todays bonehead

Lighter is faster, they cut it too close. Expensive mistake.
Yep, probably like with how they give them 5 mph on pit road speed and teams take all of it, I bet the whole field builds the car as close as they feel like they can to that 0.5% tolerance.

I know it is a moot point, but I would like to know how far off they missed weight. A hunk of ballast I would think would be pretty far below weight, but a pound or two of something that fell off during the race?
I promise you that NASCAR went over the entire car looking for lost ballast and damage before they made the ruling. Did the caps on the frame rail come off? Doubtful but if so they would have seen that immediately. What I want to know is did NASCAR weigh the car pre practice and not pre race which isnt unheard of. So you move ballast during practice to help the car get what it needs as far as balance and someone makes a mistake which would be even more confusing because every change is documented and the scale percentages are logged. Its a head scratcher. But NASCAR has no choice but to DQ the car.

Don't you think we should find out WHY before we start pointing fingers? The story already going around is that something came off the car when Alex jumped the curb early in the race. Now if true, that doesn't necessarily mean that the 48 team doesn't bear some responsibility for it departing the car, but it sort of takes it out of the ridiculous and inexcusable realm in my opinion. Regardless, after the way the appeals board totally ignored Sam Mayer's bent frame clip at Talladega, I'm not holding out any hope for a reprieve for the 48 even if it is warranted.
Aged for perfection

Aged for perfection
Hey, now that we know some FACTS, it's fair to nominate the 48 team for Bonehead of the YEAR! They screwed up, no excuses. All I was saying was let the process play out a little farther to see if there was some extenuating circumstances. Now that it has, bash away.

Hey, now that we know some FACTS, it's fair to nominate the 48 team for Bonehead of the YEAR! They screwed up, no excuses. All I was saying was let the process play out a little farther to see if there was some extenuating circumstances. Now that it has, bash away.
I'm not gonna bash you dude, you didnt do it

I'm not gonna bash you dude, you didnt do it
No, I meant the team. The biggest irony of all this is that for long have people said Alex is the weak link and should be let go, and it turn out that the TEAM let HIM down, and one of the most critical points of the season. I know Alex will take the high road, but would NOT want to have that conversation with my driver.

No, I meant the team. The biggest irony of all this is that for long have people said Alex is the weak link and should be let go, and it turn out that the TEAM let HIM down, and one of the most critical points of the season. I know Alex will take the high road, but would NOT want to have that conversation with my driver.
Blake on the other hand has some explaining to do

What ever it was short of, it was enough to kick their ass out of the playoffs.
My NUMBER ONE pet peeve in racing and sports in general is the unforced error. hundreds of ways to lose that you cannot control, so you HAVE to take care of business with all the things you CAN control. This was a clusterf**K with monumental consequences. The only thing worse would be a mistake that gets somebody hurt.

I can't remember which podcast I was listening to earlier this week and they made the point that since teams know they get 17 pounds per race they do their best to take as much of that as they can. They mentioned that I believe last year teams were using heavier gases to air tires for prerace tech to make weight because nascar was allowing them to change tires after rolling them through tech. Eventually Nascar got smart to that one.

This is no different than pit road speed. They know they get 5 mph so they try to take 4.99 mph

Back
Top Bottom