What if......

Whiskyb

Team Owner
I messed up in the bold prediction thread first race in. Heres a what if though. Say Mark Martin as a part time driver was to win a race or two. Which he is due. How would nascar feel about a part time driver making the chase? Its kinda a wish of mine to see this happen.

Any other what ifs...

Assuming it were possible, nascar would probably make an anti-part time driver provision or something to make sure it never happened again.

It would be cool though.

Don't think it is possible for Mark to make the top 20 .He would have to get by some very good drivers (Ambrose ,Montoya,Burton and Newman) for a start , then get a win or two . Then there is Denny behind Mark ,is it even possible for him ?

I have more faith (hope) for Mark than Denny. Considering can be a very consistent top fiver when on a roll if not a winner there is a possibility. All it would take is a win or so and some consistent finishing to possibly even get the wild card.

I find this interesting....

Mark Martin has never won a race in any year he ran a part time schedule.

I have more faith (hope) for Mark than Denny. Considering can be a very consistent top fiver when on a roll if not a winner there is a possibility. All it would take is a win or so and some consistent finishing to possibly even get the wild card.

Really ? How many more races is Mark going to miss this year?

OK, staying on the Mark topic. What if RCR brought Mark over next year to work with the Dillon boys and run a few select tracks himself as well? With Harvick gone it would work pretty well

OK, staying on the Mark topic. What if RCR brought Mark over next year to work with the Dillon boys and run a few select tracks himself as well? With Harvick gone it would work pretty well
I could see that , but more likely he will stay at MWR as a mentor , fitness guru , and occassional driver .

Assuming it were possible, nascar would probably make an anti-part time driver provision or something to make sure it never happened again.

It would be cool though.

Why would you think that? Not disagreeing, I just don't understand why NASCAR would be opposed to a part-time driver making the Chase.

Here's something I've always wondered, and I hope it never happens: What if a driver who is solidly in the Chase (say, top 5 in points with 2 or more wins) has a bad wreck in one of the last couple regular-season races and becomes incapacitated, but still qualifies for the Chase based on what they'd done previously. Would they just qualify for the Chase and automatically finish 12th in points? We saw something somewhat similar to this last year when Dale Jr had his concussion, but that was after the Chase had already begun.

Hamlin has missed 5 races and will have trouble making the chase, so that's about as part time a driver can be and still make the chase.

If he was using the bump and go or chrome horn as much as some others he would likely have many more wins. His style is just not that way. Thats one of the rteasons I feel mark in the nationwide is good for the younger drivers. Not a bump and run guy like Busch.

What if a driver who is solidly in the Chase (say, top 5 in points with 2 or more wins) has a bad wreck in one of the last couple regular-season races and becomes incapacitated, but still qualifies for the Chase based on what they'd done previously. Would they just qualify for the Chase and automatically finish 12th in points?
Interesting question. My guess is that driver would qualify for the Chase position; he's earned it. Before the Chase, there were seasons when the eventual champion locked up his title at the next-to-last race, and didn't actually need to run the last race to have enough points. I don't recall any of those drivers choosing to sit out the last race, but I'm sure they would have receive their title had they been physically unable to start (say, playing basketball or falling off a golf cart :cool:)

Regarding finishing 12th, I don't remember how much of a bonus Chase qualifiers get. Is it enough that a strong run by the driver whos started the Chase run in 13th couldn't catch 12th even if 12th didn't run any races?

Interesting question. My guess is that driver would qualify for the Chase position; he's earned it. Before the Chase, there were seasons when the eventual champion locked up his title at the next-to-last race, and didn't actually need to run the last race to have enough points. I don't recall any of those drivers choosing to sit out the last race, but I'm sure they would have receive their title had they been physically unable to start (say, playing basketball or falling off a golf cart :cool:)

Regarding finishing 12th, I don't remember how much of a bonus Chase qualifiers get. Is it enough that a strong run by the driver whos started the Chase run in 13th couldn't catch 12th even if 12th didn't run any races?
Chase guys get 2000 points plus 3 for every one, the 13th place driver is usually somewhere around 700 when the chase starts, so it would be impossible for 13th to catch 12th.

It is not possible for a 13th place driver to take over the 12th spot. NASCAR artificially resets all Chase drivers to 2000 points plus win bonuses.

Why would you think that? Not disagreeing, I just don't understand why NASCAR would be opposed to a part-time driver making the Chase.

It's my opinion that nascar is pretty resistant to anything that might potentially upset the status quo. Imagine if a part-timer making it into the chase pushed out a more popular driver. A very longshot possibility( if even possible), granted. Of course, even if a FULL TIME driver pushed out one of the big cap-and-t shirt-sellers it could, and probably would, be frowned upon by the sanctioning body.

To be fair though, I guess it would really depend on WHO the part time driver was...lol

Nor mine, I think she is fine as is. Would I, Yup. Would I chase it, Nope

Kyle Petty just said on RaceHub, there's no way Hamlin makes the Chase this year.

Kyle Petty just said on RaceHub, there's no way Hamlin makes the Chase this year.
He also said that Kez wouldn't be a threat for the championship this year...and I think I might agree with him on that also.

He also said that Kez wouldn't be a threat for the championship this year...and I think I might agree with him on that also.

I think the #2 team still has yet to really come alive. Each of the last two years they got really hot towards the end of June, beginning of July.

twelve races to go to the chase, and the Fords finished higher than they have almost all year. I can't say if they actually were faster because the Toyotas were turned down, but I think they were a little faster. Even then Kenseth's motor gave up on him. o_O I know the Fords all had a meeting of the minds, and they are also trying to get Nascar to let them make some body changes. I wouldn't count Brad out yet like K.P.

I've been waiting for someone to mention Kenseths engine giving up on him. I have a feeling that this week might also prove to be another "Jimmie Johnson show", which is fortunate for me because I'm a Jimmie fan. I just see the 48 team being that fired up right now! I also have a feeling the 16 team is gonna have a great weekend.
By no means do I think I am 100% right, I just have a feeling of course!

I didn't think Toyota would dial down the power, but they did. Hamlin was the only one saying anything about it after the race. He said he felt he had an eighth place car. Nothing from Kyle and that is probably good, he would have puked all over TRD probably. They had the audio from Matt when his engine went south, but I haven't heard much from the press talking about it. Could be a clam up, or just bad reporting, but loosing an engine after they turn down the power is a story.

What if Danica grew a set of balls? What if Kyle lost some estrogen, what if Wally Dallenbach got hit by a truck. These questions and more on "Let It Happen"... (applause)
:confused:

So what is the problem with Toyota engines? the pieces, the man power putting it together or the drivers right foot?

What if, when qualifying is rained out, they didn't line 'em up for the race with the points leader on the pole . . .

but instead did an inverted start with the points leader starting 43rd and the 43rd place car starting on the pole.

I stole this idea from an article I read but I think it could prove interesting, especially at a track that is favorable to passing.

What if, when qualifying is rained out, they didn't line 'em up for the race with the points leader on the pole . . .

but instead did an inverted start with the points leader starting 43rd and the 43rd place car starting on the pole.

I stole this idea from an article I read but I think it could prove interesting, especially at a track that is favorable to passing.
Indeed but it may lead to loopholes.

Back
Top Bottom