Video Game thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Entertainment Center' started by Reck, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Mr. Gregory

Mr. Gregory Randa "Quiet Storm" Markos

So, I'm about halfway through Route A (first playthrough) of Nier: Automata, and man, the music is amazing. Like, it may be the absolute best music I've ever heard in a video game. Not gonna post any YouTube videos of it on here since none of them appear to be official videos, but check it out if you get a chance. I'm going to go buy it right now.

2. Mr. Gregory

I just bought the Digital Deluxe Edition. Can't wait to play as Kairi, Ronda, and many others!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mr. Gregory

So, WWE 2K19 can be fun at times, but it's somewhat difficult compared to previous games in the series. I'm having a lot of trouble finding the right gameplay balance with it, and that's frustrating me.

On a whim, I decided to pick up the standard edition of Fire Pro Wrestling World for $37 on sale on the PSN store. Unlike Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, which I bought for my PS3 for $10, I'm actually enjoying it. The graphics and music are better than in Returns (which is understandable, because Returns was a PS2 port). The gameplay is much more simplistic than that of the WWE 2K games, but it's so fun and is actually a lot deeper than it appears to be at first. Downloading custom wrestlers/ring parts in World is just so much easier than in Returns. I already have a nice sized selection of male and female WWE superstars to use.

Supposedly they may eventually allow us to add custom music to the wrestlers' entrances, but I won't hold my breath. Even without that, I can already see myself having a lot of fun with this game.

2 Sweet likes this.
  4. Mr. Gregory

This thread is quickly turning into my own personal echo chamber, but for anyone who has or decides to buy WWE 2K19, keep in mind that all of the AI reversal sliders in the Game Balancing section work in the exact opposite way that they're supposed to work.

This post on the 2K forums explains it. Basically, until this is patched, setting a higher number value on any given AI reversal slider will make the AI reverse less in that particular situation, not more - and vice-versa.

https://forums.2k.com/showthread.ph...2ebc0fcd35b824cb1a666&p=15139015#post15139015

This knowledge pretty much saved the game for me. I was so happy, I had to register for 2K's forums to thank everybody for discovering it. :lol2:

5. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

I haven't really watched wrestling in over 15 years now, but I have WWE 2K17 and it's a pretty decent game, but for whatever reason I have more fun with the old N64 games like WCW/nWo Revenge and WWF War Zone. The last wrestling game I truly enjoyed was WrestleMania X8 on the GameCube. For some reason I can't really get into the next gen wrestling games.

I bought Forza Horizon 4 last week, and it's been a lot of fun, but I hear the online multiplayer is complete garbage and the single player mode doesn't seem like it will hold my attention much longer. There doesn't feel like there's much of a point to it, as far as goals or whatever. Once you unlock the "seasons" there doesn't really seem to be any reward/motivation to keep going.

I'll probably pick up Black Ops 4 soon, and eventually the new NASCAR game too. I rarely play video games these days, but I usually spend more time playing over the winter months.

Blaze and Mr. Gregory like this.
  6. Mr. Gregory

Yeah, I really liked WWE 2K17. I also loved the AKI/THQ WCW and WWF games on the N64.

If you have a PS4 or play PC games at all (or even if you don't, honestly) you should seriously look into Fire Pro Wrestling World. It's so much fun. In a nutshell, unlike in the 2K games, you pretty much have complete control over your experience with it. It's entirely timing based, not a button masher. It's as easy and simple or difficult and complex as you want it to be, and it is endlessly customizable. The WWE edits that people have up are absolutely on point.

2 Sweet likes this.
  7. kkfan91

kkfan91 Taking a 10-200

Red Dead Redemption 2 launch trailer

Ilovedthe90s likes this.
  8. Mr. Gregory

I finally learned how to play WWE 2K19 couple of weeks ago. I've reset all of the sliders back to their defaults and am playing on the hardest difficulty level, Legend. It's pretty fun, and I've had some great matches.

I'm currently rotating between that, Fire Pro Wrestling World, Gran Turismo Sport, and this better than expected little Japanese action RPG, Nights of Azure.

nightsofazure.jpg

I picked it up on a whim on the PS Store for a little over $20 with a PS Plus discount. I'm a sucker for games with good music and female characters, so it shouldn't really surprise me that I ended up liking this. It's not a super long game (for an RPG), nor is it super difficult (so far, at least), but I'm really digging it. The gameplay isn't anything revolutionary for this genre, but it's not terrible by any means, and the music and story are more than enough to keep me coming back for more. There's mellow, melancholy piano and string music during most of the cutscenes, and then during the battles, you mostly hear symphonic power metal. It's awesome.

The music in this trailer is what initially drew me in. It has a bikini shot for, like, a split second, and it's not remotely worth the click if that's all you're interested in seeing. Still, I'm not getting in trouble. Click the link to watch it on YouTube.

Nights of Azure trailer

9. Mr. Gregory

I've pretty much finished Nights of Azure. Apparently there's a "true ending" to unlock, which I'll get to doing eventually. After having essentially no real trouble throughout the game, the final boss was, all of a sudden, impossible. I just leveled up a bit more, and that did the trick. I ended up liking the game a lot more than I thought I would. It was $20 well spent.

I grinded the Blue Moon Speedway race in Gran Turismo Sport last weekend to unlock the $20,000,000 Ferrari 330 P4. Yeah, it's a cool car and all, but it's not nearly worth the amount of time that it took to unlock it. That was a huge disappointment.

I ended up re-downloading Assetto Corsa, and after going back and forth with both games this week, I think I'll be playing AC exclusively. GT Sport has a few good tracks that AC doesn't have, is a little more up to date than AC, and is definitely a fun game. AC is just so much more fun for me, though, even with a controller. It feels more like an actual racing simulator and less like a game. Plus, GT Sport takes up way too much hard drive space, so it had to go. I mean, nearly 100 gigs, and I can't even save my progress offline? Really?

10. Mr. Gregory

I picked up Shadow of the Tomb Raider on sale on the PS Store for $30 with a PS Plus discount. They've got a big Black Friday sale going on.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is $30 right now too. I was thinking about it, primarily because you can play as a female character, but ehh, I never really got into those games and don't see myself starting now.

NBA 2K19 is also on sale for $30, but I don't know if I'll be buying that since I'm still enjoying 2K18. I don't really follow basketball and am content with the community roster updates in 2K18. I also heard that the AI's defense is tougher in 2K19. Yeah, I think I'm good.

11. RacerrecaR

RacerrecaR Orange cone

Anybody here play Metal Gear Solid V?

12. Mr. Gregory

I randomly stumbled upon this charming looking little kart racing game while browsing through the PS Store a couple of weeks ago.

They wanted $30 for it at the time, and I thought that price was a bit too steep, so I held off. Then I bought NASCAR Heat 3 the other day, another more arcade racer as opposed to the sims/simcades I've been playing, and that made me want to get this game even more. The price is possibly still a little steep at $25, but I went ahead and bought it last night.

I've only beaten the first two cups in the career mode, and I expect the AI and tracks to become frustrating as I get further into it. So far, though, it's actually pretty fun and has definitely exceeded my low expectations. Most of the characters are female, which I dig, and it looks and plays like it was made with heart. It's obviously no Mario Kart killer, but I like it.