What is the Most Important Suspension Component on a Cup Car?

aunty dive

Team Owner
Contributor
See if we can get a racing discussion going about something other than aerodynamics and the sanctioning body’s never - ceasing quest to defy the laws of physics.

So ... opinions, please.

The truck arms.....more specifically, manipulating the trailing arms in a way that produces more rear steer.

I'm far from an engineer, but clearly the teams with the most resources have found ways to get creative enough to find advantages here.

The truck arms.....more specifically, manipulating the trailing arms in a way that produces more rear steer.

I'm far from an engineer, but clearly the teams with the most resources have found ways to get creative enough to find advantages here.
Yaw.

I’m thinking the driver being able to adjust the brake bias and the trailing arms (am I thinking of the right thing) from within car

I’m thinking the driver being able to adjust the brake bias and the trailing arms (am I thinking of the right thing) from within car
Brake bias and track bar.
I believe driver ability to adjust the track bar is going away next year.

More interest than I thought there would be. Thanks ... please continue.

The answer is out there.

this is number one, shock and springs are 2 and 3

Power steering. Without it most of the drivers couldn't last long.
Nascar is taking away the track bar adjustment and that tells me that few drivers
know how to use it properly and could be why there are so few winners.
Could also explain why JJ isn't running very good. He seems to have the speed etc. but
he sure spins himself out a lot.
So Nascar is taking it away from the others so they can get an 8 time. Maybe.

There is no good one component answer to this question.
All suspension components work in unison to assist in the race car go through the corners and rough spots the best possible way to maintain the best possible tire adhesion to the track.

True they all work in conjunction with each other, the track bar and the shocks are are what they mess with the most. They are locked in with the trailing arms adjustments, but those used to be fiddled with quite a bit. They can do a bit of camber with the rear end, but that is watched closely.

The setup. And the simulation software and hardware used to arrive at the solution(s) on a weekly basis. As the kids song says, "The leg bone connected to the knee bone..."

BTW, the sanctioning body's #1 job is not to defy the laws of physics... but to *manage* the laws of physics relating to aerodynamics.

Last edited:
The setup. And the simulation software and hardware used to arrive at the solution(s) on a weekly basis. As the kids song says, "The leg bone connected to the knee bone..."

BTW, the sanctioning body's #1 job is not to defy the laws of physics... but to *manage* the laws of physics relating to aerodynamics.

I agree as no one has ever said NASCAR must rewrite the laws of physics so IDK why anyone would even mention it. NASCAR should do all they can to mitigate the negative impact physics has on the cars and races.

I don't consider Aero as a suspension component, yeah it affects the suspension, but it is more of a close cousin in my book. The engine is in the same category, both are important but they aren't part of the suspension per say. Unless this is a trick question and that is entirely possible with Aunty involved. ;)

tire stagger. with the cars slammed into the ground, shocks arent very important anymore. I'd kinda like shocks and springs to make a come back.

Do not confuse hardware with software, or with elements of suspension geometry design.

Talk about suspension geometry please. I know that this is tied to the chassis, but what are the basics? What can you move where to affect what? ....If you get what I mean....

Talk about suspension geometry please. I know that this is tied to the chassis, but what are the basics? What can you move where to affect what? ....If you get what I mean....
Good idea for another thread.

If we can get a few peaceful days out of this one, I’ll take a run at it.

great thread...

Capture.PNG

Good idea for another thread.

If we can get a few peaceful days out of this one, I’ll take a run at it.

Thank you. I will be looking for it. Thanks for starting this thread. I love this stuff.

I'd say coil bind shocks

Why has NASCAR insisted on this? Why not dump the coil bind as a way of reducing aero dependence?

There is so damn much cool stuff to the cars of this sport. Whatcha say we get the TV networks to start talking about this again while we wait on the Monster Girls to bring in the younger crowd? LOL

I agree as no one has ever said NASCAR must rewrite the laws of physics so IDK why anyone would even mention it. NASCAR should do all they can to mitigate the negative impact physics has on the cars and races. .
I mentioned it because it’s relevant to the ongoing rule-changing exercises undertaken by the sanctioning body and relevant to this particular thread topic.

Its front end geometry, spindle height / A-arm length = camber curve & RC height + bump & toe steer.

Play with your rear ends all you like if the nose won't roll the corner your dragging the front end due to tire scrub
= your backing up.

Its front end geometry, spindle height / A-arm length = camber curve & RC height + bump & toe steer.

Play with your rear ends all you like if the nose won't roll the corner your dragging the front end due to tire scrub
= your backing up.
You understand this stuff. I’ll look forward to your input later on.

I can see that I should have been more specific. A suspension component is something that can be built in-house or purchased from a supplier. Hardware.

Especially with the Gen 6, I would say the springs with the noted spring rates are definately important, especially on the sensitive front end. Not to mention with the splitter there is legitimately a fine line to walk. Springs are too soft? The splitter is going to be off of the track in the air reducing the front downforce needed for turn in. It also depends on what the driver feels and input as well. Springs are too firm? Splitter is going to not be happy scraping against the asphalt. Then the car becomes a nightmare to turn in with the front of the car having the tendency to wash away from being too tight.

Track bar is important as well which is the anti-roll bar to allow drivers to control how they go about rolling in the center of a corner. Honestly, the entire suspension system is extremely complex and learning the ins and outs would be pretty cool IMHO.

I can see that I should have been more specific. A suspension component is something that can be built in-house or purchased from a supplier. Hardware.
You're not making it easy. There's so much in the set up that this could turn into a multi part, multi year mini series like the Walking Dead!
Tire pressure can't be built or bought but can alter handling drastically. Tires act like springs. Spring rate split. Caster/camber and toe. Equal/unequal A arms. Shocks are a Black Art. Then there's steering Ackermann.
Teams lost the ability to play with stagger when they went to the radial.

Why has NASCAR insisted on this? Why not dump the coil bind as a way of reducing aero dependence?

Nascar didn't insist on anything. When coil bind occurs aprox 4 times the force is exerted on the tire (grip). You and YOUR Toyota's should know this. Why? they used to not have the coil bind setup, they had trick shocks to defeat the ride height rule. Dropped at speed, popped back up when they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom