USFL is trying to make a comeback (sorta)….

AuzGrams

Team Owner
The new United States Football League is launching in the spring of 2022.

The new USFL is an American football league, owned by FOX Sports, that will deliver high-quality, innovative professional football played in the spring and early summer.

Here's what you need to know about the new USFL:

How many teams will be in the league? How will the league be formatted?

There will be eight teams in the new USFL, split into two divisions –– North and South. Each team will play a 10-game schedule, with teams in the same division playing each other twice and teams in the other division once.

The top two teams in each division will play against each other in the semifinals followed a week later by the championship game.

Where will games be played?

In the inaugural season of the USFL, all eight teams will play in one location, which will be announced soon. In the future, the USFL expects teams to play in their own markets.

When will the season begin?

The 2022 USFL regular season will begin in mid-April and run through mid-June, followed by the playoffs.

On what days will games be played? How can fans watch?

Games will be played on both Saturday and Sunday, with special broadcasts on specific Fridays and Mondays.

FOX Sports is an official broadcast partner of the USFL and will air games on a weekly basis.

Who will oversee the new USFL?

Brian Woods –– the founder and CEO of The Spring League from 2017 to 2021 and a co-founder of the new USFL –– will serve as the league's President of Football Operations.

Three-time Super Bowl champion and former Dallas Cowboys fullback Daryl "Moose" Johnstonwill serve as Executive Vice President of Football Operations.

Joining the new USFL as Head of Officiating is former NFL Vice President of Officiating and FOX Sports' NFL and College Football Rules analyst Mike Pereira. And FOX Sports’ Edward Hartman will serve as Executive Vice President of Business Operations.

"We are extremely fortunate to have this extraordinary team of experienced executives to guide the new USFL's development as we move toward launch this spring," said FOX Sports CEO and Executive Producer Eric Shanks, who will serve as Chairman of the USFL's Board of Directors.

"I am confident Brian, Daryl, Mike and Edward have the passion, experience, and commitment we need to get the job done, so come April, we will offer a compelling, high-quality game of professional football that fans will embrace."

Plans are progressing quickly, and additional announcements will be made in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

Would be cool if they brought back teams/cities such as Orlando, Birmingham, Memphis, San Antonio, Portland, St. Louis, Oakland like the AAF kinda did.

We’ll see though. Looks like there’s a North/South setup so perhaps that’s not the case.

Last edited:

AuzGrams

Team Owner
Bored with no work to do.

North
New Jersey Generals
Philadelphia Stars
Chicago Blitz
St. Louis Gunners/Archers(?)

South
Orlando Renegades
Birmingham Stallions
San Antonio Gunslingers
Los Angeles Express

Though I’d love to see newer markets such as Portland, Salt Lake, Memphis, Oakland get another shot. This would probably make sense as far as ratings and attendance.

AuzGrams

Team Owner
Just announced the teams on FS1.

North
Michigan Panthers
New Jersey Generals
Philadelphia Stars
Pittsburgh Maulers

South
Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
New Orleans Breakers
Tampa Bay Bandits

donthaveanickname

Viva Polonia
I was thoroughly enjoying the XFL product
In early 2020 I sometimes tuned in to XFL games after the Xfinity races were over and I actually liked what I saw.
One of the reasons why I can't get into Football is that it feels like a game takes forever. In XFL it felt like it was quite significantly faster.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Kinda weird they’re playing the inaugural season at one location, rumored to be Birmingham. I guess that’s a cost thing? Kinda hard to build fan bases if you’re not actually playing in the cities where the teams are based.

AuzGrams

Team Owner
Kinda weird they’re playing the inaugural season at one location, rumored to be Birmingham. I guess that’s a cost thing? Kinda hard to build fan bases if you’re not actually playing in the cities where the teams are based.

I think they’re trying to get a season off the ground lol.

Wish they had St. Louis and/or San Antonio instead of Tampa Bay.

Michigan could work I guess, but it’s not a huge market? Maybe they realize the Lions fans are sad saps and need a winning team?

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
I think they’re trying to get a season off the ground lol.

Wish they had St. Louis and/or San Antonio instead of Tampa Bay.

Michigan could work I guess, but it’s not a huge market? Maybe they realize the Lions fans are sad saps and need a winning team?
St. Louis could use it, I thought their XFL attendance last year was really strong. I don’t think Tampa Bay needs another sports team right now. Made sense in the 80’s but not so much right now.

AuzGrams

Team Owner
St. Louis could use it, I thought their XFL attendance last year was really strong. I don’t think Tampa Bay needs another sports team right now. Made sense in the 80’s but not so much right now.

XFL & USFL should just merge together into the USFL 2.0 in 2023. Bring the St. Louis BattleHawks into the USFL.

Maybe in the future expand to 10 with the LA Express, Oakland Invaders or San Antonio Gunslingers/Commanders.

Last edited:

nickp

Team Owner
If the USFL can draw 150-200k on FS1 and 500k or so on big Fox I think it would be a success

Top Bottom