Thought for Today

Yesterdays are over my shoulder, and I can't look backwards too long.
There's too much to see, waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong
With changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes.

Jimmy Buffett

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
—Jack Handey

"It not that it takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round, it's just that there's all kinds of people".

Don't know exactly where that came from. I first heard it from a coworker who credited to his uncle.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So, throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

1661027735249.png

If people would spend as much time and effort finding practical solutions for their problems, as they do whining about them, they'd have a lot fewer problems to whine about...

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.
-Theodore Roosevelt

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Mahatma Gandhi​

I find this an interesting quote as it was only yesterday when I mentioned to my Bride I find myself learning more at the end of my life than at the beginning. Things that should have been learned in fourteen years of a formal education setting were wasted through inattentiveness are now learned and retained. I'm amazed at my hunger for knowledge at the age of 85 years and ten months. Soon I'll have completed third grade. 😁

Nothing is more expensive than a missed opportunity.
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.
-Jules Renard

"My soul is asleep and I cant wake it up (has no energy). I need some chocolate milk and candy to wake up"

- The words of a Foster child while staying in our home after he had already been given all the allowed junk food for that day.

Note: It didnt work for that event and he had to settle for some real food, but I had to laugh.

Ran across this in a book I'm reading ---
"Be glad of what you have got, and not miserable about what you would like to have had, and not
over-anxious about what the future will bring."
Robert Baden-Powell

My soul is asleep and I cant wake it up (has no energy). I need some chocolate milk and candy to wake up"
Make that coffee for me.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Thomas A. Edison

There are 3 or 4 in this song by Jason Isbell.

A musical interlude ...

The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go.

* Sir Winston Churchill

Back
Top Bottom