Truex, about to clinch the regular season? Probably.

What I am wondering is do playoff points carry over TO Homestead, not through.

As in, the drivers with the most playoff points after phoenix make homestead? Is there a win and your in still for the round of 8 into Homestead for everyone?

So if BK wins another race, isnt eliminated going into Texas, he gets into Homestead no matter what, if he has a top 4 gathering of playoff points?
Yes, winners advance just like they have been.

Yes, winners advance just like they have been.

But what if someone doesn't win, have won a previous round, and has "enough" playoff points after phoenix?

Say Johnson wins Texas, Harvick wins Phoenix..they are in.

Martinsville goes to an eliminated driver. So the next drivers with the most playoff points get into Homestead?

I think this is supposed to be where we say they wouldn't race the same. At least that's what I was always told

Yes, that is absolutely true to some extent. For instance, I have no doubt that the #48 and several other teams treat the regular season differently than they would under the old straight cumulative system.

My purpose with that post was simply to refute the notion that based on his existing performance Truex would be further ahead under the old system. I believe the evidence suggests his lead would be less, as his biggest advantage is utter dominance of stage wins.

But what if someone doesn't win, have won a previous round, and has "enough" playoff points after phoenix?

Say Johnson wins Texas, Harvick wins Phoenix..they are in.

Martinsville goes to an eliminated driver. So the next drivers with the most playoff points get into Homestead?
Don't overthink it. Drivers automatically advance to the next round with wins and the rest get there by points. Same as always.

There is no doubt that the #78 has been the dominant car of the season in terms of speed and performance. However, the majority of Truex's current 129 point lead on Larson is due to his lead in stage points (76), which believe it or not did not exist back in the Winston days, and the 35 point penalty assessed to Larson in July. The Latford system was always too flat and did not reward dominance nearly enough. Larson would still be well within striking distance under the old system, and actually so would Harvick and Kyle Busch.
Thanks even though I knew there were no Stage points in Winston Cup points system, but someone posted they'd race differently in the old points system so I don't know what to think. Forgot that yes there were no Stage points back in the day.

I don't know how it works, nor do I care. All I know is that the drivers that had the best year, in the top three divisions of NASCAR last year, didn't win the championships. That's why they are meaningless to me. Others have a difference of opinion, and that's OK with me. I have always thought whoever had the best year, should be champion. Some years it is close, so you have to have some way of comparing them. Some years it is obvious who had the best year, whether they won the championship or not, is another matter.

I don't know how it works, nor do I care. All I know is that the drivers that had the best year, in the top three divisions of NASCAR last year, didn't win the championships. That's why they are meaningless to me. Others have a difference of opinion, and that's OK with me. I have always thought whoever had the best year, should be champion. Some years it is close, so you have to have some way of comparing them. Some years it is obvious who had the best year, whether they won the championship or not, is another matter.
There have been quite a few times over the decades that the championship has gone to the wrong driver, IMO. Nascar has never had a really good championship format, and I've been unhappy about that since 1975, whan I first learned how the points scale worked.

The 2017 changes to the championship format will go some distance toward putting the most deserving four in the championship finale at Homestead. This year, unlike last year, excellence in the regular season will create a safety cushion that will help the best teams make it to Homestead. It's not a guarantee that the best four all get there, nor is there a guarantee that your choice of "best" will win at Homestead, but it is a substantial step in the right direction, I believe. It is better this year than last year.

I like the fact that playoff points carry all the way to Homestead, but I don't like the fact at all that we're awarding points in stages.

I love the Homestead Bowl I won't lie. Was totally glued to that TV the entire race.

There's nothing wrong with those one off championship settings, it's what makes college bball and football so great

I love the Homestead Bowl I won't lie. Was totally glued to that TV the entire race.

There's nothing wrong with those one off championship settings, it's what makes college bball and football so great

I don't mind it as much as others, but they should make to where there's better pit stall selection to the #1 seed going into the race or whatever if you get what I'm saying.

Truex in position to clinch regular season championship

DENVER, Colo. (Aug. 15, 2017) -- After two consecutive drama-filled races that saw Martin Truex Jr. score a win at Watkins Glen International and runner-up at Michigan International Speedway, the Furniture Row Racing driver is now in position to mathematically clinch the regular season championship.

Truex enters Saturday night's Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race with a 129-point lead over second place Kyle Larson. Truex will need to leave Bristol with at least a 121-point margin to clinch the NASCAR Cup Series regular season championship with two races remaining.

Winning the 26-race regular season championship is significant not only for prestige, but more importantly for securing an additional 15 playoff bonus points. Truex currently leads the NASCAR Cup Series with 35 playoff points. The 10-race playoffs start Sept. 17 at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill.

Truex's current series lead of 35 playoff points has been the result of winning four races (5 playoff points for each win) and claiming 15 stage victories (1 playoff point for each stage win).

"It might appear that we have a safe margin, but I've been around long enough to know that points can dwindle fairy quickly," said Truex, who will drive the No. 78 Bass Pro Shops/Ducks Unlimited Toyota at Bristol. "The next three races - Bristol, Darlington and Richmond - are at tracks where the odds are higher of your day ending prematurely. So that's why I am not looking ahead or counting points. All the focus right now is getting a good result in Bristol."

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017...x-position-clinch-regular-season-championship

No, I am asking about those "points", playoff points right?
I don't think I'm going to be able to answer your question to your satisfaction or maybe I simply don't understand the question at this point. I'll let someone else try.

I don't think I'm going to be able to answer your question to your satisfaction or maybe I simply don't understand the question at this point. I'll let someone else try.

Haha I'll simplify it

I'm just asking if "playoff points" are what get you into Homestead if you don't win.

Haha I'll simplify it

I'm just asking if "playoff points" are what get you into Homestead if you don't win.
Playoff points carried forward are added to points earned during the round of 8 races so yes, they might carry a driver who doesn't win in that round into Homestead.

Playoff points carried forward are added to points earned during the round of 8 races so yes, they might carry a driver who doesn't win in that round into Homestead.

Thank you. You answered exactly what I was asking.

If that explanation doesn't work, I don't know what will.

it worked. She answered exactly what I was asking.

I was providing a hypothetical example, creating a scenario to provide insight towards my question. I was looking for an answer in the scenario I provided to ultimately answer my question. Apparently, the simplicity of my scenario-based version of my question wasn't as easily comprehended as I had hoped. Oh well, my question was answered.

it worked. She answered exactly what I was asking.

I was providing a hypothetical example, creating a scenario to provide insight towards my question. I was looking for an answer in the scenario I provided to ultimately answer my question. Apparently, the simplicity of my scenario-based version of my question wasn't as easily comprehended as I had hoped. Oh well, my question was answered.
@aunty dive is a he. He just posts that way. :confused::eek::D:D

No...this why they aren't, wins and consistency should be awarded the entire season not just in stages. Screw this playoffs crap...just another fabrication from Nascar.

Wins are awarded 5 bonus points. Stage win only gives you 1. Consistency is rewarded, that's why Martin has a big lead. Playoffs are great and Truex being close to clinching is proof. Without a playoff he'd clinch the championship before Homestead more than likely.

Wins are awarded 5 bonus points. Stage win only gives you 1. Consistency is rewarded, that's why Martin has a big lead. Playoffs are great and Truex being close to clinching is proof. Without a playoff he'd clinch the championship before Homestead more than likely.

Doesn't he have like a 3 race lead lol

I know is that the drivers that had the best year, in the top three divisions of NASCAR last year, didn't win the championships

To be fair Johnny Sauter would have won under the old points system by a point I'm pretty sure. Yeah Byron dominated but Sauter was more consistent.

So many ****** convolutions i used to understand every version of the points system now its a total bull****ery if it werent for plate tracks road courses martinsville and darlington id never watch again.

So many ******* convolutions i used to understand every version of the points system now its a total bull****ery if it werent for plate tracks road courses martinsville and darlington id never watch again.

Points system now is way simpler than before. Very easy to follow and takes simple addition to calculate stage points which NASCAR will do anyway for those that can't.

I noticed that, too. Watching Byron lose after the year he had was particularly painful. Sadler, I think, would have won the title with several races to spare under the old format.

I like F1's style of "you get a certain number of points from where you finish; nothing more, nothing less" points system. Accumulating points due to final race position has always been the way to go, imo. The "playoffs" have been an interesting concept, but... I hope that soon in the foreseeable future we will see NASCAR go back to what I call the "common sense" format. :)

I noticed that, too. Watching Byron lose after the year he had was particularly painful. Sadler, I think, would have won the title with several races to spare under the old format.

I like F1's style of "you get a certain number of points from where you finish; nothing more, nothing less" points system. Accumulating points due to final race position has always been the way to go, imo. The "playoffs" have been an interesting concept, but... I hope that soon in the foreseeable future we will see NASCAR go back to what I call the "common sense" format. :)

I guess I'm the only one who thinks the 40-1 system worked well with perhaps the race winner getting 50 points, and the usual bonus point for lap led, most laps led.

Back
Top Bottom