what track

Since no one took a shot at my dirt track it was Airport Speedway in New Castle Delaware 1/8th mile for microsprints.

I drive by it on the way to my favorite vacation destination. It felt super weird driving by for the first time. Took about 5 years for them to put a sign up. In the middle of absolutely bum**** nowhere.

I drive by it on the way to my favorite vacation destination. It felt super weird driving by for the first time. Took about 5 years for them to put a sign up. In the middle of absolutely bum**** nowhere.
Yeah I was just reading about Desert Center on wikipedia, crazy sounding place.

Yeah I was just reading about Desert Center on wikipedia, crazy sounding place.

The area is awesome with tons of history. I love tiny desert towns.

An easier one but still a track with an interesting past.
4562823793_bc35a2675b_b.jpg

Ok here is a hard one unless you have a good knowledge of obscure exhibition races
phakisa.png

Very Good! Winchester it is. Formerly known as Bob Senneker's personal playground. Recent Winchester 400 winners include Kyle Busch, Chase Elliott, Eric Jones (X3) and Noah Gragson. In April 2001, I did my very first pit stop there. I carried front tires.

Here's one from back in the day where critics of auto racing were correct when saying that "the cars just go around in circles."

langhorne speedway.jpg

langhorne cars.jpg

That would be Langhorne Speedway, Pennsylvania. One of the most treacherous race tracks to ever operate.

Ok here is a hard one unless you have a good knowledge of obscure exhibition races
View attachment 37380

Phakisa, South Africa... ASA ran here.

Salem Speedway

View attachment 37403

How about this one? An iconic short track.

I love Winchester Speedway. Been trying to make my way back there.
That is a prototype of the track that Tony Stewart wanted after he was in the big one at Dega?

Funny story about that. There were a lot of rumors a while back about Tony Stewart buying Salem.

Good ole Salem. Great racing, but it was the WORST track on the ARCA circuit from a crew perspective. They always parked the haulers outside of turn four, which turned into a swamp when it rained. The crossover gate was just about impossible for the haulers to negotiate, the pit road was narrow and uneven, and there was about two places on the entire pit road you could get accurate chassis measurements. The infield was mucky when it rained, the bathrooms sucked and you were trapped in the infield (and away from your hauler) if there was on track activity. I ended up crewing more races there than any other track, including my very last one, and I cussed it every time we went there. I even got in hot water with ARCA for openly criticizing the track on the ARCA website. As I said, the on track product is good, and I respect the enormous history of the place, but at least in the early 2000's the place was a dump.

Well, no grandstands or much parking, so it doesn't host spectator events. Obviously flat territory, with a canal or levee beside it.

I'll guess somewhere along the Mississippi River. It's not NOLA.

EDIT - It is an abomination unto the sight of the Racing Gods and shall not be abided.

I mean, really? That makes Charlotte's Roval look like it was intentionally built as an R/C from the very beginning. I assume the left / back straightaway originally connected directly to the turn at the very top.

Didn't Prince use that layout as a replacement for his name for a while? Do the track fees include Dramamine?

My gawd, that's fugly. I wouldn't wish that into the F1 schedule.

Back
Top Bottom