What happened to Denny Hamlin? (In terms of his maturity)

JJ_14

Go Briscoe!
Denny Hamlin used to be one of the most respected drivers in the field. He took NASCAR by storm in his rookie season, which still stands as one of the best rookie campaigns in the history, right up there with Tony Stewart. He had maturity beyond his years & never got into trouble.

Fast forward to 2017, & he has a spat with Chase Elliott @ Martinsville. I think that incident started the downward spiral for Denny in a lot of aspects.

Then there's the fact that he hasn't been able to get through & win a championship. That might be getting to his head.

I still have respect for Hamlin, but if he keeps this up, he's going to surpass Kyle Busch as the most hated driver in the sport. If you told me that 5 years ago, I wouldn't have believed you. But here we are.

He's a hall of famer with fantastic accolades across the board. That said, Hamlin is one of the true veterans left in the field. He needs to understand that people look up to him & needs to set an example for both younger drivers & the fans.

What happened?

Used to be one of the most respected drivers in the field??? Ol' 10,000 races and all?

1664496781067.png

I go to work every day and part of work is being vanilla. Why would I want to spend my free time rooting for some flake? I mean how fn deprived can a fan get rooting for a driver because "well he's nice, nice and boring like me."

Sure, but you aren’t a mechanical engineer that designed the new car or an owner that approved it.

If you were either or both of those things, I could accept your opinion about Hamlin’s ticket selling value. Make sense?

Sure, but you aren’t a mechanical engineer that designed the new car or an owner that approved it.

If you were either or both of those things, I could accept your opinion about Hamlin’s ticket selling value. Make sense?

Hamlin does draw some of the loudest boo's of any driver so there is that

Loud booing is a primary indicator of why tickets are sold ... that’s how I know.

I’m also an engineer and I own a car.

Danny has his quirks and he may be even a little slightly kooky. He is a fun one to hate on. But he has great skills and he had a great career.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a first eligible ballet HoF inductee when the time arrives.

All I can say is I have NEVER bought a ticket to a race so I could root against someone.
I have NEVER complained about a driver being too vanilla.
I kind of like Denny the car owner, but I despise Denny the driver.
Despite my feelings, yes Denny is a first ballot Hall of Famer, and it's not even debatable.

He’s always been pretty unfiltered. The Keselowski and Logano riffs were closer to the beginning of his career than to today. He has real skin in the game now so there’s more for him to opine on…I’m good with it. His engagement keeps things interesting.

Whatever…Hambone has managed to now elevate himself above KDB in my book…and THAT is something I thought was impossible. He’s morphed into a punk narcissist who sees everyone else as the problem while never seeing himself at fault. For some reason NASCAR won’t touch him. The crap he pulled at WWTR this year was every bit as bad as what Byron was fined and docked points for. He needs to be jacked up and shut up IMO.

Denny is a lot more mature than some of the 50 and 60+ year olds that talk sh*t about him 24/7.

Anyways, he and/or Harvick are the lead of the drivers at this moment.
like they say if you not the lead dog the view never changes,i think denny likes being the second dog:rolleyes:

Denny Hamlin used to be one of the most respected drivers in the field. He took NASCAR by storm in his rookie season, which still stands as one of the best rookie campaigns in the history, right up there with Tony Stewart. He had maturity beyond his years & never got into trouble.

Fast forward to 2017, & he has a spat with Chase Elliott @ Martinsville. I think that incident started the downward spiral for Denny in a lot of aspects.

Then there's the fact that he hasn't been able to get through & win a championship. That might be getting to his head.

I still have respect for Hamlin, but if he keeps this up, he's going to surpass Kyle Busch as the most hated driver in the sport. If you told me that 5 years ago, I wouldn't have believed you. But here we are.

He's a hall of famer with fantastic accolades across the board. That said, Hamlin is one of the true veterans left in the field. He needs to understand that people look up to him & needs to set an example for both younger drivers & the fans.

What happened?
What the hell?

Denny may be as well liked now as ever.

Considering how strong of an advocate for driver safety he's been..weird timing for this thread.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Denny Hamlin used to be one of the most respected drivers in the field.

You lost me there.

Guy has always been a prick and that's always been known. By the time he was 30 the arrogance kicked in- that's the only thing that's changed.

Not so swell of a guy off the track too, but you gotta go on Reddit for that 😅

Whatever…Hambone has managed to now elevate himself above KDB in my book…and THAT is something I thought was impossible. He’s morphed into a punk narcissist who sees everyone else as the problem while never seeing himself at fault. For some reason NASCAR won’t touch him. The crap he pulled at WWTR this year was every bit as bad as what Byron was fined and docked points for. He needs to be jacked up and shut up IMO.
He’d fit in well here.

...I don't think Denny ever was that mature.
I like Hamslice and actually agree with this to an extent. I have long since stopped taking his salty trash talking/actions in the heat of the moment seriously (that pretty much applies across the board to all the drivers). As someone else mentioned, I do think that he has matured from his Brad K. feud days to now. I think that becoming a father to two little girls has definitely helped him in the maturity department.

I’ve transitioned in a KDB fan. However when I didn’t root for him, it was fun to root against him. I think Denny is a sh*tty person and I think nascar would be better off without him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denny is fine. Social media makes this kind of thing look bigger than it is.
The same social media that he's constantly using to reach people and make his opinions known?................

You lost me there.

Guy has always been a prick and that's always been known. By the time he was 30 the arrogance kicked in- that's the only thing that's changed.

Not so swell of a guy off the track too, but you gotta go on Reddit for that 😅
It's his off the track character or lack thereof that causes me to dislike him. I have no problem with the way he races or acts for the cameras.

I like Hamslice and actually agree with this to an extent. I have long since stopped taking his salty trash talking/actions in the heat of the moment seriously (that pretty much applies across the board to all the drivers). As someone else mentioned, I do think that he has matured from his Brad K. feud days to now. I think that becoming a father to two little girls has definitely helped him in the maturity department.
Exactly.

Hamlin does draw some of the loudest boo's of any driver so there is that
Not usually one to enter an online discussion over a driver and his talents, demeanor, etc., but Denny is one hard driving shoe. He has accomplished more than most and still is like Mark Martin in trying to win a championship. He's not only a good businessman but a top driver.
His comments of retaliation, well, we'll see. And his off-track performance and personal life are really the business of anyone else other than those directly involved.
Denny is on the downside of a very successful career and it would be nice to see him win a championship. IMO, for what little that is worth, he is deserving of it. Now all he has to do is close the deal.

Back
Top Bottom