Tony Stewart takes a swing at harassing person

Why is everybody instantly assuming this guy will be able to line his pockets at Tony's expense? I saw nothing there that would merit any sort of monetary judgement. It's not like he beat him with a bat or something.

Fines for misdemeanor assault are fixed.
Criminal charges aren't the question. It's the civil suits that run up the dollars.

Not that I think Tony's in anything he can't handle / afford. The 21st Century approach is to do a Kickstarter. I'd chip in.

Idiot got exactly what he wanted, he provoked him into coming after him. Long odds for anything good to come out of it, guy could be a psycho or looking to create a lawsuit.

It’s a different game when you’re famous, you just ignore them or do what Jack Nicklaus used to do with hecklers, say ‘F*** you very much!!’ but say it so it sounds like ‘tyvm’.

We probably have no way of knowing if the guy can get a petty lawsuit. I doubt it over a simple punch.
NDAs or non disclosure agreements or settlements probably make it impossibile to gauge real pay-off data.

Evolution is s very slow process.

10,000 years from now behaviours linked to a low, sloping forehead will still be around.

Tough deal either way. Nobody (but the damn BeeGees) should have to endure that kind of constant verbal abuse.
But it also seems like the more you have, the more liability as well.

Add Leo Sayer and Richard Simmons

Fines for misdemeanor assault are fixed.

Fines are imposed by the government. Damages are imposed in civil cases. Not saying the guy has one here, but if he can find a doctor that says he has "irreparable" damage and maybe some emotional distress to go with it, he might get something. I'd be more worried about an assault charge if I was Tony, given the video evidence.

Fines are imposed by the government. Damages are imposed in civil cases. Not saying the guy has one here, but if he can find a doctor that says he has "irreparable" damage and maybe some emotional distress to go with it, he might get something. I'd be more worried about an assault charge if I was Tony, given the video evidence.

You may be right but I've heard my entire life how easily you can be sued over anything. I've not witnessed that come to fruition. I think it's mostly a false public perception that it's so easy to sue and win. Tens of the thousands of people get poked in the head every year. I have a hard time believing that a judge would see this as anything more than a dispute with an incredible small amount of physicality involved. I don't see how even the crookedest lawyer on Earth could make a convincing case for long lasting effects from that little poke.

You may be right but I've heard my entire life how easily you can be sued over anything. I've not witnessed that come to fruition. I think it's mostly a false public perception that it's so easy to sue and win. Tens of the thousands of people get poked in the head every year. I have a hard time believing that a judge would see this as anything more than a dispute with an incredible small amount of physicality involved. I don't see how even the crookedest lawyer on Earth could make a convincing case for long lasting effects from that little poke.
The thing is though, Tony is going to run out of luck eventually, all because he can't control his temper. See : Oranthal James Simpson.

Was the instigator trying to get away from Tony? Was he in fear for his safety? Did Tony chase him to physically do harm to him? I'm not advocating for either if them. Just saying this could get interesting. I'm guessing there's an ambulance chaser that would love to get involved in this. I remember well all the questions surrounding Tonys behavior pertaining to fatal encounter will the Ward guy. They settled for an unknown amount. At some point, you need to let things go, and not get baited in to unneeded liability and further damage to your reputation.

The false public perception part is correct. There is a lot that goes into making a successful case. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that even the client doesn't see. It's not really about how "good" the attorney is though, as they can only work with what the client gives them. In cases like these, it comes down to what a medical professional says about the client's condition. I agree with you that nothing is likely to come from this, but it's always possible for an over sensitive jury to award substantial damages when the plaintiff shows medical records that go above and beyond. That usually comes from a "crooked" doctor if you will, or easily convinced, however nicely you want to put it :D

I agree it would be smarter and he would have been a better man to walk away. But it isn't always easy.
I'm fine with it if somebody is getting up in his grill. Just remember Buzz Aldrin punching the moon landing denier.

Wife says only wuss's run from a good beating...after Tony nailed the guy, they should have thrown skirts at the guy...he ran like a girl.

From someone who was there, the dude had it coming. It was relentless and went on all night. Enough is enough. All Tony was trying to do is sign autographs for everyone that wanted one. Just like last night at Knoxville, but they had security close last night.

From someone who was there, the dude had it coming. It was relentless and went on all night. Enough is enough. All Tony was trying to do is sign autographs for everyone that wanted one. Just like last night at Knoxville, but they had security close last night.
Just because you were there doesn't mean any laws change. Tony acted like a child and chased down the guy, rather than acting like he’s a professional adult who's been there before.

I never said any laws changed. My post was for those that never seen anything more than a 30 second clip, which dont tell the whole story.
“Sticks and stones” is something you teach kindergartners. No matter how much vitriol that idiot spat at Tony, his actions were unjustified.

It’s not the first time he has been unable to act like a professional.

There's no way it went on...all night... if he was in a race car. You're a Cup series owner and a polarized figure in the racing world, have some restraint and let it go. It's not that hard when you're worth tens of millions.

“Sticks and stones” is something you teach kindergartners. No matter how much vitriol that idiot spat at Tony, his actions were unjustified.

It’s not the first time he has been unable to act like a professional.

That was a drunk cop who lost his job being a jackass in public (he was the professional)

Liking someone doesn't necessarily have to include making excuses for everything he / she does.

I'm a huge fan of Tony Stewart's driving ability, passion, and contributions to racing, especially the dirt track ranks. That doesn't mean I can't see the man's problems clearly.

I have talked to people that have been around tony. They say he is a pretty weird personality to people he doesn't know. From my understanding he isn't that friendly to fans either. If its some sort of canned encounter like an autograph session or something I am sure he is fine. but outside of that, I don't think he is fan friendly as is pretty ornery. I like tony for the character he is to the sport. but getting into it like this with people is not good for him because he has 10's of millions in sponsorships his company represents.

A firm I used to work for schooled us to be aware of well known individuals with personalities that they called 1%ers. We had one here that was banned. This guys problem was that he couldn't hide behind a keyboard and he tried his B.S. on the wrong person who was well known for having a short temper and had no problem dealing with him his way. Tony lawyer this and Tony lawyer that. Tony don't f'n care never has never will.

Liking someone doesn't necessarily have to include making excuses for everything he / she does.

I'm a huge fan of Tony Stewart's driving ability, passion, and contributions to racing, especially the dirt track ranks. That doesn't mean I can't see the man's problems clearly.

Exactly. What a freaking embarrassment to the little girl there.

Back
Top Bottom