Vacation stories/pictures thread

I'm taking advantage of telecommuting and going out to ski Utah during this virus. Hoping for a couple weeks out there but not booking all those nights as I'm not positive they'll keep ski resorts open as long this spring (but so far, no mid-sized or major resorts have closed out there). Got the Air BnB booked for $40 a night, a quick bus or car ride to many many ski areas. I've never been out there and I'm nervous as hell about things shutting down . I'm either gonna kick myself in the balls for trying and getting out there only to have the resorts close, but I'll kick myself harder if they stay open and I turn down what is literally a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I live in Connecticut on the New York border an hour from Manhatten and on the major road from New York to Boston (Interstate 84). People are freaking out. Better I get out there than stay in this petri dish.

earlier this month in Lake Havasu Springs, AZ. It is exactly the way I remember it being. Just beautiful scenic landscape without much people around on this side of the lake opposite the London Bridge side. Very calming feel connected to nature here.

20211005_181027.jpg

This was out on the water the first day we got there at Sunset, just enough time for a quick ski run. The water is still warm here in October, more mild and refreshing than in the scorching Summer months when it feels like a warm bath.

Screenshot_2021-10-06-14-50-40.png

We tried fishing here one morning, that is actually the highway up there that wraps around the lake, the shore to the left is an island, it didn't used to be a no wake zone in this area, but apparently is protected now. I just liked the shape of the mountain plateau up there, it's a little more red rock than the pic gives off. Havasu is a top10 bass fishing lake, so they say, we came up empty here, it may have been the weather if they were hunkered down, or the most recent bass-pro tournament they had a couple weeks before, we tried everything in the box lure wise at different locations times.

20211007_082150-1.jpg

this spot is called "The Rock" because you jump off of that little 25-30 foot middle rock, it's not so little once you strategically carefully climb your way up.
It's on the same side as the Parker Dam, and a nice little wind protected area where you can anchor up and take it easy. I got my jump in with a lifevest on, you plunge down pretty deep after splash down feet first, equalized pressure on the way up.

And now for my Fish Story. In the middle of the day, after there was a break in the weather from thunderstorms the sun came out, I decided to go down to the dock during what supposed to be an active solunar period and got my Hawaiian popper ready to throw up near the shoreline dropoff, on my 3rd attempt I made a perfect cast into this crevice bush area, gave it some pop pop action I saw something come out of hiding after it and wham! it full on' attacked it! jumped top water bite and bingo we're fish on, this is a sizable fish I feel, I'm finessing fighting him or her, I can tell there is a lot of tension on the line and rod bend, this may be the biggest bass I've ever caught, from the judge of the flashes of color in the water I'm guessing 4-5lbs and it's a smallmouth!

I'm still in shock that I have a fish on my line, I'm reeling and almost have him back to the dock, he starts to go underneath where I'm standing, I guide him back in front of me to the front of the dock, we're up close and personal, he see's me I see him, he looks at me and goes airborne shaking his mouth, the treble hook shakes free, and it scurries away faster than it bit my line, adios turtle! I stand on the dock crushed in shock looking around for a good minute, I cannot believe that just happened. I had him! Little did I know that would be my one and only shot at a fish on this trip, hooked him and reeled him in but did not land him. It was a fun fight, he jumped multiple times and I saw him multiple times. I spent a handful of hours trying to catch the one that got away in this area the next two days, zero bites. That is the torture of fishing that drives me crazy sometimes, but probably also part of why I like it.

Also gotta say the drive towing to and from went well, found a spacious 76 station off the 10 that was a full dollar cheaper mid-3's where we filled up that was a nice find, and then the drive back was kind of fun thru the whoopdy-doos of the vidal junction highway.

Good trip, scenic views of this location seared into my memory bank once again.

Never seen that part of Arizona. My Bride and I spent the New Jersey winters in Mesa back in the mid and late 1980's. Traveled around a lot, just never got there. Sounds like despite the frustration of not catching anything to sow off was top drawer. Glad to know you had fun..

Just back from the Cook Islands after a trip with my wife. A much needed break from work.
We go to the Island of Rarotonga every year for a short break but this time I want my wife to experience the marvel that is Aitutaki
20220922_084254.jpg

20220922_120105.jpg

20220922_153502.jpg

20220923_135243.jpg

Having trouble from my phone
20220923_135422.jpg

I should say that when I say we go to Rarotonga each year for a short break we have to take another 45 minute flight to get to Aitutaki.
Both are in the Cook Islands

In the 4th pic above you can see about a dozen people walking away from me. The skipper dropped us off on the sand bar (they call it Heaven sand bar) for us to walk to the middle island in the following pic. One foot Island. Reminiscing...and planning our next trip there. 😂

Spent last week in Czechia, Austria and Bavaria for the inaugural running of the Central European Rally.
Seeing these Rally1 cars in person was fantastic. These things are flying by so fast it's quite difficult to take a picture of them.
@Revman will be pleased I got to see one of HIS Toyotas win the World Championship.
IMG_20231028_172623.jpg

IMG_20231028_171827.jpg

IMG_20231028_171825.jpg

IMG_20231028_174037.jpg

IMG_20231027_105417.jpg

IMG_20231028_111531.jpg

IMG_20231027_092022.jpg

Great pictures!! Those rally cars are fast and the driver and navigator are nucking futz! When they crash they must write the car off. A hazard of the business.

In the mid-1950s I had an MGTD and participated in road rallies but nothing like the ones you saw. Our events were held on regular highways, usually late evening when traffic was low and the objective was to follow the directions within specific time allotments.
Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 3.18.17 PM.png
I also entered a bunch of hill climbs which is a bit of a misnomer as these were not what one thinks of as a hill climb where modified vehicles try to climb steep inclines of dirt. The ones I got involved in were on paved roads, uphill, with numerous sharp turns and the fastest car to the top got the trophy. Small time stuff since there was no trophy girl to kiss the winner.

Funny thing about that car was there was no adjustment to the driver seat and it had no heater. The floorboards were wood and if the top was up it had side curtains to put in place with plastic sown in place and a flap to stick your arm through to signal for turning. Remember, this was a 1952 model car and not all had signal lights necessitating hand signals for turns. I kept the top down all year and used the tonneau cover when the car was parked. It got pretty cold in the northwest corner of New Jersey where PA, NY, and NJ meet. We got plenty of snow but I bundled up in layers and placed an old army blanket folded multiple times on the back of the driver seat to push me forward as I was only about 5'4" at the time. I had a heavy winter hat with ear flaps and a long back that covered the back of my head to the neck and the front had a flap that covered my forehead. The tonneau cover had a zipper up the middle so I could unzip the driver compartment and leave the rest of the cover in place. All in all, it worked pretty well. Thinking about it now it was a crazy thing to do but I wanted that MG and those were the sacrifices made to enjoy it.

On Memorial Day, 1956, it met it demise when a drunk came around a blind curve and hit me in the left front. Somewhere there is a picture and if I can find it will post it later.

Sorry to ramble on like this but us old folks don't have much to talk about and rehashing some of the crazier things we did in our youth bring a BIG smile.

Great pictures!! Those rally cars are fast and the driver and navigator are nucking futz! When they crash they must write the car off. A hazard of the business.

In the mid-1950s I had an MGTD and participated in road rallies but nothing like the ones you saw. Our events were held on regular highways, usually late evening when traffic was low and the objective was to follow the directions within specific time allotments.
View attachment 73834
I also entered a bunch of hill climbs which is a bit of a misnomer as these were not what one thinks of as a hill climb where modified vehicles try to climb steep inclines of dirt. The ones I got involved in were on paved roads, uphill, with numerous sharp turns and the fastest car to the top got the trophy. Small time stuff since there was no trophy girl to kiss the winner.

Funny thing about that car was there was no adjustment to the driver seat and it had no heater. The floorboards were wood and if the top was up it had side curtains to put in place with plastic sown in place and a flap to stick your arm through to signal for turning. Remember, this was a 1952 model car and not all had signal lights necessitating hand signals for turns. I kept the top down all year and used the tonneau cover when the car was parked. It got pretty cold in the northwest corner of New Jersey where PA, NY, and NJ meet. We got plenty of snow but I bundled up in layers and placed an old army blanket folded multiple times on the back of the driver seat to push me forward as I was only about 5'4" at the time. I had a heavy winter hat with ear flaps and a long back that covered the back of my head to the neck and the front had a flap that covered my forehead. The tonneau cover had a zipper up the middle so I could unzip the driver compartment and leave the rest of the cover in place. All in all, it worked pretty well. Thinking about it now it was a crazy thing to do but I wanted that MG and those were the sacrifices made to enjoy it.

On Memorial Day, 1956, it met it demise when a drunk came around a blind curve and hit me in the left front. Somewhere there is a picture and if I can find it will post it later.

Sorry to ramble on like this but us old folks don't have much to talk about and rehashing some of the crazier things we did in our youth bring a BIG smile.
That's a great story, I had a friend with a bug eye sprite, so I feel some of your pain in the winter when riding in his lol. You were a brave soul lol. Electrics by Lucas, the prince of darkness to boot lol. But damn you were cool driving that and that's no lie. I did a couple of road rally's right out of high school in Arkansas driving a 63 V dub bug I had, Same thing, timed events but ours were out in the boonies on dirt roads. Little to nothing heater, defrost by vigorous wiping with your sleeve lol.

Spent last week in Czechia, Austria and Bavaria for the inaugural running of the Central European Rally.
Seeing these Rally1 cars in person was fantastic. These things are flying by so fast it's quite difficult to take a picture of them.
@Revman will be pleased I got to see one of HIS Toyotas win the World Championship.
View attachment 73823
View attachment 73824
View attachment 73825
View attachment 73826
View attachment 73827
View attachment 73828
View attachment 73829
Freaking amazing! I am trying to plan a trip to Finland...you saw Kalle!!!!! Amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom