What drivers do you think ENJOY racing?

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
We all know what they say for the cameras and their sponsors, but what drivers actually LIKE what they do? Theys folks get paid alot of $$$ to do their job, so I am sure that some are in the field just for the payday.

This issue was highlighted for me when watching some of Deegan's Videos. The kid is goofy, charismatic and LOVES what she does. For cup drivers, I am not sure who Id put in her category.

Clint Bowyer, possibly. Kurt Busch as well. Kyle Larson loves to race just about anything too, clearly loves going fast.

Any other thoughts?

It’s the guys who you hear run all sorts of cars outside of the NASCAR schedules whenever they can/could...it’s drivers who while they were successful in Cup they seem like they insisted on still running xfinity or trucks... it’s also drivers who keep racing when their nascar career is over, they’re all the sudden running dirt or whatever else they can get behind the wheel of...

kenny wallace
Ken Schrader
Tony Stewart
Kurt Busch
Kyle Larson
Kasey Kahne
Kyle Busch
Kevin Harvick
Denny Hamlin

John Force(that dude LOVES racing)

I feel like I could name a few people who honestly seemed like they enjoyed the NASCAR paycheck more so than the level of racing it was. I’m not going to go there because it would derail the topic... surely most of these drivers honestly enjoy racing, but when they retire at somewhat young ages and never have touched a steering wheel in the last couple years that I know of... I really wonder how that’s possible sometimes. And I’m not talking about a Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr... But there’s likable folks who haven’t done any racing since leaving cup, and that doesn’t add up 100%. They race their whole lives and then can completely walk away from every bit of it? I understand leaving NASCAR, but all racing?

I’ll vaguely leave it right there cause the topic is very thought provoking. I’m sure I’ve overlooked some of the guys who really enjoy racing, but that list at the top is what jumped out to me first.

It’s the guys who you hear run all sorts of cars outside of the NASCAR schedules whenever they can/could...it’s drivers who while they were successful in Cup they seem like they insisted on still running xfinity or trucks... it’s also drivers who keep racing when their nascar career is over, they’re all the sudden running dirt or whatever else they can get behind the wheel of...

kenny wallace
Ken Schrader
Tony Stewart
Kurt Busch
Kyle Larson
Kasey Kahne
Kyle Busch
Kevin Harvick
Denny Hamlin

John Force(that dude LOVES racing)

I feel like I could name a few people who honestly seemed like they enjoyed the NASCAR paycheck more so than the level of racing it was. I’m not going to go there because it would derail the topic... surely most of these drivers honestly enjoy racing, but when they retire at somewhat young ages and never have touched a steering wheel in the last couple years that I know of... I really wonder how that’s possible sometimes. And I’m not talking about Jeff Gordon. But there’s likable folks who haven’t done any racing since leaving cup, and that doesn’t add up 100%. They race their whole lives and then can completely walk away from every bit of it? I understand leaving NASCAR, but all racing?
great post,

SR looked at it as a job, the only job he knew how to do. Ive heard him say that. In an interview I think I can recall saying hed do whatever his sponsors said to do as he needed a ride.

I think they ALL pretty much like the racing, what they may not like so much is all of the dog and pony show that goes along with it, although there is la lot less of that than there used to be. I wonder how many would still do it if hey had to lead the lives that Dale Sr. and Jr., and Jeff Gordon did in their prime, where somebody wanted a piece of your time 24/7?

The people who can walk away from racing who are till young enough are those who were not very good at it as well as those (years ago) who walked away because they lost their nerve. ( Thinking of Rusty.)

I think they all enjoy it. Who loves it most? I’d say Kyle Busch. Dude is obsessed with the sport

Danica Loved Ricky and Ricky loves racing...is that enough to make her eligible?

Craig Breen who drives for Citreon in the WRC. YouTube him. The dude literally cries after stages because he enjoys it so much. It's kind of cool IMO.

Just my opinion but who wouldn't enjoy driving fast cars? You don't have to be winning to enjoy it. I am sure Norm Benning does and if you ever talked to Jenifer Jo Cobb you would know she is living her dream. Maybe a topic for another post, a discussion on what profession a driver would be in if they weren't racing.

Back
Top Bottom