WEC 2024

I have no idea how well the BMW will translate to the WEC while most everyone else has a notebook built up from visiting the tracks last year, but they have the most interesting lineups IMO. Pretty much an all-star cast of guys who were elite in GTs/DTM in the past.

Proton’s #77 entry has a pretty great lineup and fantastic livery.

I have no idea how well the BMW will translate to the WEC while most everyone else has a notebook built up from visiting the tracks last year,
The ACO has said they are revising the entire BOP process, so who knows what they will come up with? BMW was reasonably competitive in IMSA, so they should at least be competitive with the other LMDh in WEC.

Meanwhile, Porsche is seeking approval for a new crankshaft that produces less vibration: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...1&cvid=7afe89caf6d04698b3748a047a49adda&ei=36

No public statement yet, but an interview with the Alfa CEO indicated they won’t be moving forward with a Hypercar program. Wouldn’t be a huge loss if they don’t, imo.

Maybe not a loss but it would be nice to have them. They could probably restyle a Ferrari and that would be a cheap way to get in and that would give us another cool car.

Maybe not a loss but it would be nice to have them. They could probably restyle a Ferrari and that would be a cheap way to get in and that would give us another cool car.
Ferrari and Alfa Romeo don’t have that kind of connection anymore since Ferrari got spun off about a decade ago, so that was never on the table. The only remaining connection is through the Agnelli family, but they’re not under the same corporate umbrella anymore.

Stellantis has enough going on with the Peugeot project as well. Need to get their money’s worth with that first and foremost.

Apparently, the whole update revolves around tire size selection.

I'm not surprised they will be running a wing. Those little fins look like they were designed to support a wing. I read the car is going to look a little different, but I'll bet it's still going to be weird.

Apparently, the whole update revolves around tire size selection.

I'm not surprised they will be running a wing. Those little fins look like they were designed to support a wing. I read the car is going to look a little different, but I'll bet it's still going to be weird.
Yeah, it’ll wind up being pretty wholesale changes. They were the only ones left on the old tire size, iirc. The wing won’t end up looking too prominent, will probably be pretty low-slung, but overall should help change aero balance/weight distribution quite a bit better.

Catching up on driver announcements from the past week or so - Doriane Pin is back with the Dames after a year with Prema in LMP2.

CGR will bring in a third driver for the #2 on a select basis, will probably stick with just two drivers for the 6-hour races. Bourdais gets first nod at Qatar.

This livery is really nice, especially compared to the bare carbon trash they revealed for the F1 livery next to it this morning.

CrowdStrike by APR (LMP2) and Pure Rxcing (GT3) secured the final two Le Mans auto bids this morning via class championships in the Asian Le Mans Series. They each have earned a total of three bids now, so whether they choose to take up the third entry at Le Mans will decide whether there are another one or two at-large spots for other teams. Selection committee plans to release the LM24 entry list next Monday the 19th.

Le Mans entry list released - 23 Hypercar / 16 LMP2 / 23 LMGT3

Notably, both IMSA Cadillacs, one IMSA Penske Porsche, and the IMSA Lambo all add to the Hypercar field. Proton applied to add a second 963 of their own but wound up first on the reserve list.

IMG_1974.jpeg

Prologue moved to Monday and Tuesday. Makes for five days of track activity between Monday and Saturday.

I want to be careful not to draw too many conclusions from testing times, but at least on the surface the results are encouraging. The field looks pretty tight.
Yeah, I don’t expect the newcomers to be quick or consistent for a while, but if we could have Toyota/Ferrari/Porsche/Cadillac all running similar race pace I’ll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom