Truck RACE thread --- Talladega

I am truly grateful that Jordan Anderson is recovering fast enough to go home now but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happened to that 3 truck and how he ended up with burns in the places he has now described. First of all, I am guessing that something REALLY grenaded through the oil pan in that engine in order for there to be that much fire throughout the truck as quickly as it was.

Don't the ****pits on those trucks have more fire protection cababilities than this one apparently did? I guess there is not much they can do to keep fire from coming in through the windows but I would think they could shore up any other openings, i.e. in areas in the floor (around shifters, pedals etc.) and in the dash.

Also, I am perplexed about the burns he received (apparently significant ones, i.e. 2nd degree) on nis face, neck right arm, hands and knees. Wouldn't his fireproof suit, helmet/face shield and gloves normally protect a driver from burns in those areas?

I am truly grateful that Jordan Anderson is recovering fast enough to go home now but I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happened to that 3 truck and how he ended up with burns in the places he has now described. First of all, I am guessing that something REALLY grenaded through the oil pan in that engine in order for there to be that much fire throughout the truck as quickly as it was.

Don't the ****pits on those trucks have more fire protection cababilities than this one apparently did? I guess there is not much they can do to keep fire from coming in through the windows but I would think they could shore up any other openings, i.e. in areas in the floor (around shifters, pedals etc.) and in the dash.

Also, I am perplexed about the burns he received (apparently significant ones, i.e. 2nd degree) on nis face, neck right arm, hands and knees. Wouldn't his fireproof suit, helmet/face shield and gloves normally protect a driver from burns in those areas?
A fire suit will protect you from starting on fire but the amount of insulation in them really determines how much it still protects you from the thermal. If he got sprayed with hot oil that suit wouldn't do near as much as you would think it should.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Simple explanation is the wreck knocked off a fuel line or the fuel pump and and the fire, even in a well sealed firewall can still find a way. Its like when you have a water leak it will find the path of least resistance and fire will find oxygen. I'm sure it came in from the shifter boot which can explain many of the burns and during the accident the firewall probably was compromised also.

Simple explanation is the wreck knocked off a fuel line or the fuel pump and and the fire, even in a well sealed firewall can still find a way. Its like when you have a water leak it will find the path of least resistance and fire will find oxygen. I'm sure it came in from the shifter boot which can explain many of the burns and during the accident the firewall probably was compromised also.
edit, I didnt see the incident when it happened only a short replay. I thought he had an accident but it looks like the engine did let go and knocked off a fuel line and since he was at speed the wind was fueling that fire and sending it into the drivers compartment. I cant imagine fire burning you and having to jump from it with the chance of you getting crushed. As Nitro pointed out yesterday its like people jumping from the 90th floor at the WTC to escape the pain. Race car drivers worst fear is fire, glad he will make a full recovery.

Racing, as you well know, is an extremely dangerous avocation.

Every crash, every fire is different than the one that came before.

3.2A/1 gives 3 seconds until a second degree burn
3.2A/3 gives 7 seconds
3.2A/5 gives 10 seconds
3.2A/10 gives 19 seconds
3.2A/15 gives 30 seconds

I'd have to think that a suit with higher fire protection would also keep the driver much hotter in normal conditions

Yeah I think fire proof is misleading more fire resistant. And as long as he was on fire for it probably stopped being resistant.

All I know is that I see cars on fire in NASCAR races frequently. You see flames and smoke, hear a spotter say "get out of the car" and the driver pulls the car over and stops. After a few seconds, the window net drops , the driver climbs out and jaunts away from the car.

I have NEVER seen anything like what happened to the 3 truck at Dega however. The amount of fire was immense, probably the most I have ever seen in a race car and the car itself was careening wildly with smoke and flames all around it, like something out of a Stephen King novel. After few seconds it was heading towards the wall with the driver already having his head and shoulders out of the car while it was still rolling who knows how fast at that point.

I replayed the tape and he already had his head and shoulders out of the car a good 5 seconds or so before the car hit the wall. He pulled back inside the moving car quickly, probably because he saw that he was heading towards the wall. I had been afraid of either of two things, one that he would get out of the car and be crushed against the wall by the truck when it hit or else he would be pinned inside the burning truck since the driver's side car was trapped against the wall. Fortunately he was able to escape with only a few minor injuries.

I've just never seen a driver try to jump out of a race vehicle while it was still moving fairly quickly on the track before. I'm just so glad he's OK>

Back
Top Bottom