What kind of car do you drive?

I forgot a couple of cars the hubby and I owned.
Had a badass little white Gremlin that I loved.
Also had an old Jeep Wagoneer 4 wheel drive. I swear in Granny Low that thing would have climbed the side of a house.
At 100K, I pulled the motor and did a complete overhaul. Yes, I did it. Husband was sick for a week, so it was my job.

I forgot a couple of cars the hubby and I owned.
Had a badass little white Gremlin that I loved.
Also had an old Jeep Wagoneer 4 wheel drive. I swear in Granny Low that thing would have climbed the side of a house.
At 100K, I pulled the motor and did a complete overhaul. Yes, I did it. Husband was sick for a week, so it was my job.
Now I really respect you for that task..... that's really something!!!!!!!:cheers:

1950 Ford coupe, flathead eight 3 on the tree.
1954 Ford Crestline, V8 automatic.
1953 Chevrolet Bel Air V8 3 on the tree
1967 Comet Cyclone GT, 390 cid v8, 4 on the floor.
1970 Torino GT 351 cleveland 4 bbl, 4 on the floor etc.
1976 Gran Torino 351 cid Modified V8, 4 on the floor.
Starting in 1981 until the present it was Dodge pickups and a couple of Jeeps. This is my hunting and fishing truck.

View attachment 26791

View attachment 26792

And this is my Everyday driver and RV hauler. 2014 Ram 1500 quad, 5.7 Hemi Big Horn.

View attachment 26793

My first car was a 1950 ford ........ I was 12 years old and bought it at an auction for 40 dollars !!! my mom drove it home

My first car was a 1950 ford ........ I was 12 years old and bought it at an auction for 40 dollars !!! my mom drove it home
I love it!!!!! Both you and Johali's...... When I growing up my next door neighbors were always into cars...... my friend was 4 or 5 years older than me... he was always buying and selling old Fords mostly.... usually '55 and '56... but also had some old Pontiacs and such..... about '70.... he bought a 32 Ford 5 window off a used car lot..... it was beautiful..... lots of chrome and dependable as the day is long..... 600 bucks..... everyone said... ''Why would want to buy an old car like that?''....... He invested and kept a lot of cars he bought about that time..... a '63 Galazie convertible.... (390 4 speed)..... 67 Camaro convertible... (327 4 speed)..... 68 Cobra Jet.....

I haven't seen him in over 30 years but I'll bet he still has them all...... and no telling how many more.........

I love it!!!!! Both you and Johali's...... When I growing up my next door neighbors were always into cars...... my friend was 4 or 5 years older than me... he was always buying and selling old Fords mostly.... usually '55 and '56... but also had some old Pontiacs and such..... about '70.... he bought a 32 Ford 5 window off a used car lot..... it was beautiful..... lots of chrome and dependable as the day is long..... 600 bucks..... everyone said... ''Why would want to buy an old car like that?''....... He invested and kept a lot of cars he bought about that time..... a '63 Galazie convertible.... (390 4 speed)..... 67 Camaro convertible... (327 4 speed)..... 68 Cobra Jet.....

I haven't seen him in over 30 years but I'll bet he still has them all...... and no telling how many more.........

My best friend owned and drove a 64 galaxie 500 xl convertable ...... still drives it

My best friend owned and drove a 64 galaxie 500 xl convertable ...... still drives it
That's great...... I loved the XL's...... bucket seats all around!!!!! I have had the chance to accidentally see 2 '64 XL's with 427's in the last few years..... 1 a local Ford dealer .... while in the shop, I spotted it and walked over.... it had a 2x4 setup..... AWESOME!!!!!! The other....... I was doing work on farm equipment for a customer and he had a few old tractors and stuff..... I spotted this '64 XL sitting in the back covered in dust...... walked back and saw the 427 emblem..... he told me his son bought it in North Carolina years ago and drove it back and parked it in his barn...... this is in Tennessee....... 4 speed car with the dealer installed chrome underhood package......

That's great...... I loved the XL's...... bucket seats all around!!!!! I have had the chance to accidentally see 2 '64 XL's with 427's in the last few years..... 1 a local Ford dealer .... while in the shop, I spotted it and walked over.... it had a 2x4 setup..... AWESOME!!!!!! The other....... I was doing work on farm equipment for a customer and he had a few old tractors and stuff..... I spotted this '64 XL sitting in the back covered in dust...... walked back and saw the 427 emblem..... he told me his son bought it in North Carolina years ago and drove it back and parked it in his barn...... this is in Tennessee....... 4 speed car with the dealer installed chrome underhood package......

Big heavy cars, but nice

Well hell since we're sharing pictures, here's the taco. Think I'm just going to leave it alone as far as modifications go. It's ****** perfect.
IMG_2868.JPG

1975 Pontiac LeMans
1977 Pontiac LeMans
1985 Pontiac Fiero
1985 Toyota p/u 2wd
1981 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am
1993 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo
1981 Diesel Cadillac
2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1996 Jeep Cherokee V6
2008 Subaru WRX

The Talon, the Taco, and the Rex tho. Good list, sir.

Currently, an 07 Civic. It's been a great car. The only thing is it's awful on snow/ice. I hate when winter comes.

Hopefully, down the road i'll be able to get something different and it'll be a manual, whatever it is.

No pics, because my car's haven't been that cool:

2001 Infinity QX4 - great little v6 crossover 4x4 I learned to drive on, until the thing rusted to **** after 10 years.
2009 Nissan Altima S - The 6 selectable"gears" make it reasonably fun to drive for a four banger economy car, so much so that if I ever get a performance car I want a manual. Problem is, I have no idea how to drive one. What do you mean I have to use my left foot??

The 6 selectable"gears" make it reasonably fun to drive for a four banger economy car, so much so that if I ever get a performance car I want a manual. Problem is, I have no idea how to drive one. What do you mean I have to use my left foot??

Don't worry, it's incredibly easy. After 20 minutes or so in a parking lot, you'll feel comfortable enough to drive on public roads after you get the basics down. First gear takes a little practice but once you get the hang of that, it's all gravy. Eventually driving a stick becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.

When given the option, always go manual. :cheers:

1950 Ford coupe, flathead eight 3 on the tree.
Great memories! I can't match you guys, but my first "car" was a 1949 Ford Flathead that was given to my friend and I for $0 at about age 12. No body at all, but complete running gear plus a seat. We towed it home from the county fair, where it was part of a scout exhibit. It became our scouting project. We disassembled the motor and trans under the guidance of our neighbor Andy, who knew about that kind of stuff. We never got it back together..:oops:

There have been a lot of cool cars and bikes since then. Currently a Nissan Murano, Ducati 999, Triumph Speed Triple, and Triumph 675 Daytona. Both Triumphs are pretty stock, but the Ducati is heavily breathed upon for roadracing. Trouble is I can't fit it since both knees were rebuilt three years ago, so I plan to sell it soon.

The Talon, the Taco, and the Rex tho. Good list, sir.
Thank you. The Talon was a good fast car, but when the mechanical problems started, they didn't end. That car was not meant for a 16 year old at the time. Both of my Toyotas were the best vehicles I ever owned. I sold the 2wd(like a dummy), and rolled the Taco 3 or 4 times(that thing was a tank). I drove it home totaled. I like the Rex...super fun to drive, but the novelty wears off after awhile. It does go better in the snow than any vehicle I've owned, but I only get snow a couple of times a year. I was in between decent cars with that Diesel Caddy. It had a broken motor mount and would throw the belt about every three weeks. I can't tell you how many times I had to rig it up with pantyhose to make it home. :)

No pics, because my car's haven't been that cool:

2001 Infinity QX4 - great little v6 crossover 4x4 I learned to drive on, until the thing rusted to sh!t after 10 years.
2009 Nissan Altima S - The 6 selectable"gears" make it reasonably fun to drive for a four banger economy car, so much so that if I ever get a performance car I want a manual. Problem is, I have no idea how to drive one. What do you mean I have to use my left foot??
I learned to drive a stick by going up and down our driveway. 1st gear drive 30 ft then backup 30 foot. Didnt take long. lol

I learned to drive a stick by going up and down our driveway. 1st gear drive 30 ft then backup 30 foot. Didnt take long. lol
I stalled a couple of times when I got my learner's permit and off I went. I was like a duck to water. I do remember the first time I was on the steepest hill I know of that has a stoplight. I did fine but damn was I nervous. I chirped the tires taking off.

Middle age crazy. Bought me a 5.0 Mustang convertible w/ a 5 speed.

Oldest daughter wanted to drive it. Did alright ‘til I stopped her on a hill. She eventually got it thru the intersection ‘n back to the house where she stopped it in the middle of the street. Got it out of gear ‘n asked me to make sure – it was. She unbuckled the belt, got out ‘n walked off. Left the door open too.

Middle age crazy. Bought me a 5.0 Mustang convertible w/ a 5 speed.

Oldest daughter wanted to drive it. Did alright ‘til I stopped her on a hill. She eventually got it thru the intersection ‘n back to the house where she stopped it in the middle of the street. Got it out of gear ‘n asked me to make sure – it was. She unbuckled the belt, got out ‘n walked off. Left the door open too.
Kids. :rolleyes:

I tried teaching both my son & daughter how to drive a manual. I thought the both of them on a little Honda Civic. My son figured it out pretty quick. My daughter didn't. He now drives a 5-speed and my daughter drives an auto.

I learned to drive a manual by driving my father's old Ford dump-truck. Big ol' gearshift on the floor with a wide 4-speed pattern. When I shifted gears in that thing I had to adjust myself on the bench-seat. It was a long way from 2nd to 3rd.

My wife knew how to drive MT long before I met her. She always wanted a Jeep so I got one for her a couple years ago. It's a 6-speed. She drives it like a champ on and off road. It came with something called 'hill assist' turned on. One of the first things I did was turn it off. The only time we use it is when we go 4-wheelin' and have to stop on extremely steep inclines.

Driving a manual is a non thought on a daily basis. I've read a lot of past posts about how they are too much work in cities and the like. Makes no difference to me. It just comes naturally.

Don't worry, it's incredibly easy. After 20 minutes or so in a parking lot, you'll feel comfortable enough to drive on public roads after you get the basics down. First gear takes a little practice but once you get the hang of that, it's all gravy. Eventually driving a stick becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.

When given the option, always go manual. :cheers:
Unless most of your driving is at rush hour. :cool:

In order from first car to present:

1997 Dodge Intrepid
1998 Nissan Maxima 5-speed
2000 Nissan Maxima
1997 Honda Civic Hatch
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6-speed
2000 Honda Accord 5-speed
2004 Honda Accord Coupe V6
2001 Nissan Maxima 5-Speed
2000 Ford Mustang GT 5-speed
2004 Mazda 6 5-speed
1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS 6-Speed
2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan
2014 Infiniti Q50S (my only and current car)

The only car I regret selling is my 1999 Camaro SS 6-speed with 36k miles on it. I wish I kept it, and Ill be looking for another one, or possibly a Trans Am WS6.

camaroforsale_01_zpsaj5cuc8x.jpg

camaroforsale_02_zps6snlyca4.jpg

camaroforsale_04_zpsgxmtehg0.jpg

I drove a little bit of everything 'n only one had an automatic transmission.

Youngest daughter knew full well the Civic she picked out had a five speed she’d never tried to operate. Wanted that one because none of her friends had one that color.

I drove it home. She took it around the neighborhood, alone, for a l’il over an hour. Told her to leave it at the curb ‘n I’d drive it up – literally – the drive. When she got home she drove it up the drive herownself. Anywhere she had to go from then on she went.

We towed it home from the county fair, where it was part of a scout exhibit. It became our scouting project. We disassembled the motor and trans under the guidance of our neighbor Andy, who knew about that kind of stuff. We never got it back together.
As a scouting project we also rebuilt an engine. The older guys did the work and I watched. They broke some bolts because someone read the wrong torque spec. We learned how to remove busted bolts. I learned how to work on my first car (with the help of a neighbor), it was an economic necessity. The only thing I'll do on a new car is change the air filter.

The only car I regret selling is my 1999 Camaro SS 6-speed with 36k miles on it. I wish I kept it, and Ill be looking for another one, or possibly a Trans Am WS6.

camaroforsale_01_zpsaj5cuc8x.jpg

camaroforsale_02_zps6snlyca4.jpg

camaroforsale_04_zpsgxmtehg0.jpg

Beautiful!

It's getting tough to find a low mileage 6-speed f-body in good condition these days. As much as I miss my 4th gen and would love to have another, I've decided my next car will be a 5th gen 1LE.

Kids. :rolleyes:

I tried teaching both my son & daughter how to drive a manual. I thought the both of them on a little Honda Civic. My son figured it out pretty quick. My daughter didn't. He now drives a 5-speed and my daughter drives an auto.

I learned to drive a manual by driving my father's old Ford dump-truck. Big ol' gearshift on the floor with a wide 4-speed pattern. When I shifted gears in that thing I had to adjust myself on the bench-seat. It was a long way from 2nd to 3rd.

My wife knew how to drive MT long before I met her. She always wanted a Jeep so I got one for her a couple years ago. It's a 6-speed. She drives it like a champ on and off road. It came with something called 'hill assist' turned on. One of the first things I did was turn it off. The only time we use it is when we go 4-wheelin' and have to stop on extremely steep inclines.

Driving a manual is a non thought on a daily basis. I've read a lot of past posts about how they are too much work in cities and the like. Makes no difference to me. It just comes naturally.
Get something with a 3 speed on the column. That'll confuse the hell out of em!

Beautiful!

It's getting tough to find a low mileage 6-speed f-body in good condition these days. As much as I miss my 4th gen and would love to have another, I've decided my next car will be a 5th gen 1LE.
I always liked the 1LE 5th gen cars, my only gripe was weight and the outward visibility. I am wondering what they are going for these days?

2014-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z_28-29-627x417.jpg

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera (Hand me down from my Grandma, had to hand it over to my cousin at 120k miles. Great car)
2001 Chevy Impala (Hand me down from my father. I now know why he wanted to get rid of it. It was a total lemon.)
2006 Buick Lacrosse (First car (used) I bought on my own. Great car. Silky smooth ride, very little maintenance.)
2014 Ram 1500 (First car I bought new and probably the last. Love this truck and plan to keep it forever. Bought new, because used trucks were about the same price and had 30k miles on them already.)

Good thread OP!

I always liked the 1LE 5th gen cars, my only gripe was weight and the outward visibility. I am wondering what they are going for these days?

Mid 20's depending on mileage. There's a '15 1LE with 16k miles at a dealer in Virginia right now, they are asking $26k. Unfortunately it's yellow.

I'll probably start seriously looking for one this fall.

Mid 20's depending on mileage. There's a '15 1LE with 16k miles at a dealer in Virginia right now, they are asking $26k. Unfortunately it's yellow.

I'll probably start seriously looking for one this fall.

Yellow is probably one of the best colors on the Camaro though.

That and some black rims, you're set.

Back
Top Bottom