Watkins Glen Pre-Race thread

All I know is when I am watching NBC I am continually saying to myself why don't you guys shut the hell up and let me enjoy the race my way with my thoughts not nascar 101, or Dr Phil. or some other made up drama that they try to hammer home the whole race to fit their B.S. narrative. Just show the damn race. THEY are the show not you.

Elliott has no road course wins and is due for one this year.

On the other hand...Reddick has shown up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Watkins Glen looks weird to attend, I think it’s a must to have a scanner and binoculars there

Even if the infield was clear, I don't think binos would be much help. They restrict your view too much. While you're looking at those few degrees of field of view waiting for something to happen, eight other things are happening elsewhere on the parts of the course you aren't currently looking at.

You're better off setting up near a jumbotron. Part of attending a road course is accepting you're not going to be able to see all of it at once (rovals excepted).

Even if the infield was clear, I don't think binos would be much help. They restrict your view too much. While you're looking at those few degrees of field of view waiting for something to happen, eight other things are happening elsewhere on the parts of the course you aren't currently looking at.

You're better off setting up near a jumbotron. Part of attending a road course is accepting you're not going to be able to see all of it at once (rovals excepted).
This post is exactly why I’ve never been there, but live less than 2 hours away. I’ve been to almost 30 oval races, some I’ve gotten on planes for. Going to give it a try because they pack 90-100,000 people in every year there so it can’t be that bad, and I am really high on NASCAR right now with this great season.

This post is exactly why I’ve never been there, but live less than 2 hours away. I’ve been to almost 30 oval races, some I’ve gotten on planes for. Going to give it a try because they pack 90-100,000 people in every year there so it can’t be that bad, and I am really high on NASCAR right now with this great season.
This is a part of the appeal of Daytona and Talladega that I always underestimate. Sure, the joints are fricking huge but you don't have to watch the entire track. Everyone is jammed together so you only have to look at a small part at any one time. Binos are probably very effective there.

This is also why I think attending the Indy oval is a huge waste of money. The infield is built up so you can only see a small portion at a time; there aren't plates so the field gets spread out with racing happening everywhere; the long straightaways make for lousy sight lines; and unlike a road course, you can't even get up and move around much. Yeah, yeah, I hear you, "The history, the experience!" I'm spending money to watch race cars, not for history and experience.

This is also why I think attending the Indy oval is a huge waste of money. The infield is built up so you can only see a small portion at a time; there aren't plates so the field gets spread out with racing happening everywhere; the long straightaways make for lousy sight lines; and unlike a road course, you can't even get up and move around much. Yeah, yeah, I hear you, "The history, the experience!" I'm spending money to watch race cars, not for history and experience.

That’s why the Xfinity Series needs to move to IRP, make the Brickyard 400 race that more unique of an occasion every year for NASCAR.

IMS definitely has lousy sightlines but I also think they have more video boards.

That’s why the Xfinity Series needs to move to IRP, make the Brickyard 400 race that more unique of an occasion every year for NASCAR.

IMS definitely has lousy sightlines but I also think they have more video boards.
If I wanted to spend most of the race watching the video board, I could stay home and do it for free.

If I wanted to spend most of the race watching the video board, I could stay home and do it for free.

That’s fine and maybe your house & living room/entertainment area is awesome, but the atmosphere at IMS has to be pretty cool. It’s not like you can’t see 40-50% of the track still.

This is also why I sincerely hope New Hampshire motor speedway never comes off the schedule. Both tracks are within driving distance from me, but if we lose NHMS, I'm going to have to start buying tickets to the Glen. And it just doesn't seem fun

This is also why I sincerely hope New Hampshire motor speedway never comes off the schedule. Both tracks are within driving distance from me, but if we lose NHMS, I'm going to have to start buying tickets to the Glen. And it just doesn't seem fun

New Hampshire is a solid track out in the woods, I hope it stays on the schedule.

I like the schedule where’s its at other than maybe 1-2 tracks with 2 dates giving a race up every other year so a track like Portland or Iowa or Road America again (if Chicago sticks for years and years to come),could get a race.

That's some luxury problem you guys have. There are no oval events anywhere near me that I could attend.

Wouldn’t call it a luxury, I don’t know why the Euro Series stopped going to Venray half mile & that other one that was like a parking lot with banking in the turns but was still a workable oval.

If you stand/sit in a good overtaking spot you're not gonna get bored.

That's some luxury problem you guys have. There are no oval events anywhere near me that I could attend.
As someone who has attended Mid Ohio many times this is spot on. It’s just fine as long as you have some way to watch the broadcast, similar to attending a golf tournament.

Wednesday and I haven’t seen anything about if Kurt is driving. Hope this means he’ll be back in the #45 on Sunday.

Elliott has no road course wins and is due for one this year.

On the other hand...Reddick has shown up.

Yep. Used to just have to cover the 19. Now Reddick is screwing up the show for 9 fans. :XXROFL:

Im guessing it’s gonna be 15 cars + Kurt Busch in Round 1. But idk what the decision to do here is.

Must still be pretty questionable if he won't even start for the points, run a lap at the back, and get out.

I'm afraid 2022 is gonna be it for Kurt. Damn shame to go this way (if he does). I'm a believer in second chances and always root for a redemption story and that has been Kurt.
Nah, I personally see him coming back next season if he is not in shape to race currently.

I think Kurt will go the Dale Jr direction, finish out the last season and call it. The only way I do not see Kurt returning is if his medical team tells him that it is necessary to retire. Next year is his last year on his "multi-year" deal with 23XI. It would be a shame if Kurt was not able to retire on his own terms.

Been awhile since I've been able to get to a race but I thought I had a chance to attend the Saturday events at the Glen. When I called to get a pr of tickets I was told I had to buy the 3 day package for $160 each, there are no single day tickets available anymore. I'm not paying $320 just to watch some practice, qualifying and an Exfinety race. Track owners are so greedy, no wonder the stands are only half full if that.

Back
Top Bottom