What 25 drivers do you add to make the 75 Greatest Nascar Drivers for the 75th anniversary?

Screenshot_20230413_194647_Chrome.jpg
Wade Cole, a drivers driver. Met him @ Loudon in 2008, and the most humble person you could ever meet. He Loved racing. He Drove his hauler to Bristol a few times for the Mods, never won, but always finished...

They only have 25 to pick. They picked the first 50 back in 1998.
I know. I an sure it is impossibile to please everyone and I am nitpicking but some careers intersect with getting in, both with the first 50 and the later 25.

I wish they would have reconsidered all fron scratch for the update to 75 drivers. It probably would have meant one or two from the original 50 would be dropped but I think it would be a more accurate methodology.

I know. I an sure it is impossibile to please everyone and I am nitpicking but some careers intersect with getting in, both with the first 50 and the later 25.

I wish they would have reconsidered all fron scratch for the update to 75 drivers. It probably would have meant one or two from the original 50 would be dropped but I think it would be a more accurate methodology.
I think 75 is too many, but it's symbolic anyway, they get a plaque, a thank you for being in the series. That's cool.

I can agree with this tbh. I think starting completely over would be good. Most of the original 50 would’ve definitely made it again. But with them saying back then “in no order.” If 2 drop off well then it looks like they was 49 and 50. Which I guess they don’t want.

So 10 down 15 to go...

Some of my guesses/probable shoe ins

1) Harvick
2) Kurt
3) Kyle
4) Edwards
5) Johnson
6) Truex
7) Dale Jr
8) Jeff Burton
9) Bobby Labonte
10) Clint Bowyer

And that's when I run out of modern era easy ones. So either we are pulling some out of the past where we have the obvious already or off the wall names

Same possible names I can think of and my reasons no matter how bad.

Donnie Allison

Mario Andretti, sure not a NASCAR driver but he won a 500 so I'm sure they'd put him on because he's Mario.

Jack Smith, had a lot of wins...but also a lot of things I've read about him say he was pretty racist...which won't fly in 2023.

Wendell Scott, HOF same reasons here.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr...yeah I don't believe it either but Sterling Marlin is mostly in off 2 500s and Randy LaJoie off 2 Xfinity titles Ricky has both.

Michael Waltrip...again if we are just taking anyone who won multiple 500s

Ward Burton?

This really does get hard as you go because the number of truly great NASCAR drivers is much lower than the number of winning NASCAR drivers.

So 10 down 15 to go...

1) Harvick
2) Kurt
3) Kyle
4) Edwards
5) Johnson
6) Truex
7) Dale Jr
8) Jeff Burton
9) Bobby Labonte
10) Clint Bowyer

And that's when I run out of modern era easy ones. So either we are pulling some out of the past where we have the obvious already or off the wall names

Donnie Allison

Mario Andretti, sure not a NASCAR driver but he won a 500 so I'm sure they'd put him on because he's Mario.

Jack Smith, had a lot of wins...but also a lot of things I've read about him say he was pretty racist...which won't fly in 2023.

Ricky Stenhouse Jr...yeah I don't believe it either but Sterling Marlin is mostly in off 2 500s and Randy LaJoie off 2 Xfinity titles Ricky has both.

Ward Burton?

This really does get hard as you go because the number of truly great NASCAR drivers is much lower than the number of winning NASCAR drivers.
The first ten all seem pretty likely to me, even though I'd put a question mark behind Bowyer.
I would add Doug Coby and maybe Matt Crafton, Bill Rexford was the only Cup Champion not included in the 50 greatest drivers, maybe he gets in this time.
Wendell Scott should be considered IMO

The first ten all seem pretty likely to me, even though I'd put a question mark behind Bowyer.
I would add Doug Coby and maybe Matt Crafton, Bill Rexford was the only Cup Champion not included in the 50 greatest drivers, maybe he gets in this time.
Wendell Scott should be considered IMO
Yeah Bowyer was late he has 10 wins but no big wins. Coby or Bonsignore out of the modifieds would make sense possibly for both. Rexford is weird, he raced for such a short period amd only had the 1 win and the title it's hard to judge him especially since I never saw him race

Oh and duh I obviously missed Keselowski

So 10 down 15 to go...

1) Harvick
2) Kurt
3) Kyle
4) Edwards
5) Johnson
6) Truex
7) Dale Jr
8) Jeff Burton
9) Bobby Labonte
10) Clint Bowyer

Donnie Allison

Ward Burton?

Micheal Waltrip, and Stenehouse Jr is a big Hell No in my opinion.
Ward Burton was my favorite during his cup career but I couldn't vote for him as one of the 75 as much as I would enjoy seeing him recognized. I wish he would have had a shot in better equipment, I think the talent was there, it just never materialized.
I feel bad disagreeing with you I appreciate your racing knowledge and opinion.

I wish I could agree with Clint Bowyer and Donnie Allison but my reasons are similar to a Ward Burton denial.

Mario was Mario but he didn't run enough cup races imo to factor into a top 75 pick.

Wendell Scott was a breakthrough driver his story needs to be heard and told but I can't rate him a top 75 either. Bubba Wallace is still young it would be great if he has enough future sucess to make the top 100 on the next 25 years.

I wish I could make a case to eradicate Jeff Burton from the top 75 simply for being a gerbil.

Note: All of this above just my opinion, YMMV.

Ward Burton was my favorite during his cup career but I couldn't vote for him as one of the 75 as much as I would enjoy seeing him recognized. I wish he would have had a shot in better equipment, I think the talent was there, it just never materialized.

I wish I could agree with Clint Bowyer and Donnie Allison but my reasons are similar to a Ward Burton denial.

Mario was Mario but he didn't run enough cup races imo to factor into a top 75 pick.

Wendell Scott was a breakthrough driver his story needs to be heard and told but I can't rate him a top 75 either. Bubba Wallace is still young it would be great if he has enough future sucess to make the top 100 on the next 25 years.

I wish I could make a case to eradicate Jeff Burton from the top 75 simply for being a gerbil.

Like I said I don't like those picks either, I'm just not sure of other names that haven't been mentioned.

Mikey is probably in if nothing else just because of how unfortunately memorable his first win was. Not saying that’s necessarily a good thing and maybe I’m wrong

People are definitely naming names I didn't think about earlier, Hornaday and Sprague spring to mind.

So 10 down 15 to go...

1) Harvick
2) Kurt
3) Kyle
4) Edwards
5) Johnson
6) Truex
7) Dale Jr
8) Jeff Burton
9) Bobby Labonte
10) Clint Bowyer

Donnie Allison

Ward Burton?

I wouldn’t be shocked if Edwards wanted no part of this.

He straight walked away from the sport after the final screw job he got in 2016.

I kind of agree. This looks hokey, cheap and something you’d get at your high school sports pep rally. The flip side is, what do you get these fellas? I don’t think 75 Rolex’s are in the nascar gift budget. A conundrum if you ask me.

I kind of agree. This looks hokey, cheap and something you’d get at your high school sports pep rally. The flip side is, what do you get these fellas? I don’t think 75 Rolex’s are in the nascar gift budget. A conundrum if you ask me."

I thought the same. When I first saw the cars bring giving away my thought was "Oh those are really cool diecast, wonder what else they received". Apparently nothing. Wonder if they are doing some sort of dinner or ceremony get together or something?

I kind of agree. This looks hokey, cheap and something you’d get at your high school sports pep rally. The flip side is, what do you get these fellas? I don’t think 75 Rolex’s are in the nascar gift budget. A conundrum if you ask me.

Maybe Rick can donate 75 Corvettes

I thought the same. When I first saw the cars bring giving away my thought was "Oh those are really cool diecast, wonder what else they received". Apparently nothing. Wonder if they are doing some sort of dinner or ceremony get together or something?
That would be a tremendous idea, tied in with the season banquet

Back
Top Bottom