Ty Gibbs Appreciation Thread

Revman

Denny beat your favorite driver....again!
Because I want a Ty Gibbs appreciation thread. Saw him wheel it in Portland in the rain in Practice, and I am sold. Rain is awesome, and Portland was a great place for it....Listening to Ty modulate the throttle out of 8 was an opportunity of a lifetime. Just incredible.

His grandpa got to Super bowls with 3 different quarterbacks, plus he's had to manage Kyle Busch and Tony Stewart at the track. He knows how to deal with people problems and I suspect he'll have that kid grown up pretty quick.
I speak as a lifelong fan of the football team that Gibbs coached, and as an early fan of Coach Gibbs' Nascar team... Gibbs had to *convince* me through his actions that my allegiance would fit better elsewhere.

Gibbs has managed Kyle Busch and Tony Stewart mainly by *enabling* their serial boorish behavior, in my opinion. I really can't comment on whether he did the same with his football divas, but that's been his modus operandi in racing. I suspect he will continue to enable his grandson, which will tend to slow his rate of maturation. The kid does seem to have copious talent, however. But I'm not gonna 'appreciate' his dirty driving or his petulant attitude, thanks anyway for the thread @Revman.

I predict the hate will flow strongly through this thread.
I, for one, appreciate Ty Gibbs and his undeniable talent..Reminds me of a younger Kyle Busch. Just my opinion though...

I speak as a lifelong fan of the football team that Gibbs coached, and as an early fan of Coach Gibbs' Nascar team... Gibbs had to *convince* me through his actions that my allegiance would fit better elsewhere.

Gibbs has managed Kyle Busch and Tony Stewart mainly by *enabling* their serial boorish behavior, in my opinion. I really can't comment on whether he did the same with his football divas, but that's been his modus operandi in racing. I suspect he will continue to enable his grandson, which will tend to slow his rate of maturation. The kid does seem to have copious talent, however. But I'm not gonna 'appreciate' his dirty driving or his petulant attitude, thanks anyway for the thread @Revman.
It would be understandable for a person to have a single standard for how professional athletes should behave. Professional ethics--much like personal morality--is relative. Coach has managed KB and Stewart...and to your point numerous football athletes not by a preconceived and specific standard, but by a standard relative to the human beings that they are. I am sure that there are lines that cannot be crossed--and clearly KB nor Tony crossed those enough to be fired, but I can't say with any certainty if any of his football players did....but I am sure some probably did. Indeed Coach is a Christian man, but he accepts people for who they are, and does his best to make them the best person they can be. Now, that "best" may be crap to you, but not everybody's ceiling is that of a William Byron or a Jimmie Johnson or whoever you consider to be the standard.

Ty Gibbs is a great kid based on the brand he projects, and one hell of a driver by all accounts. As for "dirty"....I don't think anybody knows what the hell that is anymore. If "Aw Shucks" Chase Briscoe can pile into Denny under a black flag and take out Tyler Reddick with a smile, then I give up on what the standard is.

Thanks for responding to the thread. We will miss you here, but feel free to come back anytime.

I predict the hate will flow strongly through this thread.
I, for one, appreciate Ty Gibbs and his undeniable talent..Reminds me of a younger Kyle Busch. Just my opinion though...
100%.

He raced Larsen clean last weekend and seemed a bit more mature in his post race interview. Maybe he is starting to grow up.
I'll tell you what....Larson drove him clean as well. I was impressed with what he chose not to do.

Ty Gibbs is a tough pill to swallow... has the NASCAR Royalty family connections and more money than 95% of the garage but he sure is a talent and that's good to see.

I just hope he's not another Dillon brother...

The Dillon Brothers have NASCAR Family royalty connections and more money than half the garage.
The talent just had never materialized for them...

Ty Gibbs is a tough pill to swallow... has the NASCAR Royalty family connections and more money than 95% of the garage but he sure is a talent and that's good to see.

I just hope he's not another Dillon brother...
In real world terms......many of them come from money.....lots of money. I don't care about that. I like the way he drives. He does go over the line, but so do many....all about the spin. As far as his faith....much like Coach, I believe he has strong conviction, but is not bound by the expectation that he should be perfect or fulfill a stereotype. He is what he is....and much like KFB, he doesn't care what anybody thinks.....except his owner.

In real world terms......many of them come from money.....lots of money. I don't care about that. I like the way he drives. He does go over the line, but so do many....all about the spin. As far as his faith....much like Coach, I believe he has strong conviction, but is not bound by the expectation that he should be perfect or fulfill a stereotype. He is what he is....and much like KFB, he doesn't care what anybody thinks.....except his owner.
How well is that working for ol sponsorless Kyle?

The Dillon Brothers have NASCAR Family royalty connections and more money than half the garage.
The talent just had never materialized for them...
...and honestly, I sure wish it did. I like them both--particularly Ty. I sat next to him flying to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and the dude was a complete gentleman. I was really impressed. Saw some stuff I was reading, recognized me as a race fan, and talked racing for two hours. I kept telling him that I knew he probably wanted to relax and think about something else, and he told me that it was HIS pleasure to chat with a fan. BTW....he told me that Toyota was lucky to have such a loyal fan. Great guy.

Ty Gibbs is an absolute supertalent. His car control is insane and it's allowed him to do things that no other driver can even dream of. Dude's got more natural talent than any up-and-coming driver. In my experiences, he's also been a gentleman.

But I am not going to show "appreciation" for dirty driving. And I don't know if it's an act or what, but Ty Gibbs is the epitome of everything that's wrong with this new generation of racers. They'll do whatever it takes to win, even if it means flat out wrecking someone else. They grew up watching Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights (if you ain't first you're last🙄) and playing videogames.

They have no respect for their equipment, their crews, or the hard work of the drivers and teams around them. They get in their cars and won't think twice about wrecking another man, and don't care what the aftermath is.

I've seen it way too much in Late Model racing too. Drivers are side-by-side for the win on the backstretch and the second place car will just wreck the first place car to win instead of racing to the finish. Or will wreck the leader as they cross the checkered flag, making sure that dude who just won a race now has to spend $25,000+ in damages.

Respect is earned. Appreciation is earned. And right now, most of these damn kids aren't doing a thing to earn it.

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

If "Aw Shucks" Chase Briscoe can pile into Denny under a black flag and take out Tyler Reddick with a smile, then I give up on what the standard is.

I've lost a lot of respect for Chase Briscoe lately too.

These damn kids have to learn that finishing in second place is just fine and getting beat by a better car or driver should just make you work harder, not go out there and wreck them because you couldn't get by them.

When Josh Berry lost to Ty Majeski at Florence, he said he just got beat by a damn good racecar driver.

I don't know why these kids can't act like that. There's nothing wrong with finishing second and living to fight another day. In fact, finishing second is much better than "jUsT sEnD iT" and tearing your car and another car up and finishing 30th.

I know I sound like "Get off my lawn" guy today, but I'm tired of the "racecraft" we're seeing. We need more guys out there who look up to Mark Martin and less guys who look up to Dale Earnhardt. Be humble in victory, gracious in defeat.

How well is that working for ol sponsorless Kyle?
I think ol sponsor less Kyle needs to give ol retired Matt Kenseth a call to discuss that 10 million he isn't letting go of.....Tell ya what, I know what the Ty Gibbs narrative has been, but I think that Alpert left the door open. I think that if somebody was out there willing to give Kyle the 10 million he thinks he deserves, he would be gone by now. I am sure that his Truck team is a part of the conversation as well.

Ty Gibbs is an absolute supertalent. His car control is insane and it's allowed him to do things that no other driver can even dream of. Dude's got more natural talent than any up-and-coming driver. In my experiences, he's also been a gentleman.

But I am not going to show "appreciation" for dirty driving. And I don't know if it's an act or what, but Ty Gibbs is the epitome of everything that's wrong with this new generation of racers. They'll do whatever it takes to win, even if it means flat out wrecking someone else. They grew up watching Days of Thunder and Talladega Nights (if you ain't first you're last🙄) and playing videogames.

They have no respect for their equipment, their crews, or the hard work of the drivers and teams around them. They get in their cars and won't think twice about wrecking another man, and don't care what the aftermath is.

I've seen it way too much in Late Model racing too. Drivers are side-by-side for the win on the backstretch and the second place car will just wreck the first place car to win instead of racing to the finish. Or will wreck the leader as they cross the checkered flag, making sure that dude who just won a race now has to spend $25,000+ in damages.

Respect is earned. Appreciation is earned. And right now, most of these damn kids aren't doing a thing to earn it.

View attachment 63905

I've lost a lot of respect for Chase Briscoe lately too.

These damn kids have to learn that finishing in second place is just fine and getting beat by a better car or driver should just make you work harder, not go out there and wreck them because you couldn't get by them.

When Josh Berry lost to Ty Majeski at Florence, he said he just got beat by a damn good racecar driver.

I don't know why these kids can't act like that. There's nothing wrong with finishing second and living to fight another day. In fact, finishing second is much better than "jUsT sEnD iT" and tearing your car and another car up and finishing 30th.

I know I sound like "Get off my lawn" guy today, but I'm tired of the "racecraft" we're seeing. We need more guys out there who look up to Mark Martin and less guys who look up to Dale Earnhardt. Be humble in victory, gracious in defeat.
I hear what you are saying. These kids are growing up in a racing world when the definition of a bump and run vs. a dump and run is ambiguous at best. I haven't seen anything written about Briscoe that describes him as dirty (until your post). Why? Because he's a grassroots, dirt tracking'...rrrrracer...smiles and shakes hands and everything is just fine. Ty Gibbs....different narrative.....spoiled brat who never earned anything. So, if it's murky from the outside, it's murky from the inside. These kids never saw the old school guys race, so who's fault is it that they don't know what the hell they are doing? Crew Chiefs...and owners. Why aren't they threatening to dump them for their driving? I get that the yappers here will say that it's because Ty is Coach's grandkid, but then what about ol Briscoe? They aren't threatening because they don't know. They react to the negative **** if it surfaces, but stay quiet if the fans and media are willing to ingest it. We place all of the blame on the driver, but this is a team sport and egomaniac owners are staying quiet when their drivers get away with ****. Ty is in a place in his career where I think he is responsive to those he trusts the most. I thought he raced Larson very well last week, but at the same time much credit needs to be given to Larson for not being a dick. Had Larson done what he could have done, it would have been interesting to see if Ty had progressed in this area, but the Ty we have seen sure as hell would have hit him back.

As far as the crews....I don't know what they are expecting. Their livelihood depends on the success of the driver. Do they see overly aggressive driving as a guy going all out for his guys, or as someone who is an egomaniac driving for himself and not giving a **** about the hours that go into fixing a race car? I truly don't know.

"Win and you're in / you advance to the next round" discourages that style of driving. You're thinking of when consistency mattered, silly boy.

NASCAR wants this. That’s why the finale is at Phoenix, so someone divebombs the dogleg on a late race restart at a track that is otherwise consistently awful.

Just like Martinsville and guys wrecking other guys on the last lap to make the final four.

I’m for good racing and good shows, but I’m sick of no good malignant racing.

"Win and you're in / you advance to the next round" discourages that style of driving. You're thinking of when consistency mattered, silly boy.
And they will have more than enough whining to bleed all over the threads about how these drivers have no respect as it gets closer to the playoffs. Suck it up buttercups, it ain't going to change..Go cut your lawn lol.

The sanctioning body put composite components on the damn cars so that the consequences for beating and banging would be lessened. I liked the risk/reward of putting a fender to somebody. Now.....all reward....very little risk.

TY Gibbs is the most talented driver in the Xfinity series and more talented the half of the Cup drivers, and thats being conservative.
The stupid thing is that the "fandom" tries to tear him down before he even completely shows up. I have not had a ton of great angles in order to absolutely sit back and enjoy a driver driving.....stumbled upon a vantage point in Portland because the track crossing was inexplicably closed. Ended up on a hill overlooking 8 with some spotters because a security guy was amazingly cool...started to rain...Ty was sideways....looked at my phone for times....top of the sheet....repeatedly. Kept managing the slide....kept getting faster. Because it was practice, they were going through one at a time so I could hear the throttle....Damn, that was an unexpected awesome experience. Went down on a whim, and turned out to be the experience of a lifetime. Race tracks are like that sometimes. So awesome.

The stupid thing is that the "fandom" tries to tear him down before he even completely shows up. I have not had a ton of great angles in order to absolutely sit back and enjoy a driver driving.....stumbled upon a vantage point in Portland because the track crossing was inexplicably closed. Ended up on a hill overlooking 8 with some spotters because a security guy was amazingly cool...started to rain...Ty was sideways....looked at my phone for times....top of the sheet....repeatedly. Kept managing the slide....kept getting faster. Because it was practice, they were going through one at a time so I could hear the throttle....Damn, that was an unexpected awesome experience. Went down on a whim, and turned out to be the experience of a lifetime. Race tracks are like that sometimes. So awesome.

Excited for you having such a great vantage point, that is what I like about watching the August Bristol qualifying live and in person. Cause during the race you ain't got a clue when they are on or off, just a steady beautiful Hi Horsepower roar!

The stupid thing is that the "fandom" tries to tear him down before he even completely shows up....
C'mon man, you know better than that. Gibbs earned his reputation whacking other cars like a damn cue ball, and every week says it's just racing. Until that race someone touches *his* fender, and it's all like...

The stupid thing is that the "fandom" tries to tear him down before he even completely shows up.

LOL

This is the same kid who had by far the best car in ARCA, yet still felt the need to punt someone out of his way or complain about getting tagged when he threw a ridiculous block. The same kid who called veteran driver AJ Allmendinger "dirty" in his first Xfinity start. The same kid who kept his helmet on when he threw a punch at a guy's face.

He looks like he's 10 years old, and comes off like a spoiled punk. He has deserved every bit of the "tearing down" from the fanbase.

C'mon man, you know better than that. Gibbs earned his reputation whacking other cars like a damn cue ball, and every week says it's just racing. Until that race someone touches *his* fender, and it's all like...

Tbh Sam Mayer is exactly the same as Ty Gibbs. Kid wrecked someone at Dover on purpose to win a championship. Doesn’t get much worse than that.

Ty was a punk for waiting until the other guy took his helmet off to fight while leaving his on. That’s the part that bothered me.

Ty is a great talent and he should have a great career.

On an individual level he is still a kid imo and still young enough for a lot more development, time will tell the rest of the story.
Ty's actually a good kid.

Which is what confuses me most about his on track antics. He's obviously very competitive, like Ross Chastain. And believe me, the irony of me writing all this while rooting for Ross Chastain isn't lost on me.

Ty just goes too far, and it's probably just part of being a kid.

Back
Top Bottom