USAC 2022

Sprint car main event about to go green, midgets coming after that.

Holy crap is that entertaining racing. We've went both nights, and going again tomorrow. Quite disapointing how few of people are attending this event for as good as the racing is.

Kofoid reminds me of James Stewart, just flat out 150% speed. Those slide jobs him and Macintosh were throwing were something.

Another first time sprint car winner tonight at the finale in Mitchel Moles. He takes the victory and $12,000 over Leary, Axsom, Bacon, and Ballou. Great racing at Huset's this weekend. Unfortunately the joint did not look very full, unlike for the big WoO weekend a couple weeks back. Much praise to the facility owner for putting on all of these big races, the USAC racing is as good as any.

26 cars. Lots of fast runners in this one.

100 laps is a long ways in one of these things.

Jade Avedisian is upside down.

3 right rear failures so far ... they’re not halfway yet.

Taylor Reimer gets up in the air. Done for the night - just in time for the fuel break.

Another first time sprint car winner tonight at the finale in Mitchel Moles. He takes the victory and $12,000 over Leary, Axsom, Bacon, and Ballou. Great racing at Huset's this weekend. Unfortunately the joint did not look very full, unlike for the big WoO weekend a couple weeks back. Much praise to the facility owner for putting on all of these big races, the USAC racing is as good as any.
We are not in an area that has much of a following for non wing Sprints, so therefore, not much support from the local communities. This is my home track, and I go every week and have been going for 25 years. Friday night, I seen one person I knew, and recognized approx 6 other regulars that sit near my section (DDD). Saturday, I knew 2 people and the same group of others. Sunday, I knew 2 people and only one of the group chose to attend because of the heat. The others opted to stay at 212 Boiling Point and watch on line, even though they were 1 mile from the track. Streaming is a definite factor.

The racing was great all 3 nights. Crowd was actually pathetic. If it wasn't for travelers from Indiana, Oklahoma and across the nation coming in for this event, it would be embarrassing. My thoughts on the fan base, is that it is aging. I'm 63, and the greater % of fans around me were of the same vintage or older.

We talked at length with track owner Tod Quiring after the race. This race will happen again next year. Dates may or may not change. They're thinking about sistering it to the High Bank Nationals 4 day WoO next year to try to possibly attract fans to attend both.

Husets provides the track , prep, ticket sales, concessions etc to put this show on. Matt Wood leases/rents the track for the week and runs the program, controls ticket prices, etc. Their (USAC) advertising for this event needs to be severely improved as other than their schedule, its basically non existent in the local racing scene, other that what Husets is doing to promote the show.

Ticket pricing is up there and may need to be adjusted if they are ever going to build this brand locally. 30 GA, 40 Reserved, $20 for kids (took my 7 year old granddaughter on Saturday night). I'm sorry, but a 7 year old shouldn't even require a ticket. She wanted to go, and chose the race over a local parade and fireworks at the same time..
We also chatted with Matt Wood and his wife Debbie as they were packing up their T Shirts and thanked them for bringing this to Husets the last 2 years. He profusely thanks us for attending and when we told him we lived 10 miles away, he told us to bring our friends next year. I told him we are trying.

I have both Flo and DV streaming accounts. so it would've been extremely easy for me to stay home and watch from home, or, we have at least 4 local pubs that stream both streams every race. I told my wife, we moved closer to the track in order to make it easier to attend/support and thats what we did, even though it was stifling hot on Sunday..

There's some big things coming down the pipe in the future. Short track racing is in good hands with the likes of Knoxville, Owners like Tod Quiring, and promoters like Kyle Larson, Brad Sweet choosing to get involved with Silver Dollar Speedway.

Ryan Times won the feature.

it was mostly a freight train around the bottom.

Ryan Timms is the real deal. Possibly the best raw talent in the country. Will be interesting to see where he lands throughout his career. I'm guessing winged sprints.

Kyle Larson just introduced a new series next year...

Ryan Timms is the real deal. Possibly the best raw talent in the country. Will be interesting to see where he lands throughout his career. I'm guessing winged sprints.

Kyle Larson just introduced a new series next year...
He ran a good race, capitalized on mistakes the others made. But that is pretty much a home track. I hope he runs more USAC's

Nobody had anything for Meseraull.

Kofoid, Timms and McIntosh gave it everything they had.

Back
Top Bottom