What is your favorite thing to see in a race?

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
Do you like fast speeds, more passes for the lead? A new comer winning.....
Perhaps great saves, blocks?

I love to see good driving, also short track beating and banging.
Last lap crazy block Blaney put on to win dega kicked butt.

Interested in seeing what others like to see.

I like lots of on-track back-and-forth passing. Don't mind some rubbin' and bangin' as long as it doesn't wreck anybody... although I do tolerate payback (as long as nobody ends up in the hospital or the morgue).

Competition for the lead. Don't need passes, but keep it close. Nothing is more boring than the leader 6 seconds up on second place

Drivers putting their car on the edge

A track with multiple speed lanes

Long green runs but with multiple leaders

Leaders finding inventive ways to maintain speed/improve position around lappers

The crossover move

Races/tracks/setups where drivers’ skill is a big part of equation

A pit crew that really has its s**t together

And this may seem nit-picky but I love old-school paint jobs/color schemes with only one or two primary colors and a nice contrasty number on the side. Some of these rigs out there look like they were designed to be rolling vomit.
_____

As far as blocking, I know it’s a part of racing and on some tracks it’s even necessary but repeated blocking belongs in the America’s Cup, not NASCAR.

long runs, i dont even watch stage 1 anymore bc its meaningless.

Drivers putting their car on the edge

A track with multiple speed lanes

Long green runs but with multiple leaders

Leaders finding inventive ways to maintain speed/improve position around lappers

The crossover move

Races/tracks/setups where drivers’ skill is a big part of equation

A pit crew that really has its s**t together

And this may seem nit-picky but I love old-school paint jobs/color schemes with only one or two primary colors and a nice contrasty number on the side. Some of these rigs out there look like they were designed to be rolling vomit.
_____

As far as blocking, I know it’s a part of racing and on some tracks it’s even necessary but repeated blocking belongs in the America’s Cup, not NASCAR.

Pretty much works for me, although I have never been as anti-caution as most of you guys. As long as they are legitimate, I think they serve a useful purpose.

I love short track racing and maybe a little strange but I like to see a car turning laps with no front fenders and hood :-D Most recent favorite I think it was the spring 2014 Martinsville race was Kurt Busch's debut year with SHR or maybe it was 2015. But him and Kez got to beating and banging after he ran into Kez exiting his put stall. Kez ended up turning laps with no front clip which I think was from another incident lol. Kurt's car was beat up and he complained on the radio his day was over but that car was dialed in and would not be denied. He was passing everybody with ease and put it in victory lane.

3 x 3 stops me in my tracks every time, with my jaw hung open.

1593641687360.png

Here is my prescription for a great race, roughly in order of importance...

1. A contest of skill with a high degree of difficulty. The cars and the track are compatible to create a stern test of racing/driving skill. Nascar's current rules (low power / high downforce / high drag) leave me grumpy and unsatisfied on this crucial parameter on intermediate tracks. The 2018 rules were close to perfect for me.

2. Close competition especially up front, includes some passing, some comers and goers. Passing is not easy, but is possible. (If passing is easy, then each pass is meaningless... you get an illusion of good racing, but not genuine good racing.)

3. It only takes two to make a great race *if* all the stars align, but a deep field of potential winners is a big plus. If it's the same two or three up front every week, that gets old in a hurry.

4. The outcome of the race remains in doubt until the end. If "my driver" wins or is in contention to win, that adds to my enjoyment of the race, but that doesn't make it a good race. If my driver utterly dominates, I'll enjoy the domination but admit it wasn't a great race. Same thing when my football team wins 42-3.

5. Plus factors, nice to have but not essential: a really big race such as a crown jewel event or a championship-deciding race; an epic comeback; an underdog upset winner.

Do you like fast speeds, more passes for the lead? A new comer winning.....
Perhaps great saves, blocks?

I love to see good driving, also short track beating and banging.
Last lap crazy block Blaney put on to win dega kicked butt.

Interested in seeing what others like to see.

Did you like the block, or when he crashed Erik Jones?

Night time racing, rear bumper cam looking out the back (along with the sound), the suspense of cautions coming out at certain times, everyone on pit road at the same time and the race off of it, paint schemes of cars, fire and sparks, the big one and Nichol Briscoe

The pursuit, one position closing on another, the interval closes, then the interval grows as they search out lines and learn how deep they can drive in and how fast they can return throttle. The thrill of the chase, the closing laps, will he catch him? Can he hold him off? I love it.

Caution-free racing with lots of tire & fuel strategy that results in comers & goers every pit cycle.

Back
Top Bottom