Traction Compound

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
Jesus, what happened to this sport that NASCAR felt the need to treat the racing surface for the purpose of improving the competition?
Is this even an improvement? Seems to me that it’s more of a band-aid to fix a compound fracture of a femur.

When you have kids in Go Cart they limit the HP
Same thing for our old people transports.
For Kids in Nascar who aren't skilled enough they use traction compound.

If the cars can't get traction on parts of some tracks, maybe NASCAR is using the wrong cars, or at the wrong tracks, or both. Stick-Um fakes increased banking in an attempt to run the G6 car on contracted tracks.

I'm for anything that makes the racing better, so IF the compound helps, I'm all for it. I feel the problem is MUCH more the tracks than the cars. On MOST tracks, there is always going to be one fastest lane, and if somebody is occupying it, it may not matter if you are SUBSTANTIALLY, faster, you may not be able to pass them. If they can use the compound to make another lane viable for passing, I'm ALL for that. I don't ever understand putting it on the already preferred lane though...... In the context of Kentucky, that track is just a dog, and the ONLY thing that will truly fix it is a bulldozer and a paving machine.

I wish they would get better at applying it. All they did at Kentucky is move the preferred line up to the middle of the track. They put a little dinky one tire wide strip in the low groove that is mostly worthless. If they are going to go to all that trouble, they should at least try to get as close as possible to having two equal lanes.

Instead of the traction compound, how about getting rid of all the aero-accutements?

They need to bring back the co driver while they are at it.
1594479249023.png

Applying a single groove of PJ1 at a flat track like Kentucky is asking for a follow the leader type race.

So PJ1 gives hard ties more grip
why doesn’t NASCAR just use a softer tire, no PJ1
then let the teams manage the tire wear

So PJ1 gives hard ties more grip
why doesn’t NASCAR just use a softer tire, no PJ1
then let the teams manage the tire wear
We saw that last week at Indianapolis, some of them are still crying about the softer tires and of course blaming Goodyear for bringing sets. I hate rock hard tires, but I can see why they do it, it would be pretty stupid to have the magpies constantly whining about a crappy tire when Goodyear is in the selling tire business.

I've become a PJ 1 track expert myself...self taught. They need more in the bottom grove at Kentucky and that is no B.S.

So far I have seen the traction crap to be consistently inconsistent.

Just show up and race the track the way it is. At Indy not everyone had disasterist tire trouble, just a few, the rest of them figured it out.

At Indy not everyone had disasterist tire trouble, just a few, the rest of them figured it out.
Someone was wondering how Goodyear would know what tire to bring to the Daytona roval, since they hadn't done any testing. What difference does it make when the teams are going to ignore Goodyear's recommendations anyway?

Someone was wondering how Goodyear would know what tire to bring to the Daytona roval, since they hadn't done any testing. What difference does it make when the teams are going to ignore Goodyear's recommendations anyway?

all the talk about saving teams money
have goodyear make one tire, no special RF or LR...all the same tire
use it at every track
Teams manage your tires

^^ Last time I looked the leasing cost per tire was $ 440.

It’s gone up since then.

So far I have seen the traction crap to be consistently inconsistent.

Just show up and race the track the way it is.

Yes, because who cares if the actual product sucks?
use it at every track
Teams manage your tires

Does ANYBODY here actually think that that is even remotely practical? Use your heads people, there is a REASON why there are so many different tire compounds. How many of you guys complain after a race that Goodyear brought the wrong tire? Well, if there was only one tire, it would likely be the WRONG one for ALL the tracks. I have thought for MANY years that Michelin or Bridgestone could likely do a much better job than Goodyear, but that being said, it's a bastard job trying to come up with a tire that will put on a good show AND not get drivers killed, and it's an ever moving target to hit as cars change. aero packages change, teams evolve with their setups and as the tracks are repaved and then age. Some of you need to come off the "purity of the competition" angle. If this sport isn't compelling enough to get people to watch, NOTHING else matters, because there will not BE a NASCAR. There simply is not enough of you who enjoy that type of racing for it to survive as a major sport. If football had stuck to the rule forbidding forward passes, nobody would watch IT either.

Yes, because who cares if the actual product sucks?

Does ANYBODY here actually think that that is even remotely practical? Use your heads people, there is a REASON why there are so many different tire compounds. How many of you guys complain after a race that Goodyear brought the wrong tire? Well, if there was only one tire, it would likely be the WRONG one for ALL the tracks. I have thought for MANY years that Michelin or Bridgestone could likely do a much better job than Goodyear, but that being said, it's a bastard job trying to come up with a tire that will put on a good show AND not get drivers killed, and it's an ever moving target to hit as cars change. aero packages change, teams evolve with their setups and as the tracks are repaved and then age. Some of you need to come off the "purity of the competition" angle. If this sport isn't compelling enough to get people to watch, NOTHING else matters, because there will not BE a NASCAR. There simply is not enough of you who enjoy that type of racing for it to survive as a major sport. If football had stuck to the rule forbidding forward passes, nobody would watch IT either.
I agree with everything you said here.

I should probably go sit down for a few minutes.

Don't really see the issue. Dirt tracks have been doing it for years with water to create certain racing on the track, this is no different
Inherently it's not an issue, unless it creates a one groove race track.

I like the idea of the traction compound supplementing grip..but not if there's twice as much grip in that one groove than any other lane.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Would like them to not have any grip....just like the old days. Get rid of the aero and the driver's will have to learn to drive with an egg between the foot feed and the sole of their shoe.

use it at every track
Teams manage your tires

Until your favorite driver blows a RF and ends his day. Then "We must do something about these tires!!!"

Back
Top Bottom