What does everybody do for a living?

DSquad48

Team Owner
Howdy y'all!

As a regular member for some time now, I've enjoyed the virtual presence of a lot of you wonderful people. I was wonder if any of you would like to elaborate on what you do as a career/job. I wonder how many people who post here actually make a living by working on cars, racing, etc., as well as how many people do stuff that is completely unrelated.

For those who are currently in school, what are you studying, and what are your career goals for later in life?

Field Organizer Delaware Democratic Party, until next week, then I don't know. Degrees in Political Science and History would like to work for the state department.

work at an internet SP, and drive taxi

I work freight crew at a retail store and I do phone surveys starting Thursdays as well, but I'm only working out a 2 week notice at the retail store (5 Below) and then I'll only be doing the phone surveys from a call center.

I call people stupid professionally. Not kidding.
I hope that I won't be calling stupid people professionally when I start working as a phone survey worker Thursday, but I'm ready for anything. It will be a lot easier on my back than what I've been doing at 5 Below, plus it's a lot more hours, I can set my own schedule and it's a lot closer to where I'm staying right now.

I recently started working at a Subaru-specific repair facility. Always bitchin cars rolling through. It's pretty sweet.

I can't say I turn the wrenches though..:oops:

Electrical Engineering.

I'm currently going to a local college to get my AA in Liberal Arts and after I'm going to transfer back to a four year university. I might get into an program with Chrysler to get in a internship program and get my feet wet.

At the moment I work McDonalds and I'm going to start working for Amazon at their distribution Center soon, so I will have two jobs and school. How the hell I have time... I don't know, but I like the feeling of being tired after working. Makes me feel good and hopefully I graduate within the next 2-3 years.

Accounting - riveting stuff. I should get my Bachelor's in May and start a MAcc program later that month or in August.

Not the first thing I would chose to do, everything else equal, but it's probably what I'm best at.

Insurance agent

Also riveting stuff. :D

I like it though. The schedule works great for me. Not the most action-y job in the world but man is it rewarding.

Weld,fabricate and repair heavy equipment................... only part time now though

I have been driving race car haulers and working on race cars for about the past 18 years. Before that i owned a few trucks and trailers to make a living, and then ran a modified hot rod pulling tractor with 2 blown big block chevys in it for a hobby.

I have been in the custom restoration and rehab carpentry field, for 42 years. The challenges and rewards are the best part of my job. We go into jobs and dismantle parts of the structures. We save and invenory each piece, to use over again in the rebuild process. It is time consuming but very rewarding.
We do cloning of pieces no longer usable and put structures back together period correct. Mortise and tenoning, babbitting and doweling, hand hewning, etc. The type of work we do, seems to be a rapidly dying art, as there seems to be a trend of not caring about restorations.
My travels in this trade have taken me from, Maine to Ok, Co, SC, Chi-Town, NYC, Boston, Fl and many places between. I fgure I have 6 - 8 more good years left in me to continue.

I have been in the custom restoration and rehab carpentry field, for 42 years. The challenges and rewards are the best part of my job. We go into jobs and dismantle parts of the structures. We save and invenory each piece, to use over again in the rebuild process. It is time consuming but very rewarding.
We do cloning of pieces no longer usable and put structures back together period correct. Mortise and tenoning, babbitting and doweling, hand hewning, etc. The type of work we do, seems to be a rapidly dying art, as there seems to be a trend of not caring about restorations.
My travels in this trade have taken me from, Maine to Ok, Co, SC, Chi-Town, NYC, Boston, Fl and many places between. I fgure I have 6 - 8 more good years left in me to continue.
Need a 60 year old apprentice. I'd love to do that.

Need a 60 year old apprentice. I'd love to do that.

If I was in the hiring end, that would be possible. I am an indepedent 1099 contractor, if you know the trade goggle it and sign up.
If you're good in the trade , after a few jobs they call you. My down time is short and home life is sparse.

I am a mortgage loan officer with a side of wrenching my own short track car. Been in lending for a little while after a 12 year law enforcement career.

Been in agricultural equipment sales and development for over 30 years, it has taken me all over the world. The one thing I have found out in my line of work, no matter where you go in the world the people I deal with are just like all of us in the USA. Just folks trying to make it in the world, family, grow food, make some money. Only difference is a cultural thing, some very interesting, some not so much. My only complaint on the traveling is what we go through since 9-11.

Howdy y'all!

As a regular member for some time now, I've enjoyed the virtual presence of a lot of you wonderful people. I was wonder if any of you would like to elaborate on what you do as a career/job. I wonder how many people who post here actually make a living by working on cars, racing, etc., as well as how many people do stuff that is completely unrelated.

For those who are currently in school, what are you studying, and what are your career goals for later in life?

What do you do?

I guess it would be appropriate to respond to my own thread :biggrin:

I'm currently a junior in college; I'll begin applying to law schools in less than a year now and hope to eventually secure a job at some law firm. Not quite sure what I want to specialize in, but I've been leaning toward some sort of business/commercial law career. We'll see where it takes me, though.

When I'm not in school (i.e., during breaks), I work as a line cook at a local restaurant. It's fun but stressful from time to time. Free food that gets cooked "accidentally" is nice ;)

Retired entrepreneur. My Bride and I owned five different businesses (founding four of them) between 1964 and 1989 when we sold them and retired.

Last edited:
"QUIT WORKING SO MUCH MAGGOT"

The problem with being at a company for a long time is accumulated vacation. I was told last month I have to take all my time before the end of the year. No they won't pay it, and no, they can't just ignore it either. I worked through a rush in April and slipped a week's vacation then ... then the boss discovered that I'd unknowingly crossed a milestone to add one more week to the bank. Well, I'm already booked off the entire Christmas season so I can't take more there. So I booked one week off immediately last month, and booked a week this month. I was certain it was the second week I'd booked. Wrong.

It sucks because I'm literally the only one who can do my job .. and backlog piles up quick when I take time off.

I facilitate specific interests around the world, primarily aviation related.

Back
Top Bottom