What would you change about the Chase format?

Lazyking

Over the Cassill we go
Honestly, I love it, with minor tweaks, like more points for winning per race and if I could, I'd alter the chase scheduale to have a road course, short track, mile, mile and a half and RP race..

The actual setup is pretty good in my opinion. I like that wins mean alot and I like that because of the chase, the champion isn't usually decided til the last race.

So, what would you change about the format if anything?

I would take at least one of the mile and a half dates out. Theres hardly variety in the chase races. Darlington would be awesome.

Make the Chase field 10 drivers again, period. Add Darlington & a road race...

All great suggestions listed above and I agree with most of them.

When NASCAR started the chase, I decided to take a wait and see approach before I judged the change. It has been in place for several years now and I have grown fond of the format. Like others, I have a few ideas I think would improve the chase.

1. Include a couple of road courses in the chase.
2. Increase the chase field to anyone who is mathematically capable of advancing to the front up to and including the last race of each season.
3. Extend the chase from ten races to thirty-six races.

The playoff format isn't going anywhere . Except for Andy , it seems to be accepted as a fact of life . I just want them to leave it alone . No tweaking each year just to appease the current fan whim.

Only change I'd make: in addition to the 3 bonus points per win when the Chase starts, also give drivers an additional 2 points for every position above 11th they finished the regular season. For example, if a driver has 3 wins and is 4th in points after Race #26, thwy start the Chase with 2,023 points (2,000 + 9 pts for wins + 14 pts for points position).

My biggest beef with the Chase is that you can have a driver who's led the points all year that has 2 wins, and a driver that's 10th in points with 3 wins, and when the Chase starts the guy in 10th would leap-frog the guy in 1st just because he won 1 more race. There needs to be some reward for consistency in the regular season.

The playoff format isn't going anywhere . Except for Andy , it seems to be accepted as a fact of life . I just want them to leave it alone . No tweaking each year just to appease the current fan whim.

"Except for Andy". Except, there are three other people, already, who have posted in this thread (or liked posts in this thread) that agree with Andy. Nice try though. #fail

Spinach isn't going anywhere either but I still don't like it. When my wife serves it for dinner I still eat it though. I don't think anyone is under the misconception that the Chase will suddenly disappear. I was a fan of the pre-Chase format but really would have liked to have seen the current points structure run through the complete season. I liked it much better when the championship was earned by being the best over the entire season. NASCAR isn't every other sport and it doesn't need to try to mirror other playoff structures.

Since it is here to stay, drop a 1.5er from it and add a road course to make it more of a representation of the regular seasons tracks.

The last 10 races should not determine a champion of a 36 race season. It's stupid to have a playoff type schedule when the other 31 cars that are "eliminated" are still competing for wins. I would get rid of it completely because the way the points system runs now, I don't think anyone can run away with it. Go back to the old system but keep the current system of earning points. But this is never going to happen so, if the last 10 races are to determine the champion, make sure there is a well rounded track selection. 3 aeropush tracks, 3 short tracks, both super speedways, both Infineon and Pocono.

Assuming we have to keep it:

Top 12 drivers get in, but the Top 12 is determined by the number of races that they have won. A Minor amount Bonus points are given for seeding. Tiebreakers (e.g. 4 guys are tied at 12th with 1 win each) are broken by number of 2nd places, then 3rd places, etc.

Would change the tracks, except for some, Brickyard has the chase starter, followed by Bristol night race, followed by Watkins.

I would, as others have said, expand the Chase to 36 races and include every track, and also make a very slight adjustment to the points system - one more bonus point for winning and one more for leading the most laps. That makes the max points 50 and rewards front-running a little more.

If that never happens, I'd like to see one more short track and one road course at the expense of two of the 1.5-mile tracks.

If we have to keep it than the chasers should have a separate points system. If the other 31 cars don't count for points why should they be able to cost the Chasers points?

If we have to keep it than the chasers should have a separate points system. If the other 31 cars don't count for points why should they be able to cost the Chasers points?

It's fundamentally flawed. The purpose of it's creation was to crown a National Champion in a playoff series because the series had a northern tour and a southern tour. That doesn't work for NASCAR.

Now, that'd be a great format for the K&N Series. Have an East champion and a West champion and hold a national championship series during the winter months (let's say Irwindale, Tucson, Pensacola, New Smyrna and, I don't know, Myrtle Beach).

Let me tell you where that goes bad.

Okay, say we go to Talladega and the big one takes out say 5 or 6 of the chasers, and they finish like somewhere between 24-36(counting the other drivers not int the chase who also was in it) and only one of them finishes in the top 10, the ones in the big one make close to what the one in the top ten makes, that's not really making it so you got to even finish good to win the championship.

Let me tell you where that goes bad.

Okay, say we go to Talladega and the big one takes out say 5 or 6 of the chasers, and they finish like somewhere between 24-36(counting the other drivers not int the chase who also was in it) and only one of them finishes in the top 10, the ones in the big one make close to what the one in the top ten makes, that's not really making it so you got to even finish good to win the championship.

Because, once again, the Chase is fundamentally flawed. NASCAR thought this gimmick was so awesome that football fans would just stop watching football altogether and start watching NASCAR.

Because, once again, the Chase is fundamentally flawed. NASCAR thought this gimmick was so awesome that football fans would just stop watching football altogether and start watching NASCAR.

Sad but true.

NASCAR wasn't broke after Kenseth won the championship with just one victory under his belt.

What they've done to "fix" it makes me cringe.

I know I've said it a dozen times, but this is what I would like to see...(big font because what I say is too important for those small letters)

1) Chase is UP TO 36 races long.
2) Chase ends when title is clinched and all point positions are frozen.
3) The balance of the 36 race schedule is billed as the 'Mad Dogs, Raw Meat' series, with the following rule changes.

A) No points will be awarded, but all races will have 2 tire compounds to choose from with no rules as to how you use them.
B) Main and backup cars must have competed in a prior points race.
C) NO PRACTICE AT ALL. 2 split field qualifying races will determine the 20 drivers who make the main. (Perhaps the balance of the entries can run a short race on Friday for a small purse to help cover expenses)
D) All 20 drivers in the main will recieve a small and equal share of the purse for starting the race.
E) The top 6 finishers will share purse money as follows:
1st place gets 40%.
2nd thru 6th share 40% equally.
7th thru 20th share 20% equally.

Winning means everything, and payback or rough racing doesn't affect the championship. Let 'er rip and we'll see some old school racing!

I know I've said it a dozen times, but this is what I would like to see...(big font because what I say is too important for those small letters)

1) Chase is UP TO 36 races long.
2) Chase ends when title is clinched and all point positions are frozen.
3) The balance of the 36 race schedule is billed as the 'Mad Dogs, Raw Meat' series, with the following rule changes.

A) No points will be awarded, but all races will have 2 tire compounds to choose from with no rules as to how you use them.
B) Main and backup cars must have competed in a prior points race.
C) NO PRACTICE AT ALL. 2 split field qualifying races will determine the 20 drivers who make the main. (Perhaps the balance of the entries can run a short race on Friday for a small purse to help cover expenses)
D) All 20 drivers in the main will recieve a small and equal share of the purse for starting the race.
E) The top 6 finishers will share purse money as follows:
1st place gets 40%.
2nd thru 6th share 40% equally.
7th thru 20th share 20% equally.

Winning means everything, and payback or rough racing doesn't affect the championship. Let 'er rip and we'll see some old school racing!
Damn.

I didn't know this many hate the playoff chase. I've seen too many years growing up where the title was decided pretty early, or there was only two guys who could possibly win it. I understand the chase is a gimmick but I don't think it's bad one done right.. Just needs a good balance to make every race matter.

The Chase needs to have different tracks on the schedule for some variety. I hate seeing the same tracks being a part of this thing every year. I would at least take out Chicago or Kansas (same track config), take out Texas or Charlotte (same track config), take out Loudon and add in Bristol, a road course, and Darlington or something that's different. I'd also mix up the running order a bit. Heck, the whole schedule needs a reset to make things more interesting.

I am not big on the chase but knowing we will keep it here are my changes.

Drop all 1.5 mile tracks but Charlotte. Take Talladega out of the chase.
Add in Watkins Glen, Darlington, Rockingham, and Wilksboro. Martinville is the finale.

The chase drivers would be on a different point system.
Only the top 10 among the 12 finishers receive points.
The overall lap leader gets 2 bonous points, the leader of the 2nd most laps gets 1 point (if a non chase driver leads most, then none of the chase contenders get the bonus)
One mulligan: so a drivers worst race doesn't count.
All of the rules or points awarding are intended to reward the fastest and risk takers.

Winner 20 points
2nd 15 points
3rd 12 points
4th 10
5th 8 points
6th , 6 points
7th 4 points
8th 3 points
9th 2 points
10 th 1point

As an old fart I'm reluctant to embrace change. But I'm used to the chase now, I think it creates a new interest in the final races as compared to the old days when the championship was pretty much set a month or two before the end of the season. I really like the current points system (except for the chase bonus).

I'd keep all the drivers on the current points system and have just the top 10 drivers to use the chase to compete for the Cup using a separate scoring system (positions 2 on back use the current scoring system for final season standings).

this year is a good example. Johnson is so far out front you can't see him. Any downturn in ratings the bean counters would be blaming on Johnson's lead and trying to get a refund on their TV contracts. Debris cautions keep the racing close, the chase is for the bean counters and their desire to fill air time and most importantly, to keep Nacar in the money.

The chase is the #1 thing I dislike in NASCAR (even more than Cup regulars in the lower series). The champion each year should be whoever is the best driver that year, not whoever is the best in only the last 10 races.

Instead of competing for the championship all season, drivers compete for the top 10 or a WC until the chase begins each year.

I'm not a fan of the Chase but as long as we're making changes to it, how 'bout making it an elimination series ?

The 10 race Chase would start out with 12 drivers.

In the first race, the worst finisher among the 12 drivers is eliminated, leaving 11 drivers in contention for the championship.

In each of the next 8 races another driver is eliminated, leaving 3 drivers in contention for the championship going into the last race.

Of those three drivers, the one with the best finish in the last race wins the championship.

In effect, this system would mirror the elimination aspects of the ball and stick sports, as well as bringing over the concept of awarding the championship to the surviving contender that performed best in the last event of the season.

get rid of the chase and let there be a winner just like it was. take the top ten and put them in identical prepared cars. have these races during the time off between seasons. Race in the south and even into South America where it is still warm enough to race.

Honestly, I love it, with minor tweaks, like more points for winning per race and if I could, I'd alter the chase scheduale to have a road course, short track, mile, mile and a half and RP race..

The actual setup is pretty good in my opinion. I like that wins mean alot and I like that because of the chase, the champion isn't usually decided til the last race.

So, what would you change about the format if anything?

I say we slash JJ's tires every chance we get during the chase...thats the only way to stop him from winning his 6th

Does that count as a change?

I didn't know this many hate the playoff chase. I've seen too many years growing up where the title was decided pretty early, or there was only two guys who could possibly win it. I understand the chase is a gimmick but I don't think it's bad one done right.. Just needs a good balance to make every race matter.

I think the way the points are doled out now would tighten the field up towards the end of the season.

With just one point per position and all...

this year is a good example. Johnson is so far out front you can't see him. Any downturn in ratings the bean counters would be blaming on Johnson's lead and trying to get a refund on their TV contracts. Debris cautions keep the racing close, the chase is for the bean counters and their desire to fill air time and most importantly, to keep Nacar in the money.

I've heard this a few times recently but I think it's underestimated how much things can change in a hurry with the new system. After dominating at Pocono Jimmie was 51 ahead of 2nd-place Edwards. He overdrives his car at Michigan and gets outrun at Sonoma and now he's only 25 ahead of Carl and Bowyer is also within one race of the lead at 45 back.

Also, going by last season's race results, the championship battle actually would've been closer under the traditional non-Chase format. Keselowski still would have won, but it would have been by only 19 points over Biffle and 28 over Johnson. This obviously doesn't take into account how differently drivers would have raced and teams would have prepared knowing there wasn't going to be a reset, but it's still a clear indication you can have a close championship battle without some goofy playoff.

Back
Top Bottom