

To join The RFFL 2019 league click on the "Join League" icon on the left side. It'll take you to League Directory page.

Under "Select League Type" check on "Private Leagues" and then enter The RFFL 2019 in the search box.

Click on the green "Join" icon and on the next page enter the League Password: RFFL2018

Voila, you're in.

To reiterate what @Greg said previously, the league name (The RFFL 2019) and password (RFFL2018) have not been changed.

My guess is that @Greg needs to get his eyes examined as for some reason he's unable to see 2020.

To reiterate what @Greg said previously, the league name (The RFFL 2019) and password (RFFL2018) have not been changed.

My guess is that @Greg needs to get his eyes examined as for some reason he's unable to see 2020.

Last years sign up process had to many problems so I decided to leave it all the same passwords etc...

You mean I can't spam Harvick every week? Awww.

You can but you'll run him out of gas on track. Other options would be to have him firmly displayed in your garage every week as a sign respect and admiration for all to see :D.

You can but you'll run him out of gas on track. Other options would be to have him firmly displayed in your garage every week as a sign respect and admiration for all to see :D.

I believe that the sign up procedure has discouraged more from participating.
I do hope that many will sign on and I really will not be satisfied until we get back to old defunct Yahoo league participation levels of about 40 teams that remain active all season.

As a disclaimer I want to say that I have no financial interest in the league hosting Driver Group Game website.
But I do believe the fantasy league they they provide is excellent. This is my third year with the DGG webpage as the league host. They will not spam you or try to sell anything to you as a prerequisite for joining.

I 2nd this about the website, I don't know where or how you guy's found this place after yahoo bailed on the game, but it's the closest thing I've seen (maybe even better) so thanks for that. The owner/creator has worked hard to make improvements, very nice guy through email.

When I signed up last year, I bookmarked the dashboard on the DGG website so it takes me straight to my teams, I found it quite simple and easy once I was in.

I 2nd this about the website, I don't know where or how you guy's found this place after yahoo bailed on the game, but it's the closest thing I've seen (maybe even better) so thanks for that. The owner/creator has worked hard to make improvements, very nice guy through email.

When I signed up last year, I bookmarked the dashboard on the DGG website so it takes me straight to my teams, I found it quite simple and easy once I was in.

Thanks for posting that and I agree.
I hope people will read it and be encouraged to join our league.

@Turtle84 had a great season last year and finished strong with a 2nd place overall.
Probably stonger than anyone else over the last third of the season if not longer.
With a years experience under his belt 2020 might be a championship seson for him.

@Turtle84 had a great season last year and finished strong with a 2nd place overall.
Probably stonger than anyone else over the last third of the season if not longer.
With a years experience under his belt 2020 might be a championship seson for him.

I'm Denny in turtle form when it comes to championships in this game

We currently have 25 teams signed up. I do not know how many are active.
I hope we will have at least 30 teams involved this year.

Lurkers: It is a great league, give it a try.

Note: Johali and The Teach are still listed. I dont plan on removing their names. They had so much enthusiam and we will and do miss them.
Screenshot_20200209-105801_Sheets.jpg

Last edited:
I will say that I'm taking a break from fantasy games this year. I'm highly competitive and I feel as if I judge a race based off of how good or bad my fantasy drivers do instead of how good or bad the race actually is. I think this year, I just want to focus on the racing and following William Byron throughout the season. I will be following the game though and I look forward to seeing how everyone does. Good luck to all!

I will say that I'm taking a break from fantasy games this year. I'm highly competitive and I feel as if I judge a race based off of how good or bad my fantasy drivers do instead of how good or bad the race actually is. I think this year, I just want to focus on the racing and following William Byron throughout the season. I will be following the game though and I look forward to seeing how everyone does. Good luck to all!
so that means the rest of us have a chance lol

This is tough fantasy league to win.
I could not have won the 2014 and 2019 championships without the inhouse R&D technical support provided by CooterJohnsonJuniorsIII and Dingleberry.

So I was stunned when Cooter started drawing up a plan to build a new facility to replace the current state of the art complex.
It is an ambitious project and I not sure such well intended standards are attainable

But Dingleberry still claims it will be completed using less than one roll of duct tape.

The incluluded image is from the former R&D center.
The 2020 architecture and tin foil roof design is still classified as proprietaries data.
CooterJohnsonsJrIII technical complex.jpg

This is tough fantasy league to win.
I could not have won the 2014 and 2019 championships without the inhouse R&D technical support provided by CooterJohnsonJuniorsIII and Dingleberry.

So I was stunned when Cooter started drawing up a plan to build a new facility to replace the current state of the art complex.
It is an ambitious project and I not sure such well intended standards are attainable

But Dingleberry still claims it will be completed using less than one roll of duct tape.

The incluluded image is from the former R&D center.
The 2020 architecture and tin foil roof design is still classified as proprietaries data.
View attachment 44886

Lame she shed Greg.

upload_2020-2-10_15-33-44.jpeg

If you are looking for an additional league this is a good one. You pick 8 drivers for your roster every week.
You will need to narrow them down to 4 starters before the race starts.
Screenshot_20200213-083340_Chrome.jpg

The goal is to pick the drivers that score the most points during their 8 best races of the year.
It is a tough game and league but it is not a hard one to understand.

I encourage everyone to join us and give it a try it is a free league. If you dont like it you can always drop out.
It is important to start with the Daytona race and it is almost impossibile to win a championship as a late starter.

If you want the ability to participate in a smaller league like this one, and another much larger league this is an ideal platform.

I use my same RFL picks to also play in the websites DGG league. I think about 15 000 teams compete in that league. You have to be incredible out of this world great to win in that league.
Being a top 100 is great performance there.

Back
Top Bottom