Was the 2017 NASCAR season a good season?

what do you mean? Rev

Think that sometimes it's doom and gloom. Three quarters of the people who care are pretty happy. Should translate into a positive prognosis for the health of the sport IMO....or am I missing something?

Gluck has been covering Nascar for 14 years I believe, I find his opinions to be biased towards Nascar most of the time.

Think that sometimes it's doom and gloom. Three quarters of the people who care are pretty happy. Should translate into a positive prognosis for the health of the sport IMO....or am I missing something?
That is one of the reasons I follow Gluck and some others in the sport, catch Dirty Mo sometimes etc. Around here we have quite a few doing Bill O'Rilely impressions and mimicking sport talk show hosts.

That is one of the reasons I follow Gluck and some others in the sport, catch Dirty Mo sometimes etc. Around here we have quite a few doing Bill O'Rilely impressions and mimicking sport talk show hosts.
Lmao. ..when the sport is tanking, it's not talking points, it's reality.

Jeff Gluck has 76% of respondents saying that this was a good season. Thoughts regarding the accuracy of such an assessment.....This would mean that three in every four posts here would say that this wasn't a good season. Seems generous to me. Do the members here have a problem, or is Jeff's data BS? Discuss.

I don't think it matters what people think but it does matter what they do and each year less people go to the track and watch from home. What I think and 55 cents will get me a senior black coffee at McD's.

Yes correct...I watched a total of 3 ...start to finish, but saw quite a few of the last 20 laps of many races. Iowa, Daytona, and Homestead I watched start to finish.
LMAO. You are clearly a highly qualified expert who is able to comment about current events in Nascar. Yes sir, a genuine expert... NOT.

BTW, Iowa doesn't host a cup race... just minor league stuff with minor league rules and minor league drivers only. And your often-repeated mantra about ride height, get the cars off the ground? The minor leagues have a ride height rule. So does Daytona, BTW, for their cup races. And since when does Daytona racing have anything to do with downforce or detrimental effects of dirty air? Sheesh.

As for Homestead, did you notice the nearly constant side-by-side racing? I enjoyed that guys could - and did - pass up by the wall, down on the bottom, and in the middle groove too. Awesome.

You were the one that mentioned''manufactured''...... that sure resembles WWF or WWE.......

Exactly. ..insert foot...and own it

Y'all are hung up on that word but not using it the same way I was, that's why I said it was semantic. Some formats, by their nature, generate/manufacture/create/result in more drama than other formats. I don't think that can be debated and I don't think it means that the formats that create more drama than others are somehow fake.

The college football playoff system is more dramatic than the old bowl system that awarded the championship based on final voting. It's not inaccurate to say that in going to a two-round single elimination format, college football went to a format that manufactures more drama. I don't think this is anything controversial. That's what the word means in that context - it doesn't mean fake.

Y'all are hung up on that word but not using it the same way I was, that's why I said it was semantic. Some formats, by their nature, generate/manufacture/create/result in more drama than other formats. I don't think that can be debated and I don't think it means that the formats that create more drama than others are somehow fake.

The college football playoff system is more dramatic than the old bowl system that awarded the championship based on final voting. It's not inaccurate to say that in going to a two-round single elimination format, college football went to a format that manufactures more drama. I don't think this is anything controversial. That's what the word means in that context - it doesn't mean fake.
Football and nascar are two very different formats. The college football play off system was long over due, Nascars' so called playoff is just that.... manufactured drama, with gimmicks thrown in for good measure.

LMAO. You are clearly a highly qualified expert who is able to comment about current events in Nascar. Yes sir, a genuine expert... NOT.

BTW, Iowa doesn't host a cup race... just minor league stuff with minor league rules and minor league drivers only. And your often-repeated mantra about ride height, get the cars off the ground? The minor leagues have a ride height rule. So does Daytona, BTW, for their cup races. And since when does Daytona racing have anything to do with downforce or detrimental effects of dirty air? Sheesh.

As for Homestead, did you notice the nearly constant side-by-side racing? I enjoyed that guys could - and did - pass up by the wall, down on the bottom, and in the middle groove too. Awesome.
Iowa has an Xfinity race, and aero push is just as much a factor in that series as it is in Cup. And yes I'm qualified to comment on Cup racing, I've been attending Cup races and watching them for years. Just because I didn't watch every race from start to finish and waste my time, doesn't mean I don't know what's going on. All one needs to do is watch the last 25 laps of a race, it's the most exciting part, the rest is just is boring crap. Daytona has everything to do with Aero more so than most races, both Daytona and Dega are all about clean air and the ability to draft, you don't know what you are talking about.

thought the season was great! cant wait for next season. i will be in daytona with the fam.. no complaints this way, i do wish they wouldnt count laps during caution after each stage though. I also love seeing the fast pit stops. with only 5 men now over thats going to make it slower. i loved seeing those 11 sec or 12 sec stops. im guessing it will be around 15-16 now. just hope going down to 5 no one gets hurt and we dont have tires going everywhere every week

Overall the racing was ok, not write home about great or hang your head in shame. it did beat watching golf or tennis..The stage format needs tweaking if not just abandoned.
I've attended many races and watched for years. This season I watched every cup race, all but one Xfinity and sad to say only half of the truck races. :(
I base my opinion on watching almost all of the races, not just a couple.

Overall the racing was ok, not write home about great or hang your head in shame. it did beat watching golf or tennis..The stage format needs tweaking if not just abandoned.
I've attended many races and watched for years. This season I watched every cup race, all but one Xfinity and sad to say only half of the truck races. :(
I base my opinion on watching almost all of the races, not just a couple.
And watching all those races you pretty much have the same opinion as mine, maybe a little less harsh, but I think both of us can agree Nascar is in trouble.

I enjoyed watching it. Honestly, I can barely remember what happened more than five or six races back. I don't remember enough from one season to the next to be able to compare them.

omg... thank you for saying that so I don't have to.

There were some good races and the usual long boring ones. It was mostly a downer year for me since Junior wasn't sniffing the top 5 much at all. Chase didn't win a race. I wanted to see that happen this year. I was happy for Truex, but I didn't care for all the Toyotas dominating. I have nothing again Toyota but my drivers weren't in them, so...

I think the stages worked well, but, I'll say it once again............ Don't throw a caution!!!

My bottom line is I think there's plenty of room for improvement.

omg... thank you for saying that so I don't have to.

There were some good races and the usual long boring ones. It was mostly a downer year for me since Junior wasn't sniffing the top 5 much at all. Chase didn't win a race. I wanted to see that happen this year. I was happy for Truex, but I didn't care for all the Toyotas dominating. I have nothing again Toyota but my drivers weren't in them, so...

I think the stages worked well, but, I'll say it once again............ Don't throw a caution!!!

My bottom line is I think there's plenty of room for improvement.
No caution and Kyle Busch wins homestead by 10 secs :angry:

Stunning how Harvick outperformed Kez in the same hamstrung car. There must have been potential somewhere in that brick. I would have never thought that SHR would out-engineer Penske. Never.
I think in this case, the difference is the CC, not the engineers. BTW doesn't Toyota and Ford try to
give all their cars the benefit of engineering tech?

Racing was OK mainly because of the "stages". More CC will see the advantages from this season and adjust their cars for that. Next year will be much better simple because of the new drivers who are grateful to be making $500,000 rather than those with 60 million and are pissed that they are needed to drive the whole race now. 3 more drivers and the privileged bunch will all be gone.

Racing was OK mainly because of the "stages". More CC will see the advantages from this season and adjust their cars for that. Next year will be much better simple because of the new drivers who are grateful to be making $500,000 rather than those with 60 million and are pissed that they are needed to drive the whole race now. 3 more drivers and the privileged bunch will all be gone.
Get rid of the stages, fix the cars or are we going to have to wait until 2019 when the next generation car comes out? Is this car going to be radically different? I highly doubt it and it will most likely have the same issues this current one has.

Get rid of the stages, fix the cars or are we going to have to wait until 2019 when the next generation car comes out? Is this car going to be radically different? I highly doubt it and it will most likely have the same issues this current one has.
I totally agree with "fix the cars" France for some reason thinks higher speeds is good racing and that has proven not to be true. I grew up driving/watching races at local tracks and we always had heat races before the main event. What is the advantage of hanging in there until 50 to go then start racing? I like the stages and with a little tweaking it will be good racing.

I totally agree with "fix the cars" France for some reason thinks higher speeds is good racing and that has proven not to be true. I grew up driving/watching races at local tracks and we always had heat races before the main event. What is the advantage of hanging in there until 50 to go then start racing? I like the stages and with a little tweaking it will be good racing.
Just shorten the races to 250-300 miles, it's senseless to watch them follow the leader for 300 miles then really race the last 100. The atention span of younger fans is too short these days, shorter races would be more exciting.

I think in this case, the difference is the CC, not the engineers. BTW doesn't Toyota and Ford try to
give all their cars the benefit of engineering tech?

Toyota for sure. Pericak was doing of good job of trying to copy the Toyota/TRD model until he was shuffled out. Hard to tell what the direction will be now. Brad says they are in for a drubbing, so, you know, if Brad says it, the future can't be bright. BTW--CC's are engineers mostly--or are asked to think that way IMO.

I was wondering if the people that enjoy Nascar ever try and influence non fans to check the series out and if so how has it been successful?

I thought it was a good season, compared to 2015 and 2016, the stage racing helped besides the end of stage cautions which is ridiculous but the racing was for the most part better

Cool to see Truex win a title but the gap between Toyota and Ford/Chevy was a massive let down, hopefully it is fixed in 2018

I was wondering if the people that enjoy Nascar ever try and influence non fans to check the series out and if so how has it been successful?
I did, brought some friends down to Kentucky. They don't watch races on TV but enjoyed seeing the speed and all that in person. They liked being there in person but it didn't change either of their views on racing, and they didn't start watching it or following it.

Just shorten the races to 250-300 miles, it's senseless to watch them follow the leader for 300 miles then really race the last 100. The atention span of younger fans is too short these days, shorter races would be more exciting.
I feel like I speak for a lot of young people in that attention span isn't really that short for things we enjoy. Maybe I'm (or those around me are) an outlier but watching entire football, basketball or even baseball games is something young people do. I suppose growing up with everything in the world available to see on phones and all makes us more selective of what we pay attention to. We know good and well there are infinite alternatives to watching something uninteresting, and doing or watching literally anything else is an option we've grown up with and are used to.

Back
Top Bottom