What changes could realistically be made to the Next Gen car to improve the racing at drafting tracks?

furredracer88

Team Owner
I have heard fans and drives complain about the racing at drafting tracks in the Next Gen car. What changes could realistically be made to the car to improve the racing at drafting tracks?

First thing would be to get rid of the panzy Euro tire/wheel combo. Second thing is raise the minimum height (which just might be accomplished with a different tire/wheel combo, one that allows the car to make it to pit road). Third, raise the horsepower.

Please allow me to add a third completely ridiculous “solution” to the two above …

As we know, the laws of physics dictate that when velocity (speed) is doubled, all aerodynamic effects in play are magnified by a factor of 4. Therefore, in order to reduce / eliminate the adverse aero effects prevalent in NASCAR since its inception, race speeds at Daytona and Talladega will have to be reduced to approx 85 to 90 MPH.

Then there are those of us who think the entire concept of drafting tracks should be dumped like New Coke and Olestra potato chips. Modify the tracks so the cars can run without slowing the engines, like they do at Michigan or Fontana; or run the infield road courses.

Raise the car, Minimum Height 4". Get rid of the 18" low profile tire and go back to a 15" wheel. Max tread width 74". Its expensive but it will fix the problem, teams can actually put shock travel back in to the equation which opens the door to countless other setup options.

IMO, the car puts on boring races from a fan perspective. Unless, you like pack racing and 28-car pileups, of course. None of the drivers like the car.

I think the car is fine at the drafting tracks. It's the short track package that needs work.

Add HP (can easily be done without inflating costs, confirmed by engine builders)
Softer tire (Goodyear can do it whenever they want, IF they want to)
Mess with the gearing (if necessary, depending on the track)

Same things I always say. I think it would help with the road courses as well

Then there are those of us who think the entire concept of drafting tracks should be dumped like New Coke and Olestra potato chips. Modify the tracks so the cars can run without slowing the engines, like they do at Michigan or Fontana; or run the infield road courses.
So while in the infield I walked over Degas old road course...it's barely 2 lanes wide and clearly hasn't been paved in decades.

So while in the infield I walked over Degas old road course...it's barely 2 lanes wide and clearly hasn't been paved in decades.
It's good enough for 55 cars to run the world's second greatest sports car race. But paving is relatively cheap compared to what was spent on the grandstand improvements.

It's not going to be used anyway. NASCAR and the networks make too much money serving up 28-car wreckfests to casual viewers.

It's good enough for 55 cars to run the world's second greatest sports car race. But paving is relatively cheap compared to what was spent on the grandstand improvements.

It's not going to be used anyway. NASCAR and the networks make too much money serving up 28-car wreckfests to casual viewers.
I believe you're thinking of Daytona.

I believe you're thinking of Daytona.
Yes, I am. If that wasn't what 'Degas' referred to, then I'd appreciate clarification and context.

EDIT. Oh, wait, Talladega. Long day. Forget the bit about Rolex and grandstands, but the paving comment still applies. The savings in torn-up cars would go a long way towards funding that.

But again, nothing will happen while NASCAR caters to people who want to see tens of cars wreck repeatedly.

Yes, I am. If that wasn't what 'Degas' referred to, then I'd appreciate clarification and context.

EDIT. Oh, wait, Talladega. Long day. Forget the bit about Rolex and grandstands, but the paving comment still applies. The savings in torn-up cars would go a long way towards funding that.

But again, nothing will happen while NASCAR caters to people who want to see tens of cars wreck repeatedly.
Well, I continue to see your comments in the race thread, so that makes you one of those people Nascar is catering too right? Lol.

As I've said before, if these races didn't award points, I'd skip them like I do the All-Star and Clash races.
That is a new one I haven't heard that one before. I only watch because of the points. That is a good one. I think I will use that one the next time somebody accuses me of watching because of the wrecks.

I remember 215-22ph going into the corners at ACS, no packs, no need for help to pass, no 20 car crashes…

And the high speeds created a lot of separation between cars and the aero push created by the high speed made it difficult to pass.

We should probably not to look to Fontana for ways to improve the racing.

And the high speeds created a lot of separation between cars and the aero push created by the high speed made it difficult to pass.

Yep and the faster you go the harder it is to pass. It's physics. Nascar and the teams figured out how to make ludicrous speed work with the twisted sister cars and they created all of these blob cars with manufacturer names on them. But like why? It was a parade of single file racing.

The only reason Fontana became any good was because of tire degradation. It took 15 years for that place to age and produce good racing.

Yep and the faster you go the harder it is to pass. It's physics. Nascar and the teams figured out how to make ludicrous speed work with the twisted sister cars and they created all of these blob cars with manufacturer names on them. But like why? It was a parade of single file racing.
Same speeds at ACS, without the draft pack, with passing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Go find Cale's 83' Hardees Monte Carlo, wind tunnel it and then build a modern car with the same drag and downforce numbers. Then ask Waddell how much horsepower Cale had, and restrict the engines to THAT number. There would still be some issues, but it would be a good start. :p

All tire changes need to be done under Green flag condition---no condition on when during the race
teams have to use all sets provided to them before end of race
each tire will require minimum 5 green flag laps run on them
only exception........car is involved in a crash or spin causing flat spotted or flat tire

last Talladega race Goodyear gave them 6 sets for the race
6 green flag stops anytime during race

better yet do this at every race

this week at the Roval 8 sets of tires change them all under Green
8 green flag stops.

All tire changes need to be done under Green flag condition---no condition on when during the race
teams have to use all sets provided to them before end of race
each tire will require minimum 5 green flag laps run on them
only exception........car is involved in a crash or spin causing flat spotted or flat tire

last Talladega race Goodyear gave them 6 sets for the race
6 green flag stops anytime during race

better yet do this at every race

this week at the Roval 8 sets of tires change them all under Green
8 green flag stops.

You kinda have like a pit stop fetish do ya? (said in my best Ricky Bobby voice)

Add one of these to each car. Probably get the spare parts in too.

dumpster-30-yard-logo-c.png

Spit balling here, but I've heard these things multiple times:

750 HP - more on and off throttle
No undertray - less downforce, emphasize car set up
Smaller rear spoiler - see above
Make stage lengths closer to what a fuel load can run - hopefully more 100% throttle and less gas saving

Oh, and can Goodyear come up with an inner liner like the old days to stop all these beached whale cars after a spin?

That is a new one I haven't heard that one before. I only watch because of the points. That is a good one. I think I will use that one the next time somebody accuses me of watching because of the wrecks.
I gotta see how the wrecks affect the points. The more shake up the better. ;) :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom